Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescribs18
Stranger
Are my friends going to die.
    #1960969 - 09/28/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I dont really have time to sit on the internet and look for information about these shrooms my friends went in to the woods picked and ate. Im going to give the best description with what is left over and what they are telling me. The shrooms where around moss and mulch in the middle in the woods with alot of trees around( maple birth i dont think this will help but im giving everything i can) The shrooms have purple caps with a white ring going around the so called "stem". There are gills and they are purple also. I said so called stem but they don't seem to have stems!! Where the stems should be there is a sort of bubble stem( that is also purple ). I broke apart the shrooms and on the inside its white. I took them apart about 20 mins ago an they have no blue bruising WHAT SO EVER! neither do any of the ones that are still whole.( they have been touched and picked, still no blue ) The only thing that I can see that would be classified as a color change is that they only are getting darker no blue. They smell like dirt and my idiot friends are telling me that they taste like regular mushrooms that you would buy at the store. I cant make any sort of spore print because they are all torn up and smashed. I know that what they did was no doubt about it stupid as shit but I need someone to tell me what to do. Im about to call poison controll and take them to the hospitol. PLEASE ANY ADVICE FROM A PERSON THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! ( end caps )

Sincerly,
Christopher

P.S. Im sorry there are no pictures but im doing my best.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Are my friends going to die. [Re: scribs18]
    #1960996 - 09/28/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hm, just stay chill for now...

the first thing that comes to my mind (from your description) is;

Violet Cort, or Cortinarius violaceus.. "Edible", but this is only a guess.

hm, just chill for now, hopefully Toxicman will be in soon to help,

I'll go grab a few pictures maybe you can compare..

OfflineGrapefruity
Lawn Gnome
    #1961000 - 09/28/03 08:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

[edit: flaming is not allowed. i know you meant well, but that didn't help.]

Edited by concretefeet (09/29/03 10:58 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961017 - 09/28/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961018 - 09/28/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What state/country were these picked?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961022 - 09/28/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Are the caps "Sticky"?

Offlinescribs18
Stranger
Re: Are my friends going to die. [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1961038 - 09/28/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Im in Bangor, Maine I know it was really stupid( people make fucked up chocies sue em.... ) No the caps are not sticky. Nothing like the picture.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961040 - 09/28/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

another guess would be the Bulbous Cort, or Cortinarius glaucopus.. not really known to be poisonous..
-I suggest this because of the bulbous base you talk about..

Go to www.google.com and just type in these scientific names and you should be able to find pictures..

Try Cortinarius alboviolaceus, has dry, silvery-lavender cap
Try Cortinarius pseudoarquatus, has abruptly bulbous base.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961074 - 09/28/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Are the caps grayish-violet, dry cap with purplish gills and club-shaped, grayish-violet stalk?

or

Are the caps dry, silvery-lavender?

or

Are they Slimy-tacky, purple cap becoming yellow-spotted around or in center, with purplish gills becoming rust?

Just chill for now dude.
-It is Cortinarius season..

You've done the right thing by coming here, and also by telling your friends off by doing such a dumb thing..

Get back..

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1961112 - 09/28/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OK, first thing is don't panic.

Don't bother calling the Poison Center unless they start showing symptoms of being poisoned. The odds are reasonably good that they may have eaten something not poisonous. Also, the majority of what is poisonous will just make them puke it all back up.

The main groups of purplish mushrooms are Cortinarius (the purple ones are mostly unknown but probably harmless, the worst will just cause the usual nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea), Leptonia (mostly unknown, probably some unpleasant toxins, probably more gastrointestinal stuff), and a variety of miscellaneous species all over the place (again, mostly gastrointestinal toxins). None of the well-known deadly mushrooms are normally described as purplish, so the odds are good that they haven't been lethally poisoned.

I'm trying to imagine what a "bubble stem" looks like. If you could perhaps describe what you mean or post a photo (or even a drawing) it would help a lot. If anybody else has an idea what he means, that would be good, too.

If they start getting sick (the most likely symptoms being nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea), call the Poison Center first and describe the situation. If you have the pieces of the mushrooms, save them. If you end up going to an emergency room, bring the mushroom pieces. They can summon a mycologist to look at them and identify them. Make sure to keep track of how long it's been since they ate the mushrooms - that's an important piece of information for diagnosis and prognosis.

Of course, the safest thing to do (if it's been less than 2 hours since they ate them) is to make them puke it all back up. Ipecac is available at most grocery stores, drug stores, and pharmacies, and it will do the trick really well. The instructions are on the bottle.

Good luck.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961113 - 09/28/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1961196 - 09/28/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Another link for C. camphoratus, has a fetid odor (whatever that means)
http://sienet.luontonetti.com/en/sivut/cortinarius_camphoratus.htm

And a link for C. fragrans, smells like over-ripe pears (whatever that means)
http://www.fungaljungal.org/guide/pages/Cortinarius_fragrans_jpg.htm

Offlinescribs18
Stranger
    #1961493 - 09/28/03 11:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry I havn't posted. Toxicman your story just happened exactly the way you wrote it. No joke. They all got sick and drank that vomit inducer and then I called poison controll they told me they should go to the hospital so I made them get going. I also made them take the shrooms. They where at the hospital a little while ago they are having to drink coal. I hope they will be ok. THanx Toxicman. Also to the other peeps that posted.

Chris

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1961537 - 09/28/03 11:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The positive side is that they will probably live.

The negative is that they will have a long evening tonight. If they're minors (maybe even if they're not) they'll get to explain to their parents why they did something as stupid as eating unidentified mushrooms from the woods. And then they'll get the bill for an emergency room visit.

If you can find out what the mushrooms get identified as, I (and probably others) would appreciate it. Your description didn't give me enough information to try a real ID, and I want to know what a "bubble stem" looks like, in case I have somebody give a description like that in the future.

Normally I suggest giving the fools a swift kick upside the head, but it sounds like they're getting a good one already. I hope they get over this without any lasting effects (except maybe learning a good lesson). And hopefully the emergency room doesn't overtreat them (which is, unfortunately, fairly common).

Many people eat mushrooms from the woods safely. Eating unidentified mushrooms is likely to lead to unpleasant results.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Are my friends going to die. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1961561 - 09/28/03 11:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thats to bad.. mushrooms have a reputation for being 'posionous' for a good reason. Its not until one gets into the subject that they find that there are alot of them that are not.

I hope your friends turn out ok. this teaches everyone a goooood lesson...

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Are my friends going to die. [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1962123 - 09/29/03 06:42 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Whew, man, thats scary. You defintiely did the right thing for your friends. I bet they don't do that again!! In a way, I'm glad they got a hold of something that would make them sick but not harm them. Thats about the best lesson a person picking and eating various unidentified mushrooms from the woods can recieve. Better it happened this way than if nothing would have happened and they would have pulled this same stunt again, until maybe they did get a hold of something lethal.

Anyways, you reacted well, and responded well, your a good friend to your buddies.

LK,

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Are my friends going to die. [Re: Lizard King]
    #1964539 - 09/29/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

it sounds to me like you took proper controll of the situation.
i'm glad to hear the are ok so far. luckily; the details point to nothing more serious than stomach upset and a scarry trip to the ER.

if you could elaborate on your sescription sa stated above it would be beneficial to the hunting comunity.

good luck,
be safe and
happy hunting.

peace,
concrete.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinedookie
humungous fungus

Loc: Sydney
Re: Are my friends going to die. [Re: canid]
    #1965645 - 09/30/03 10:37 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

damn that was a close one... i'm guessing your friend's won't be so "gung-ho" next time!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies