Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
patches dying out
    #1506992 - 04/30/03 07:47 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This statement by mjshroomer intrigues me:

Quote:

well the P. weilii are a warmer weather shroom,but then again I do not know how the weather conditions are in Georgia, only that this is not the season of the P. weilii. I also believe that after sev eral years the patches will disappear due to overgrowth and other nutrients disappearing inthe Georgia soils where they are collected from

This thinking is likely since that is what happens in many areas where noit manured shrooms fruit.

ANyone can make an outdoor patch for a short period.

i'm not doubting the validaty of the statement, but trying to understand it. What is the difference between azures and stunzi....do their patches also eventually die out because they are not a manure loving fungi? Or is it the NW soil and environment?

also, we are talking individual patches dying out and not a whole species.....right? as far as p. weilli, they have always amazed me because they seemed to have dropped out of the sky and began fruiting in Georgia about 4 or 5 years ago. how in the hell does that happen???? if they showed up out of nowhere and began fruiting, then it would seem the reverse could happen as well.

i'm new at this....so please bare with my thought process.

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: patches dying out [Re: subterranean]
    #1507277 - 04/30/03 10:37 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Those shrooms are brought in by landscappers who uyse cetrtain kinds of woodchips or bark muclches in gardens around subburnban and downtown areas where buildings have such gardens in parks, new restaurants and apartment complexes.

Some refertize areas and such when shrooms are in lawns. When the fertilizers stop, the shrooms stop. After a few years the nutrtients which the mycelia feed off of disappear and thent he shrooms disappear.

Stuntziis are a lawn a nd a woodchip shroom. The lawns generall grow for two to three years and then no more shrooms. If a landscaper is used on a reular basis to provide lawn care then sometimes a lawn will grow for many years as long as their is perpetual lawn care and fertilizers the shrooms may stay.

In woodchi[p and barkmulch varieties, the nurtrients are gone in three years or so and the patches dry up.

mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1507332 - 04/30/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This is a very good question you bring up.....

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #1508311 - 04/30/03 04:00 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, the patches will die out. Most all species of mushrooms will appear in an area for so many years and then quit fruiting after the nutrients they are feeding on is depleted. This is a mushrooms job, to process decaying organics, and when its job is done they quit growing. The same also applies to dung fruiters, I don't know why mj said this didn't apply to dung lovers. Its happens much quicker in dung lovers because they have a smaller limited amount of decaying matter to work with/process(a cow pie) They fruit off the dung pile for a month or two and then quit growing in that dung pile all together and the dung returns to the earth as enriched soil. The only difference is there is always another dung pile a few feet away, the spores are spread, and the cycle continues so long as theres another turd to colonize. With weilii, it takes the land being re-disturbed and new organics to be intoduced and they will continue to grow, or the spores are somehow carried to another constuction site(disturbed land area) where in time they will start to grow.

I have already had 3 patches of weilii cease fruiting all together. I have watched a few of my favorite patches over the past few years slow way down and only put up a few fruits here and there instead of the hundreds of mushrooms they use to produce. I also have two morel patches that quit fruiting this year. Its only natural, so make sure you find many patches and you won;t have a problem.

About Ps. weilii dropping out of the sky, its anyones best guess how they arrived here in GA. I personally think they have been here a long time its just that recently with all the development in the metro area they have found a niche to exploit, they don;t wait for landslides of floods like they used to, they find a new constuction site to be perfectly suitable and even seem to prefer it considering the abunance in which they fruit in man made areas. They never fruited nearly as prolific in they're natural habitat as they do now in man made habitats, MJ will back me up on this one. Ps. fimentaria as well as stuntzii I believe are pasture lovers that have found a niche in newly laid sod, same with Ps. cyanescen which is rarely found in its natural habitat.

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
Re: patches dying out [Re: Lizard King]
    #1508583 - 04/30/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

thanks lk and mj....

lk....as far as where the p. weilli came from, your hypotesis fits as to what my rational mind was thinking.  they have been around, but just not in the numbers we see them now.  the few patches i found last year were unbelievable....i still have dreams about the day i discovered them.  again, thats the coolest part for me....just hunting and discovering. 

of course, i like my irrational idea a lot more about where the p. weilli came from and that idea had to do with aliens bringing the weilli spores from outer space and spreading them all over the atlanta area.....this, of course, was when they came into our galaxy for the last grateful dead run at the omni from 3/26-30/95.  they blasted back to their mothership after this run of shows....never to be seen again  :wink:

thanks guys.....now to see if these damn aliens accidentally spilled spores in sc

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom