Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMotorwayToRoswell
Stranger
My friend's giant baggie of mushrooms...
    #1655283 - 06/23/03 04:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My friend got really stoned and picked a bunch of mushrooms out of his yard, and put them all in a plastic baggie. I am the bearer of the mushroom book, which has been used on countless trips to cow fields (without fruit), so I was invited to inspect them. I was at his house today, but we forgot about the mushrooms until I had to leave, so I asked for a specimen. He gave me one mushroom out of his giant bag; apparently he is stingy with his mystery fungi. I looked through the book for almost 2 hours, and I found that the mushroom I got most closely resembles lawnmower mushrooms, so I am assuming that's what it is. But it is similar to some hallucinogenic ones too... So here's a description:

The cap is 1.7 cm wide. It is brownish-tan and quite dry. It's kind of wavy, but that might be from maturity, otherwise flat. Some of the others may have been conical, but I'm not sure. It is starting to crack. I got it a little wet to see, uh, the moist characteristics. It got kind of sticky and a little smelly. Where I touched it it started to bruise. The color of the bruise is not necessarily blue, but I can see elements of a dark bluish/purple color in it, while it is mostly dark brown. I didn't think the gills were attached, but the drawing in the book convinced me. The gills don't look too close, but not very spaced either. They are off-white, tan, and brown. I find no evidencde of a veil, but I've read that they can disappear. The stem is about 5 cm long, and 2-3 mm thick. It is off-white except for the dirty root area. It is hard, smooth, and dry...seems a little like a twig. I have not taken a spore print, but I plan to. As is my understanding, lawnmower mushrooms share a similar spore print with psilocybe mushrooms.
The mushrooms were found in oklahoma (if you don't know where that is, it's essentially right about in the middle of america) in my friend's lawn. My friend has a tree, but I don't know what kind, or even if the mushrooms were found near it. They were found early this month (june).
I do not feel that the one I described is a completely typical specimen (mostly regarding its size). Others in the collection varied in size from what looked like 1 to 5 cm.

Please help me decide what these are. My friend has a shitload of them, and it would be cool if they were good. I'm pretty sure they're not poisonous (from extensive study of the audobahn society's field guide to north amercian mushrooms), but I don't want to try them if they won't work.

Email me if you can help. Flipseed6@aol.com

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: My friend's giant baggie of mushrooms... [Re: MotorwayToRoswell]
    #1655482 - 06/23/03 05:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Putting fresh mushies in a plastic baggie will give you a gooey surprise!

Your friend will see what I'm talkin' about in a day after he's stored them in the baggie.

Do you have any pictures?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: My friend's giant baggie of mushrooms... [Re: MotorwayToRoswell]
    #1655712 - 06/23/03 09:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

daba makes a good point. A plastic bag is a poor place for storing them unless they are completely dry.

Overall, your description is very probably Panaeolus foenisecii, which is inactive. You need to make a spore print. This species typically has a dark purplish brown spore print. (Audubon lists it under Psathyrella foenisecii). Contrary to what Gary Lincoff says there, they are not active.

There are, of course, other possibilities. A spore print will help decide.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification