Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
modem problems
    #1958433 - 09/27/03 10:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I bought a new 56K V92 PCMCIA modem for my laptop so that I wouldn't have to do without the Shroomery while on the road.  :grin:

I installed the modem and the drivers and it worked fine for a couple of days, then it went tits up. When I try to connect to my ISP the modem detects the dial tone and dials the number but does not connect.

The dial tone can be heard even as the modem dials. After the modem finishes dialing, the dial tone continues until that recording comes on that says "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up...", as though the modem never dialed.

I've removed and reinstalled the modem and drivers several times with no change. The problem might be as simple as a Windows setting somewhere that I am unaware of. Any of you computer savvy people have any ideas? 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: modem problems [Re: dog]
    #1958533 - 09/27/03 10:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What I am assuming is that the modem is dialing but the dialtone isn't dialing through the fone line. Its gotta be a setting... but I'm not sure which. Enable 'check for dial tone' and try.

InvisiblePjS
Jack Of AllDongs

Loc: gototheshow dot com
    #1959912 - 09/28/03 02:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That's a common problem if the country settings aren't right, the modem should have come with software to change this.. But it shouldn't really reset on its own.

--------------------

(Ped) Slavery leads to rebellion which leads to liquor store robberies, rap and hip-hop

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1961182 - 09/28/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Does this still happen at the same residence where it originally connected from?

My old laptop did the same thing when I tried to connect at work, but connected just fine at home. The simple fix was to select "Dial 9" to connect to an outside line. However I don't know where you are remotely trying to connect from, but it is highly likely that a dial code is necessary to connect to an ouside line.

Try finding out if your remote connecting residence is on a multi phone grid. If so configure the way your modem dials out to the way you would normally dial out at that residence.

Invisibledog
straw dog

#1967555 - 09/30/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the replies.
Quote:

Enable 'check for dial tone' and try.

It's been enabled all along.
Quote:

That's a common problem if the country settings aren't right, the modem should have come with software to change this..

The only software that came with the modem was the driver. Do you know how these settings can be altered?
Quote:

Does this still happen at the same residence where it originally connected from?

Yes. It was originally used at my home and it operated correctly. It was then used at my place of business, which requires a '9' to be dialed for an outside line, and it also operated correctly there. The next day it would not operate work, home or anywhere else.... just the problem that I described above.

Any other takers?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

InvisiblePjS
Jack Of AllDongs

Loc: gototheshow dot com
    #1968741 - 10/01/03 04:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm, what is the manufacturer/chipset of it, it can be set via AT commands probably.

--------------------

(Ped) Slavery leads to rebellion which leads to liquor store robberies, rap and hip-hop

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: modem problems [Re: PjS]
    #1975987 - 10/03/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

what is the manufacturer/chipset of it

Manufacturer is Phoebe, Intel chipset.

I have no idea how to use AT commands... is this something that would be enetered in the string area?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1976030 - 10/03/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> When I try to connect to my ISP the modem detects the dial tone and dials the number but does not connect.

Usually when we see this it indicates a bad modem. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it is software related. A am assuming that by 'not connect' you mean that it never gets passed the handshake with the other side, not that the authentication fails... it never connects far enough to actually start authentication.

If it is not connecting as in failing authentication, then the problem is probably ISP/software related.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: modem problems [Re: Seuss]
    #1976326 - 10/03/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, exchange it for another wherever you bought it, and if the new one doesn't work, then you know you have a problem.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: modem problems [Re: Seuss]
    #1977644 - 10/03/03 09:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

A am assuming that by 'not connect' you mean that it never gets passed the handshake with the other side

Precisely. The other side never even picks up. The dial tone persists even during/after the modem dials, and after a few seconds the phone company recording plays.

Quote:

Yea, exchange it for another wherever you bought it, and if the new one doesn't work, then you know you have a problem. 

Yep, that's what I'll do. I was hoping to avoid the drive across town (it's a killer) but that's life.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom