Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
Windows 95 modem won't work....
    #1654198 - 06/22/03 08:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, I bought this piece of shit laptop off ebay, long story short everytime I try to get access to the internet with it I get this message "Modem is being used by another application". Im not used to windows 95 and can't find it like I can with my pc which is ME. Does anyone know how I can fix this shit? Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Windows 95 modem won't work.... [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1654468 - 06/22/03 09:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well, this is what I would do:

1.) Make sure there's a modem card plugged in properly and it's plugged into the phone line. May sound stupid, but hey....

2.) Make sure there are no stupid programs you don't want in start>programs>startup; if there are, delete them, reboot and see if you have the same problem.

3.) right-click on my computer on the desktop, select properties, click the device manager tab, and expand "modems" by clicking the (+) sign on the left of it. If there is a (!) sign in a triangle next to it, you'll have to reinstall the drivers. Also check other things, likely it's an IRQ conflict, if so you'll have to reinstall the device by deleting it and going into control panels> add new hardware. !!!MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DRIVERS (THE ORIGINAL DISKS) FOR YOUR MODEM. If you don't, you could always download them, but make sure they are for the right make/model modem and for Win95. http://www.driverguide.com go to members login, U/N = driver Password = all

4.) If this isn't the problem, Open dialer (should be in start>programs>accessories; maybe in system tools or communications or something, or go to start>find and do a search for dialer.exe on all local harddrives.) Open this and try to dial something (not a real number!) and see if you hear a dial tone. If you get the same error message, hit ALT+CTRL+DELETE and close the programs listed (except explorer) one by one (keeping track of the name each time) and keep trying dial.exe until you get a dial tone and it dials. Try closing rnapp first, and then all the others. *If this works,* the program you closed *might* be a trojan virus -- this is very bad; it *may* be trying to dial 900 numbers or something without you knowing it. See if when you load your computer up and have the modem plugged in (after waiting until everything's loaded) if the phone line is busy. If this is the case, you have to find the program and delete it; easiest way would prolly be a virus scanner with updated data files for Win95, otherwise you could check the Startup folder, autoexec.bat, Sysedit.exe and the registry for a line for it. If a program is using your modem without you knowing it, this is bad! Even if the phone is not being used, it may be on a delay, so watch out.

It's also possible if a program's using it it's not a virus, and you just have something loading up at startup you don't want -- figure out what it is and delete it, or change the settings. Either uninstall it, get rid of it in start>programs>startup or in win.ini/sys.ini, autoexec.bat, or you may have to edit the registry (but I doubt it with Win95.)

Otherwise, you've got me -- might just be the internet software you're using.

That's just what I would do -- please don't screw up your computer. You could also always deltree *.* and reinstall windows if you have nothing to lose, but make sure you have the Win95 CD, all drivers, all software you need, *and a system bootup disk,* but this very well might lead you into even worse problems, so if you do so, do so at your own risk, or have someone else help who's good at computers. Do not do it if you have never done this before or if you don't know how to use DOS!!!

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Windows 95 modem won't work.... [Re: micro]
    #1654726 - 06/22/03 11:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah make sure you don have a dialer trojan or somthing. There are some lame things out there that will try and make your modem dial fucked up pay numbers.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology