Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
linux modem configuration
    #2003187 - 10/12/03 08:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Greetings. I recently was given the linux Suse distro 8.2 as a gift to play around with. I have it dual-booted with XP. I am having trouble connecting to the internet via dial-up.

In the KInternet log, this error message comes up:

pppd: plugin passwordfd.so loaded
Wvdial: internet dialer version 1.42
initializing modem
sending: ATM1
sending: ATQ0
resending: ATM1
modem not responding
connect script failed
pppd died: script failed (exit code 8)

My modem registers with Yast2 (creatix v.9x dsp data/fax). Under windows, the port comes up as COM4 and under linux I have it configured as ttyS3 (but have tried the other listed ports to no avail).

What am I doing wrong? I'm a total linux newbie :nut: so be easy on me.

Thanks! 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebsta1n
mush++
Re: linux modem configuration [Re: Xochitl]
    #2004166 - 10/13/03 02:05 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

DSP modems tend to be software driven modems, which useally arnt supported. However, you are in luck here is a link to a page about the card and driver, from suse themselves :smile:

http://www.suse.com/de/business/certifications/certified_hardware/creatix/V_9x_DSP/

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: linux modem configuration [Re: bsta1n]
    #2004457 - 10/13/03 04:38 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

um when configuring dial-up modem in KDE, in the options when configuring it there is one 'Query modem' try that, if everything is alright it should work.maybe you just got the wrong device ( try /dev/modem /dev/modem1 or /dev/tty1 etc ... and youll see which is the right for it ) I havent used suse but I hope I could help

--------------------
Cuba Libre

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: linux modem configuration [Re: T0aD]
    #2005331 - 10/13/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DSP modems tend to be software driven modems, which useally arnt supported. However, you are in luck here is a link to a page about the card and driver, from suse themselves

Sweet :thumbup: I will check that out. Thanks!

Quote:

um when configuring dial-up modem in KDE, in the options when configuring it there is one 'Query modem' try that, if everything is alright it should work.maybe you just got the wrong device ( try /dev/modem /dev/modem1 or /dev/tty1 etc ... and youll see which is the right for it ) I havent used suse but I hope I could help.

I have tried all of the listed device options to no avail. Thanks toad :thumbup: I'll try the query modem thing :fingers crossed: 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: linux modem configuration [Re: Xochitl]
    #2007699 - 10/14/03 08:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have never been able to get a winmodem or dsp modem to work under unix/linux. I recommend that you save time and money and buy yourself a non-dsp modem rather than trying to get what you have to work.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
Re: linux modem configuration [Re: Seuss]
    #2018962 - 10/17/03 09:58 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

many software modems do work on the most recent distros at least on my box suse, mandrake and knoppix all worked with out any extra work my modem is not even supported but there must be some sort of standard because mine does work now if I could only get that damn DVD RAM drive to work

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: linux modem configuration [Re: alpiner]
    #2019572 - 10/18/03 02:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Get an external modem and plug it into com1 youll be happier with the results from all OS's anyway, these true hardware modems seem to be quite a bit more reliable and a bit faster. When all i could use was dial-up i kept a connection for over 70 hours once.

Be sure to cover the rx/tx lights so no one can record and decipher your data though =P

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology