Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch
    #1946396 - 09/24/03 12:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm wonting to start a few outdoor morel patches but i'm not sure what all i'd need to get to start an outdoor patch (beside the morel spawn),like what should i use as a mulch to cover the patch, and what all do i need to mix into the patch with the spawn, and when is the lattest in the year that you start an outdoor patch? How much spawn should I use per sq.feet

Any info would be very useful but i most likely wont get around to starting any outdoor patches untill next summer

I think that i read some where that you wont to protect the spot from animals walking on it so should i kind of fence the plot off?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: Ganoderma]
    #1946660 - 09/24/03 02:42 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I first uncovered the grass from a shady area of approx. 1m2 then put in the hole a mixture of soil, sawdust & ash and inoculated with spawn. Covered back with grass and watered it.
Now I'm waiting... but we had such a dry summer that I doubt my pathches survived.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1946669 - 09/24/03 02:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: Anno]
    #1946790 - 09/24/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm morels =D

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: whole9]
    #1947989 - 09/24/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

zeronio, so did you mix the mix of soil with the sawdust and ash together before putting in the hole, or did you mix it all with the spawn added? you also recovered it with the grass that was removed from digging the hole?
And how much water did you use when you watered it?

I should mention that I'm planning on going out into the mountains and the large burn areas around where I live

Anno, thanks for those links,lots of good stuff to read. But not enough info on really doing outdoor patches/plots, if i had more resorces i'd give it a try a atempting and indoor morel grow but since i don't I shall go on to the next best way to grow morels, just like they have been doing it for ever basically, out doors. I'm not thinking just a few patches i'm thinking about many patches, will be packing everything in with horses, might even do a little plugging with shiitake plugs but will have to wait untill next summer to get start in the mountains

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1953207 - 09/26/03 03:13 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I mixed it all with the spawn added and covered it with the grass that was removed from digging the hole. I watered it lightly every week or two but like I said the summer was so hot and dry the even most of the grass and plants in my garden died so I doubt that mycellium survived. We had a heavy water shortage and there were few weeks when watering of gardens was forbidden. Next time I'm going to use more sophisticated teks from Anno's links and setup an automatic drip system.
I tried another thing which could be used for burn sites. I inoculated wooden sticks (large tooth picks) with morel grain spawn and placed them in the soil randomly around my property. You can inoculate large areas this way, but the weather conditions have to be right.

Offlinewalk
ignorantwhiteman

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: zeronio]
    #1953402 - 09/26/03 05:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds very impresive Ganoderma. Im intrigued.
I like your toothpick idea Zeronio, Im goin to try it. Good luck everyone and please post results.

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: walk]
    #1961765 - 09/29/03 04:08 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Zeronio - could you expand on the tooth pick method, like what are the right weather conditions to do this? How far apart would you space out the toothpicks, min and max distance(spacing)? Are you able to get fruits the next season (year) like that or could it take over a year, would toothpicks work in an area that has burn timber thats still standing or should most of the timber have fallen?

(*note* a burn area with standing burnt timber(trees) is not a totally safe enviroment to be in, so one should be careful!)

So does any one know how much you can get off of a patch started this way outdoors(per surface space)?
And what about adding more food every year or two to extend the life of the patch?

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1962229 - 09/29/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry I can't answer the rest of your questions. But this, "And what about adding more food every year or two to extend the life of the patch?"
IMHO, the best way to keep the patch fruiting is to install the patch in ideal habitat. The mycelium will be able to grow and fruit outside the patch and spores will be able to travel to new locations.

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: YidakiMan]
    #1962492 - 09/29/03 12:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Check the type of Morel you're getting too. Not all kinds like the same environments - meaning the wood ash/forest fire type locations

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #1964081 - 09/29/03 10:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Next spring, when you find some morels, save the water you use to wash them with.  Dilute it and spread it around in favorable habitats.  I've succeeded in making a perennial patch of M. esculenta in a plum orchard this way, they have spread throughout the whole thing and into other orchards nearby in the past few seasons.  The first crop was the nicest, but I think that may have been due to the weather the past few years...  Only time will tell :smile:.. It doesn't get much easier, of course success isn't really guaranteed, but it isn't even when using pure cultures.  Here's a couple shitty pics from a few seasons back:

As for protecting the area, the plum orchards are maintained and harvested as normal, so there's a lot of ground disturbance during the season.  However morels seem to thrive in disturbed ground so it may be against your best interest to protect it, then again it probably depends on species as mentioned above.  I've never found M. esculenta in undisturbed ground, but the black morels are pretty common in undisturbed pine forests in these parts...

Good luck

DH

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Re: wonting to starting an outdoor morel patch [Re: spores]
    #1986158 - 10/07/03 07:27 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So how sterile does every thing need to be for out door patches, with wood chips should i pasturize them, or is it one of those cases where you need not worry about sterilizing?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms