Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineredstar420pmb
Stranger
Loc: houston
Substitute for oyster shell??
    #1912596 - 09/13/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have 4 fully colonized jars ready to be cased. its my first time casing so i hope it will work. im using hawk's 50/50 casing tek and i was unable to find just crushed oyster shell. i have hydrated horticulture lime and a feed used for parrots with a mixture of oyster shell, calcium carbonate, granite powder and some other ingredients. the mixture looks like mostly oyster shell and it is listed as one of the main ingredients. will this work as an alternative? if so, since it already has some calcium carbonate in it should i not use the hydrated lime? i was thinking of adding the parrot feed and then testing the pH then adding hydrated lime until it was right above 7 (or is there a better pH to use?), or trying to pick out all the oyster shells out of the mixture (which i know will be a pain in the ass) thanks for the advice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Substitute for oyster shell?? [Re: redstar420pmb]
    #1912645 - 09/13/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I got a like 50 lbs bag of crust oyster shell at a feed store for 12 bucks canadian...also i dont think you need both hydrated lime and oyster shell, but i think the oyster shell is a better investment as it is a better buffer.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Offlineredstar420pmb
Stranger
Loc: houston
Re: Substitute for oyster shell?? [Re: GregHimself]
    #1912667 - 09/13/03 12:47 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

here is a full list of ingredients for the "Hi-Cal Grit", Granite Grit, Oyster Shell, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Charcoal, Mineral Oil, Orange Oil, Zinc Oxide, Mangonous Ixide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Ixide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate..

will any of the extra ingredients harm the mushrooms? or will it work? the thing is i dont know of any feed stores in my area so i dont know where i could find just pure crushed oyster shell except crushing whole oyster shells myself. if the stuff i have isnt the best bet i wont use it, but im not sure.

Offlineprocule
Drinker

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Substitute for oyster shell?? [Re: redstar420pmb]
    #1912695 - 09/13/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

use the hydrated lime, as described in the FAQ

--------------------
home grown shit
god damn it

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies