Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

Loc: MiD wEsT
Hydrated limestone vs crused oyster shells
    #7338237 - 08/26/07 10:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ok so my substrate consist's of 25% straw 25% coco coir 40% hpoo 5%gypsum 5% carbon. I have been reading a lot about ph level's for substate's and It did seem the consensus is that Hydrated lime is one way to balance PH. Versus Using crushed oyster shells so please give some feed back.

joshua m.

--------------------
We can't stop here...This is bat country!!!

Fear and Loathing is the greatest movie ever!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Hydrated limestone vs crused oyster shells [Re: joshua m]
    #7338244 - 08/26/07 10:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

dont use hydrated lime at all. Use limestone flour, regular and also oyster shell as a long term buffer.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydrated limestone vs crused oyster shells [Re: Psychoslut]
    #7338547 - 08/27/07 12:35 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hydrated Lime and Crushed Oyster Shell are two totally different chemicals.

Hydrated Lime is Calcium Hydroxide or Ca(OH)2 which is a medium strong base. Can be used to increase pH if needed.

Crushed Oyster Shells are Calcium Carbonate or CaCO3, which is a a weak base. Works better as a pH buffer.

Also, Crushed Oyster Shell is normally crushed in too big a pieces to be any good. You should use limestone flour as it will work better

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Hydrated limestone vs crused oyster shells [Re: Nibin]
    #7338950 - 08/27/07 06:43 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need to pH balance a substrate. Just use it as is. Mushroom mycelium prefers a pH of 5 to 6, so you're fine.

We pH balance casing layers because they're left exposed and non-colonized on top of the substrate. For casing layers, hydrated lime is best because it goes to work right away. Calcium carbonate takes time to break down, so is of less use since the average life of a casing is only a few weeks.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

Re: Hydrated limestone vs crused oyster shells [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7343709 - 08/28/07 08:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

DERRRrrr!!!, im an idiot I was a lill inebreated when I was writing this.  Sorry about the substrate/casing layer mix up so....My casing is made of a little coco coir to encourage growth.  Half peet, half spagnum peet, vermiculite.  A little gypsum and now hydrated lime.  So ? how much lime(and can i use just regular garden lime or are they two dif things).  Obviously it's probly wet instead of the dry pellets i have.  I do have a grain grinder though to grind gypsum, lime, and carbon. :smile:

Thanx all

--------------------

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

#7344283 - 08/28/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

DERRRrrr!!!, im an idiot I was a lill inebreated when I was writing this. Sorry about the substrate/casing layer mix up so....My casing is made of a little coco coir to encourage growth. Half peet, half spagnum peet, vermiculite. A little gypsum and now hydrated lime. So ? how much lime(and can i use just regular garden lime or are they two dif things). Obviously it's probly wet instead of the dry pellets i have. I do have a grain grinder though to grind gypsum, lime, and carbon. :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

#7344829 - 08/28/07 02:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Gotcha thanx RR found some horticulture hydrated lime Much thanx

PLURR

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags