Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Reagent Testing Kit, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

Ground Oyster Shell.
    #4344473 - 06/27/05 09:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

At the moment I don't have any hydrated lime, but I do have finely ground oyster shell. I am doing a 50/50 Peat Verm mixture. I see lots of teks that call for crushed oyster shell (which don't affect ph as immediately as my ground oyster shell will) and hydrated lime to raise the ph but I was wondering about the ratio of Ground oyster shell to correctly ph buffer the casing, while not to overly basify the mixture. I was thinking 10:10:1 but would like some input, on the effect of ground oyster shell. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ground Oyster Shell. [Re: themills]
    #4344583 - 06/27/05 09:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Anywhere from half that shells, to that, should be ok. Ground just works better then crushed...more surface area (more crystals) per same volume.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblethemills
Posts do notindicateIntelligence

Re: Ground Oyster Shell. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4344605 - 06/27/05 09:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'll start with a 10:10:.5 mixture then, then see how that works out, since like you said, because of the surface area 1 cup crushed would be about 1/2 ground.. thanks a bunch

--------------------
There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
-Enrico Fermi
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sibling Gatling Gun of Looking at All Sides of the Question

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
    #4506450 - 08/07/05 10:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Get some pH test kits or some pH paper strips. Prepare the correct ratio of water you will be using in your casing mix . Ex) if you are using 2 cups water to 4 cups peat/verm....Start with one cup water and mix whatever you are using to modify pH until you have a pH of around 7.2 to 7.5. Record the mixture of water to pH modifying substance and multiply it back to whatever ratio you will be using in your mixture. In this case you would multiply your ingredients by 2. This method will get you close to the desired pH.

In my case i cannot find hydrated lime, lime flour or granular lime anywhere. So i use normal tap water after seeing the QC reports on a daily basis from my water treatment plant to be around 7.7pH.
In my mixture i use
2part peat
2part verm
1 part crushed oyster shell ( get it from an animal feed store )
1/2-1 part powder oyster shell & 2-2 1/4 parts tap water
I mix it up reallygoodand give it a squeeze test to make sure I'm getting just a drop or 2 of water coming from my hands.Once i know I'm in the ball park for moisture level, i throw my mix into 1.5 liter jars and pressure cook it.
And hey my flushes turn out great.

Edited by Justlookin0 (08/07/05 11:12 AM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4506538 - 08/07/05 11:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The only thing that will overly "basify" is hydrated lime. As far as ground limestone/oystershell/etc; they improve the casings structure as well as keep the pH closer to neutral. Understand oystershell has a low solubility in water so it buffering affects are limited and adding hydrated lime will help provide better pH control as well as using chalk, limestone flour or other acceptable buffers in the mix. I recommend anywhere from 1tsp.-1tbs. hydrated lime per quart of casing and 1-2tbs. long term buffer (oystershell/limestone flour) per quart as well, this is on the low end and you could add as much as 20% (long term) to the mix if you'd like.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Reagent Testing Kit, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation