Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Getting a culture from a dry mushroom.
    #1900306 - 09/09/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am trying to get a clean culture from a dry mushroom. This is what I have done so far:

1. Cut a small section of gills off of a dry mushroom cap and placed it on a piece of steralized cardboard.
2. After what I think was mycellium was seen growing I cut off a small portion of the colonized cardboard and put it into some peroxided karo water.
3. Placed in incubation at 84 degrees.

Anyone have any suggestions? Do ya'll think this will work? Anyone wanna save me the trouble and send me a print? (sorry for the shameless begging)

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by z@z.com (09/09/03 09:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: Getting a culture from a dry mushroom. [Re: z@z.com]
    #1900323 - 09/09/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

why didn't you try some agar work?..... It may work but it'll contaminate after a while probably....

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #1900324 - 09/09/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i was laso going to suggest doing this same thing, but i would say you are going to have a super-high risk of contams, so i have also heard of people using agar to recover mycellium from dry mushrooms...something about soaking the mushroom to re-hydrate it then cutting out some non-contamed mycellium from culture plate? not to sure never used agar. But i hope the karo water works well.
Good Luck

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Getting a culture from a dry mushroom. [Re: GregHimself]
    #1900335 - 09/09/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I did use a flowhood to put the cardboard piece into the karo water.  I'm also going to do some agar work as soon as I get all the supplies I need to do it. I sold all my old supplies. :frown:

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by z@z.com (09/09/03 09:47 PM)

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Re: Getting a culture from a dry mushroom. [Re: GregHimself]
    #1900343 - 09/09/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

if some of the live culture that u innoculate the karo jars with carries any contams, you'll end up with some contaminated Culture Jar... But on agar, you can see and transfer the healthy culture to another agar plate.... And end up with some healthy myc. to innoculate.... :grin:

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Getting a culture from a dry mushroom. [Re: ph_plus]
    #1900349 - 09/09/03 09:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My current plan is to try and inoculate dozens of jars until one works. Not scientific, but maybe I'll get lucky.

--------------------

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

#1900361 - 09/09/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

that sounds scientific to me actually..... :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Getting a culture from a dry mushroom. [Re: ph_plus]
    #1900371 - 09/09/03 10:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

dozens of karo jars...pure genuius! now my foaf has a use for all his old 1/2 pint jars.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1902987 - 09/10/03 08:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have lots of growth in the karo water and no signs of contamination so far.

--------------------

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1903407 - 09/10/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i've used that method on wild prints, and it has worked good for me . :laugh: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract