Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Fistulina hepatica pics!!!
    #1859663 - 08/28/03 03:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Havn't seen a new post of hunting lately; I figured I would share this find with everyone... ID'ed this to be Fistulina Hepatica. As usual my pictures aren't the greatest.. even worse. I didn't notice that my quality was at the minimum but oh well... here goes..

I gave it a little taste but it wasn't to my liking raw.. in the book simon and shuster guide to mushrooms, "I know not the best guide", they say especially good raw... It was the only one I've seen all year, for the matter the only one I've seen ever.. This specimen appeared to be sessile, the surface was definatly gelatinous, reminded me of a rubber fishing lure but softer. growing along side a small running river.... on slowly dying old oak.... I really need to get a better digital camera.... hope you can make it out. Oh the second picture it was cut in half I was trying to show the pale purple striations in the flesh...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (08/28/03 03:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: Fistulina hepatica pics!!! [Re: nofind_um]
    #1862945 - 08/29/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Oh well nobody cares... i guess I'll keep looking.... or post in the edibles forum....... Happy Hunting... all... 43 views though.... maybe I got the ID right... toxic man.. did I get it right..?????

I'm having second thoughts after seeing this photo.... my pore surface was more of a pinkish.... and the mushroom was like multiple layers each overlapping eachother.. "Looked similar to an actual lobsters tail", didn't look like this example I found here at the shroomery, at all...

--------------------

Edited by nofind_um (08/29/03 02:20 PM)

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1863228 - 08/29/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

With you picture it is hard to tell if it is or isn't. I looks like the one I saw that someone eles colected. I have not found this mushroom myself and want to. i saw this in Bill Roody's book on mushrooms of West Virginia and it said it tastes like citrus or citrusy.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: Fistulina hepatica pics!!! [Re: falcon]
    #1863461 - 08/29/03 05:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the response... it taste kinda lemony.... but without the zing....

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1863558 - 08/29/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

As you mentioned, the photos are tough to verify an ID from. From what I can see, it does look like one.

Fortunately, Fistulina hepatica is a farily easy mushroom to verify.

1. Red-topped, shelflike mushroom fround growing on wood.
2. Flesh moist to juicy.
3. Underside bears tubes that are not attached to each other.

The flavor is described as distinctly tart. It's one of the few mushrooms that can safely be eaten raw. Those who like it often slice it and include it in a salad. If you cook it, cook it at low heat to preserve the tender texture.

My references indicate that whether it's a good edible or not is a matter of some controversy. Those who try it seem to strongly like it or strongly dislike it.

A nice find.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Fistulina hepatica pics!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1863805 - 08/29/03 08:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder