Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Shrooms found in VA!?!?! PICS
    #759516 - 07/19/02 03:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I can?t believe it. This entire summer I had found 1 or 2 active mushrooms, and all the sudden today I found several different actives all at once. I?ll post the other finds later, but these two particular shroom species I?d like to get ID?d right away : ) . First pic is of witches hats. These things turn blue extremely fast. Has anybody had experience with these and are they safe? Also, if active, how strong are they? Anyone know a good dose?

The second pic is of four gyms (I hope!). The two pale shrooms are decaying and show bluing. I believe Paul Stamets new book had these listed towards the back, or at least these resemble them. Can anyone back this up? And, can someone get anywhere on four of these?

Here are the pics...thanks in advance!

Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Shrooms found in VA!?!?! PICS [Re: bluemoon]
    #759794 - 07/19/02 05:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Take a print of that first one, I'm anxious to see how it turns out...

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
    #759849 - 07/19/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The first ones look real interesting...very psilocybe like. Not sure exactly which ones...could they be weilii? don't know, maybe Lizard King can figure them out. The second pics are of gilled boletes...they blue, but are not active.

Real curious about the first ones.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineNewHunter
help
Loc: Washington
Re: Shrooms found in VA!?!?! PICS [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #759930 - 07/19/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

they do look similar to the weilii that are in lizard kings pics, but i am not sure

--------------------
RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #761164 - 07/20/02 05:51 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

On the first ones, get a spore print, and please show us the underside of the cap. Also, make sure the bruising is actually turning blue, not just darkening (blackening, browning, or something similar). Too many people mistake any sort of darkening as the blueing reaction. The strikingly fibrous cap also suggests that you should sniff them and see if there is a strong odor.

StInvetroThomas has the other ones pegged. They appear to be Phylloporus rhodoxanthus subspecies albomycelinus. Edible, according to all my field guides, and not impresively so, according to Arora.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Re: Shrooms found in VA!?!?! PICS [Re: ToxicMan]
    #762269 - 07/20/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Heres one pic that is out of focus but shows the gills. The second is of a couple showing the color these mushrooms eventually turn to. They have all turned completely blue/black. The spore print was white, however, the bag I had them in had spots of black dusting. Also, one of the caps I pulled off the print paper had a slight black outline of the gills BUT I think that could have been due to it sticking to the paper. So, the spores might have been black. After looking through the Audubon guide, the mushrooms look like Hygrophorus Conicus (reportedly caused 4 deaths in china,possibly hallucinogenic).

Thanks for help!
Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #762379 - 07/20/02 01:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

The white spore print and additional information suggests Hygrophorus conicus, as you already noted. Please note that this means the bruising reaction is a blackening, not blueing. When noting a color change, you need to try to not let wishful thinking guide your observations. Some very similar (to Psilocybe) Galerinas have a browning reaction which beginners have mistaken for blueing resulting in some nasty poisonings. The caps are more fibrous than I have seen for Hygrophorus conicus, but the guides all say that they are sometimes that way. Although Lincoff mentions that some people think they may be hallucinogenic, I can't find any mention of that possibility in any other guide, so I wouldn't bother trying. Many guides suggest they may be poisonous, which would probably be one of the miscellaneous gastrointestinal poisons.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: bluemoon]
    #762456 - 07/20/02 02:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Shrooms found in VA!?!?! PICS [Re: Macey Howard]
    #762480 - 07/20/02 02:41 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Too bad about that but great ID...they look very cool.

Keep Huntin!

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #766204 - 07/21/02 10:33 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

The second one could be Phylloporus rhodoxantus:
http://www.univ-lehavre.fr/cybernat/pages/phylrhod.htm

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Shrooms found in VA!?!?! PICS [Re: ToxicMan]
    #766208 - 07/21/02 10:38 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I thought it is Hygrocybe conica but then I saw that Hygrophorus conicus it the same mushroom (synonim):

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/oct2001.html

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag