Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18382544 -



thats about how it looks all around me, tons of old hemlocks. They are really not hard to find. Hemlocks have very defined character they tend to stand taller then most trees and have a very distinct bark, their bark/body holds together quite well once fallen and it leaves a giant hole in the forest canopy. I havent much left dried, I can go out picking this weekend, I should be able to gather more then anyone could use.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: snoot]
    #18434399 -

Well, I transferred this to secondary yesterday, it finished at 1.024.  Got a full gallon jug for extended aging, and was able to get 2 additional 12oz's bottled.  So I'll have a couple for early tasting. 
The sample from the hydrometer actually didn't taste bad considering it was warm, flat, and full of yeast sediment.  A little boozy, which is to be expected at 10%abv, but no bad flavors. 

Will report back in about a month when the bottles carbonate!


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18434585 -

10%....badass


--------------------


spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18435699 -

Oeric McKenna said:
10%....badass



Yeah it attenuated a little better than I thought :drunk:

1.024 should still be plenty sweet though...  Hopefully the alcohol mellows out in the aged version!


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18436843 -

It always does man. tasting an early belgian or even strong octoberfest was always a mistake for me.
Has that astringent isopropyl tang
Then that fades away completely and leaves the beauty of fina balance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18439889 -

Oeric McKenna said:
It always does man. tasting an early belgian or even strong octoberfest was always a mistake for me.
Has that astringent isopropyl tang
Then that fades away completely and leaves the beauty of fina balance



I agree, that's a good way to describe it actually, like isopropanol.

I decided since this one's going to be in aging for so long, I'm going to have to start the next project...

Chaga stout!  This one will be quite a bit less "imperial", so it will be ready 6-7 weeks from brew day (hopefully this weekend).  I shall post a recipe soon, but the basic idea is to shoot for 5-6%, add some chocolate malt, and probably replace black patent with lots of chaga.  I think the coffee-like, almost roasty taste of chaga will be awesome in a stout. 

And this way we'll be able to see some results in the near future, while we're waiting for the other one to age.


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18440042 -

You certainly have the good ideas!


--------------------


spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18440490 -

:popcorn:

I'm curious to see how this comes out! It sounds very interesting.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: LustyLocks]
    #18440529 -

Speaking of interestng...one cat eats pizza...the other...acid. my my...


--------------------


spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18444986 -

Oeric McKenna said:
Speaking of interestng...one cat eats pizza...the other...acid. my my...



I sat there for a while, trying to choose between pizza, and acid... man, it was tough.  Can I just put the acid on the pizza? :lol:

Anyway, so how about this?

2.25 gallons / 1.059 --> 1.018 for 5.4%abv

3lbs light DME
4oz chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley
4oz crystal 150 (or should I go w/ crystal 60 again? any opinions?)
1-2oz chaga

an ounce of some low aa hops, whatever I've got.
US-05
3 weeks in primary, straight to bottle for 3 weeks.

Mmmmm....


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18448635 -

Forrester said:
Oeric McKenna said:
Speaking of interestng...one cat eats pizza...the other...acid. my my...



I sat there for a while, trying to choose between pizza, and acid... man, it was tough.  Can I just put the acid on the pizza? :lol:

Anyway, so how about this?

2.25 gallons / 1.059 --> 1.018 for 5.4%abv

3lbs light DME
4oz chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley
4oz crystal 150 (or should I go w/ crystal 60 again? any opinions?)
1-2oz chaga

an ounce of some low aa hops, whatever I've got.
US-05
3 weeks in primary, straight to bottle for 3 weeks.

Mmmmm....




I like the chocolate malt and the C150.  Looks great, you might want to toss in a cup of rolled oats to give it a nice head, other than that, don't change a thing.


--------------------
--------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" --Benjamin Franklin

"Those who give up liberty for security won't have, or deserve, either.". . . Benjamin Franklin
----> Read: The Fight of our Lives - Defeating the Ideological War Against the West - by Victor Davis Hanson

Edited by OICU812 (06/20/13 06:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: OICU812]
    #18448674 -

OICU812 said:
Forrester said:
Oeric McKenna said:
Speaking of interestng...one cat eats pizza...the other...acid. my my...



I sat there for a while, trying to choose between pizza, and acid... man, it was tough.  Can I just put the acid on the pizza? :lol:

Anyway, so how about this?

2.25 gallons / 1.059 --> 1.018 for 5.4%abv

3lbs light DME
4oz chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley
4oz crystal 150 (or should I go w/ crystal 60 again? any opinions?)
1-2oz chaga

an ounce of some low aa hops, whatever I've got.
US-05
3 weeks in primary, straight to bottle for 3 weeks.

Mmmmm....




I like the chocolate malt and the C150.  Looks great, you might want to toss in a cup of rolled oats to give it a nice head, other than that, don't change a thing.




Toast oats on a cookie tin first an hour at 350 prior to mash gives a nice flavor.


--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #18449311 -

Hell yeah^ I love toasting different grains & things.
Recently, toasted manderin orange peels


--------------------


spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: OICU812]
    #18449612 -

OICU812 said:

I like the chocolate malt and the C150.  Looks great, you might want to toss in a cup of rolled oats to give it a nice head, other than that, don't change a thing.




Awesome, glad to have a 2nd opinion on the darker crystal.  I haven't actually used it in anything yet!  Good idea on the rolled oats, I think I'll do that. 

Roasting them is a really good idea.  I want to make sure the chaga comes through on this one, so I'll probably wait to try that on my next stout.  I did a search and someone on the homebrew forums said it gives it an "oatmeal cookie" taste.  Yum...


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18541762 -

Alright so, preliminary tests on the Reishi stout show that I apparently forgot to add priming sugar :doh: 
The flat sample shows promise though.  Actually the alcohol taste wasn't even that bad (although I'm used to drinking a lot of higher gravity brews).  It was actually a bit sweet and I couldn't really pick out the Reishi.  Not really bitter at all.  I guess I overestimated it's bittering ability.  Next time, MORE reishi :smile:  Great beer though, I'd totally do 5 gallons next time with a shitload of reishi.  Warm you up nice on those winter nights!

Still haven't brewed the chaga stout, life is busy...


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18541795 -

No priming sugar!!??!!
Oh man its the alzheimer's setting in!


--------------------


spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18541861 -

Oeric McKenna said:
No priming sugar!!??!!
Oh man its the alzheimer's setting in!



lol, it's not the first time either...

When it's a whole batch, no problem but when just a couple bottles and the rest goes to secondary, fuck if I remember to add the damn sugar :doh:


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18585305 -

Kept putting off the chaga stout.  Then it got hot.  Real hot.  Way too hot in my house for neutral ale yeasts.  Saving the chaga stout recipe for later, but for now we're gonna brew...

Chaga saison!  Simple is best when it comes to saison yeasts:

6lbs extra light DME
1oz palisade hops
3oz chaga
Wyeast 3711 french saison.  It loves the heat :smile:
1.057 ---> 1.003 for 7.1%

Brewing it right now, outdoor style



First time trying out my new banjo burner.  Woohoo!


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Forrester]
    #18593245 -

Hell yeah I got one 2 years ago as a present. I'm sure you loved yours.
Looks like a solid recipe. I've never used palisade hops so im not sure what they're like.

That's funny too about the heat because people keep asking me, "what are you brewing?"

Nothing....but I need to get on it.  I'm thinking honey lemon wheat maybe


--------------------


spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi stout [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18596472 -

Yeah I got mine last christmas and just finally got around to using it.  It worked great, of course right as I got the boil going it started POURING rain, but it all worked out in the end.

Palisade hops are actually pretty nice.  I only started using them because I got them for like 37 cents an ounce on clearance from morebeer.com a while back.  But they're pretty agreeable as bittering, flavor or aroma additions.

Honey lemon wheat sounds good!  What kinda yeast you gonna use?  I can't wait for blackberry season so I can get my mead started...


--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Yarry's Chocoffee Stout Yarry 2,348 18 12/25/08 08:54 AM
by dstark
* Hey brewers, couple questions about my first stout peruvian spark 1,485 7 01/18/08 01:10 PM
by impgl
* Guinness stout clone ralphroks 556 0 04/13/07 04:53 AM
by ralphroks
* English style Stouts- Hops Recommendations? Srirachi 1,008 4 02/08/07 06:50 PM
by SirTripAlot
* reishi & rooibos snoot 407 0 10/31/07 12:58 PM
by snoot
* Homebrewers unite! Do you brew?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Maverick 9,792 63 09/01/09 10:24 AM
by zorbman
* BEER chet 566 10 07/29/10 01:09 PM
by LeftyBurnz
* Brewing a witbier without witbier yeast. ApJunkie 1,338 8 04/06/12 09:43 AM
by ApJunkie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
3,390 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.