Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Direction and a place to start?
    #1844955 - 08/24/03 05:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all. I was just reading the big posts about the dronebots and the people copying and pasting stuff that really isn't their own, (VERY good post by the way) and I realised I wasn't even sure what spirituality really was.

So I wondered where I should be headed in terms of spirituality. Where does one start and where does one end if at all? What are my foundations and what do I begin with, and what should I continue onto. A lot of these posts I don't read just because of the fact that I don't fully understand them and I think a lot of people are the same way. I do want to read books but I don't want other's ideas (Unless I can experience it and know for myself and not take someone's word for it ya know?) . I want to know for myself what is right but how does one know? What if anything, should I do? Also, how does spirituality fit in with my everyday life or lifestyle.

If anyone has any suggestions or even stories of how they got started with their whole "spiritual quest" so to speak, it would be appreciated and might help out some spirit newbs such as myself. =)

BTW, I just wanted to say thanks to all the positive helpful people on this board. It always cheers me up to come on here and see so many people working together and talking about things and generally having a good time. Sweet. So ya, start posting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Direction and a place to start? [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #1845031 - 08/24/03 07:33 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"I want to know for myself what is right but how does one know?"

I don't know if I'm correct on saying this but I think people will tell you different things.  SOme will say one thing and one will say the other, but it really shouldn't matter because all help is good!  It's basically sharing ideas and sorting them out for yourself based on your experiences.  after all, how can I say what is right and what is wrong for you?  I could ask you a question, or even propose a situation to make the mind think. 

"If anyone has any suggestions or even stories of how they got started with their whole "spiritual quest" so to speak, it would be appreciated and might help out some spirit newbs such as myself. =)"

sure thanks for asking!  I first heard from a comedian bill hicks (and it was on a Tool record too called Aenima), and here's what I remember of the statement

"Today a man on acid realized that matter is only energy condensed to a slow vibration; that we are one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is but a dream, and we are the imaginations of ourselves, now here's Tom with the weather."

At this same time I was reading (for my philosophy class :wink:) a book on an 11,000 year old thought process told by the "toltec." There were some really great ideas I got out of this book.  The ideas were similar; life's an illusion, we are one consciousness, and so on.  From there the toltec wisdom stated about judging others right or wrong.  I was working on that whole judgement thing for a very long time (still am!).  From there i jsut kept reading, following certain links, jotting notes in my head.  Now I'm onto focusing my mind :smile:

hope this helped :laugh:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Direction and a place to start? [Re: kaiowas]
    #1845046 - 08/24/03 07:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Everyone has their own Path, and we all walk this Path whether or not we do it consciously, it just depends on how fast you walk it.. hehe.

It all depends on yourself. Just look around for answers. The more answers you get, of course, the more troublesome questions you will find...

I have a young baby in my room right now, and I have some good ole' metal playing.. think that will effect his taste in music in some other point in his life? Hehe.

I believe that our mind is basically a super computer, however, we pretty much design the operating system and software running ourselves, either by picking it up from our experiences or by consciously programming our mind..

Everything is input. Everything you see, everything you hear, everything you feel... it is all input. Your thoughts are input. We have the power of thinking any thoughts that we want, right? I can make my mind say "I love listening to IN FLAMES", or "Elvis is still alive". Our thoughts are in our control. It is quite strange to think about this, how do you think a thought? hehe.

Anyways, we effectively program ourselves to whatever end we wish. Indirectly or directly. This is an important part of spirituality for me, because I myself can work myself up the ladder of higher consciousness by taking control of my mind.

I mean, think about it. We all pick up a lot of bullshit nonsense when we are childs, when we really don't realize that we can take control of our mind and all that. Most people never realize it. Programs that we never really actively picked up run their course and effect our awareness of what is around us. I cannot really explain what I am trying to explain well.. there is a realization that everyone has to make themselves. I made it, but I'm not really adept at presenting the ideas to others so that they can make the realization..

Okay, I guess if you are really interested in spirituality, check out the book "Handbook to Higher Consciousness": It will be one of the most important books you have come across, I guarantee it. You just need to actually try what is in the book instead of just reading it, otherwise you'll never get anywhere..
Good luck, man, and sorry I couldn't have done a better job starting you off.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1845074 - 08/24/03 08:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Keep it simple. That which brings you joy is spiritual; that which brings you pain is not. The areas in your life of greatest pain are where you need to focus. By focus, I mean you need to truly understand the cause of your suffering and eliminate it.

Take care of your body and take special care of your relationships.

Strive for you highest ideals. Take no short-cuts.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Direction and a place to start? [Re: Swami]
    #1845102 - 08/24/03 09:22 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Forward from:
Handbook to Higher Consciousness by Ken Keyes Jr. & Gathering Power Through Insight and Love by Penny Keyes, Ken Keyes Jr. & Staff.

Millions of years ago when our animal ancestors had to survive in The jungle, it was necessary to have an instantly effective fight or flight mechanism. When a tiger was about to spring, an automatic emotional response was a life saver. A nervous shock was needed to squirt adrenaline into the blood so that muscles became jet powered. Emotional alarms were needed to command full attention. When a tiger was ready to jump, there was no time to admire the beautiful sunset. As a jungle survival mechanism, our animal ancestors were programmed for automatic duality-automatic feelings of otherness, threat, and paranoia. Survival required instant domination of consciousness to meet the perils of the jungle.
We are the pioneers in the evolution of human consciousness. It was only about 10,000 years ago that our ancestors built the first cities. As civilization grew, survival no longer depended on the instant fight or flight of the jungle. Survival and happiness now depend on tuning in to the overall situation involving ourselves, the people around us, and the total environment of the here and now. Perceptiveness, wisdom, and oneness are now the ingredients of effective and happy living. But our biocomputers are still programmed for jungle fight or flight-for a fast release of adrenaline into the blood stream, and for rapid heart beat-for automatic anger and fear. In our social interactions, our consciousness magnifies molehills and makes them into mountains-and this constant distortion destroys our energy, our insight, and our ability to love.

Thus survival in the jungle meant that we had to be programmed for instant paranoia-instant fear-instant anger-and perception of duality. Survival in our world today means we must have instant perceptions of oneness-of Iove-of union with everyone and understanding of everything around us. When we learn to cut through our paranoid jungle program we are on our way to higher consciousness and happiness.

Evolution is now working to remedy this primitive jungle wiring in our brain that tends to hold us on lower conscious levels. Paranoid, dualistic individuals who cannot love themselves and others tend to get heart trouble, ulcers, other psychoses diseases, are accident-prone, etc. Perhaps in 100,000 years through the ruthless survival of the fittest, humans may have nervous systems that are automatically structured to produce instant insights that facilitate love and oneness. But that doesn't help you and me. We need the Living Love Way to show us how to live in consciousness as soon as possible-to override our jungle programming so that we can enjoy living here and now. We have escaped from the domination of instincts (instant unlearned behavior) that guides animals through their dual situations. Since the young human is not provided with a full repertoire of automatic fixed responses, we are unable to independently cope with life for a number of years after birth. This long period of plasticity and openness to learning complex life guidance patterns helps us avoid fixed preprogrammed behavior. For example long nurturing period lets us learn complex language systems- our flexibility is such that we can learn to communicate in Spanish as easily as in English or any other language. Instead of a complete pattern of animal-type instincts to provide survival responses to life situations, the young child uses mechanisms backed by hair-trigger emotions to develop sensation, and power magnification of the moment-to-moment sensory inputs. Our personal development into fulfilling, Our lives (as well as the progression of civilization beyond the dual power consciousness) depends on our getting free of our emotion-backed, subject-object, me-them, security-sensation-power trips.

It may be helpful to see this progression of consciousness in outline form as follows: *ORGANISM - Relatively fixed life style based on instinct or unlearned preprogrammed behavior.
*Animal Lower Consciousness - Fright-or-flight directed, subject-object, emotion- backed security, sensation, and power consciousness.
*Human Higher Consciousness - (increasingly involving the rational mind) that makes us inflexibly guard and protect habitual folkways and personal patterns.
*Human METHOD OF PROTECTING AND ENHANCING THE ORGANISM - The ego-driven negative emotions have been replaced by wide-ranging insight and deep intuitive understanding giving full flexibility to flow in mutually supportive and loving ways with no inflexible folkways and personal patterns.

The biocomputer with which you are equipped is the most remarkable instrument in the universe. Your only problem is to learn to use it properly. It is capable of handling two million visual inputs and one hundred thousand auditory inputs at any one time. Your biocomputer operates continually throughout all of its parts and is capable of making millions of simultaneous computations. It operates with enormous power primarily on unconscious levels-with only a tiny proportion of its activity rising to the level of consciousness. The conscious level of your biocomputer is analogous to the print-out of the man-made computers. Your journey into higher consciousness is a matter of your learning how to properly program your remarkable biocomputer. When you really learn to operate your exquisite mechanism, you will be able to fully realize your potential for a happy life.

A wonderful thing about life is that it is naturally good. Life is set up to work-to produce love, fulfillment, and happiness continuously. However, various situations during your first years of life conditioned you in the methods of consciousness which continually generate unhappiness in your life. Yet every current experience can aid you in your growth toward higher consciousness if you know how to use it. This Handbook will explain how you have been creating the experiences that you have. It will show you exactly what to do to break out of the traps in your mind that are the cause of all the unhappiness that you have experienced in your life! When you apply the Methods in the Handbook, you will be able to turn your life around. The continuous experience of love, serenity, happiness, joy, effectiveness, perceptiveness, and wisdom that you have had only in bits and pieces can now be available to you all of the time. You will learn how to experience the world as a friendly, loving place that has been designed to give you everything that you need. You will develop a "miraculous" quality in your life. Beautiful things will happen so continuously that you can no longer ascribe it to mere "coincidence." You will experience that you can create more love, happiness, and serenity than you need for living a thoroughly fulfilled and enjoyable life.

While this was certainly not your intention, you will become aware of how you have been turning yourself off to the energies of the world around you. Your mind has been programmed to process incoming visual, auditory, and other information in ways that continuously alienate and separate you from people. You will realize that you have been unconscious of what you have been doing to yourself. It is as though you have been born with eyes that see only with great distortion-but which give the illusion of seeing sharply and clearly. This Handbook will help you become aware that the only real problem in your life involves how consciously you use your mind-and it gives you clear instructions for carrying out the inner work necessary to become an energetic, perceptive, loving being. Living Love is a positive cure for all of the suffering and un- happiness in your life and that of all humanity. The Living Love Way offers mankind one of the most powerful tools for emerging victorious in the race between higher consciousness and the suffering of atomic annihilation, ecological degradation, prejudice, and the thousand fold ways we separate ourselves from each other.

Ahh.. at least I found this... Check out amazon.com for the book, there are a lot of used books of this being sold starting at 50 cents.. I just wish I hadn't left mine with a friend, I need to buy one of these used ones...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1845105 - 08/24/03 09:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I have tried hard to live by the K I S S principle... I first heard of it in High School through an awesome Physics teacher...

K I S S >>>  Keep It Simple Stupid    :lol:

It has been with me ever since..

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Direction and a place to start? [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1847260 - 08/25/03 01:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

heh, already heard the bill hicks thing. im a big tool fan too. got into them a year and a bit ago? As far as simplicity, I agree but it's only simple once you really understand it, at least I think so. Once you truly understand it anyways ya know? But ya thanks for the book reference in totally gonna be checkin that out ASAP. many thanks to fw god. lol. but ya if anyone else has anything to say i'll take the time to read it =)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1847448 - 08/25/03 02:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

book sounds sweet.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1847516 - 08/25/03 03:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Where to start..... yeah.... where to go.... hmm....

Start with the part of you that sees when your eyes are closed.
Who is this person?
No form.... no shape... only thoughts in the abyss.
Before doing or reading anything... try as best as you can to stabilize this person. You don't need a structure... just an open, yet skeptical mind. Balance is incredibly important.
This is your ivory tower. Now you can read what others have said, but don't blindly accept anything... see if and how this new information can or cannot be applied to your everyday life.

But that's just this amorphous blob of thoughts' take on the matter.....

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: Direction and a place to start? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1847720 - 08/25/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

for me cannabis was the beggining. The state of stoned showed me there is something beyond us and muchmore within ourselves we are unaware of. The mushrooms took it a stage further from there ive been able to advance my understanding in the sober state.

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals