Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinewingnutx
In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation
    #1844853 - 08/24/03 04:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/weekin...;partner=GOOGLE

August 24, 2003

In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation

By JOHN TAGLIABUE

PARIS ? Don't get sick in Paris in August.

Not only do hospitals cut back capacity, as nurses and doctors depart for the sacrosanct August vacation. Stores close, restaurants close, even the city's ice cream parlors drop their shutters during the hottest month of the year so that employees won't miss their month-long summer holiday.

Apparently, nothing gets in the way of the holiday, not even grandma and grandpa. This summer's withering heat wave claimed a staggering number of victims ? the government talks of perhaps 5,000 deaths, the country's largest undertaker twice that number ? most of whom were elderly. The police, undertakers and social service agencies found them in apartments, homes and hotels. The rooms were often as hot as ovens.

Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin, noted last week that roughly half the victims died in their homes, not in hospitals or nursing homes, implying that French families, in a rush to get to the beach, had simply left their loved ones to perish in the inferno. (And indeed, some families postponed funerals until after the Aug. 15 holiday weekend.)

The summer heat wave has exposed not only France's slavish devotion to August vacation, but also the breakdown of family ties. French society, experts say, now increasingly turns its back on the elderly.

"They are isolated," said Michel Chegaray, the secretary general of the Little Brothers of the Poor, a volunteer organization that assists the aged. "The family leaves, the corner store closes, they often live in the inexpensive top floors, where it is hottest."

One woman with severe respiratory problems, living in Paris's 13th Arrondissement, was sent home by an overcrowded and understaffed hospital, and died in her apartment. Another Parisian reported watching his mother die in a hospital where he alone was present to care for her. The rooms were not air-conditioned, he complained to a local paper, and much of the staff was on vacation. After the mother's death, it was hard to find hospital employees to make arrangements for the body and fill out the necessary paperwork.

"There is a sort of indifference to the problem of old age," said Dr. Fran?oise Forette, the director of Broca Hospital, which specializes in clinical geriatrics, in Paris. "Indifference in the face of a revolution in longevity."

Like most Western societies, France is experiencing an explosion in the number of elderly as life expectancy continues to lengthen. Traditionally, the French relied on tight-knit families to care for the aged, and to a degree that remains true. Indeed, government policy emphasizes efforts to keep the elderly in their own homes, providing money for day nurses and housekeepers to care for them, rather than committing the aged to retirement or nursing homes. Hence fewer than 15 percent of all French people above 80 are in some form of institution. Comparable figures for the United States are hard to come by, but the figure there is probably closer to 20 percent.

But French families are changing.

"Women were traditionally the pivot of assistance to the elderly," Dr. Forette said. Yet women are now work outside the home in ever increasing numbers. Moreover, mobility has invaded French society, once rigorously stable. While sons and daughters live and work in Bordeaux or Marseille, their elderly parents stay behind in Paris. Similarly, in rural families, aged parents remain in the countryside while their children gravitate to the big cities in search of jobs.

The French have been casting a glance at their southern neighbors, Spain and Italy, where temperatures during the heat wave exceeded those in France, yet the number of reported deaths was lower. Maybe these countries were better prepared to cope with heat because their summers are routinely hotter. Moreover, traditional family ties supposedly remain stronger there.

Yet differing reporting methods may also account for the difference. In Italy, for instance, heat can be taken as the cause of death only when the victim has no other known disabilities, which is rarely the case with the elderly. Moreover, the breakdown of family ties has not escaped France's Mediterranean neighbors.

The Italian media were full of reports this month about Maria Di Dio, 82, a widow from Caltanissetta, Sicily, and mother of 12 grown children. The police detained her son Salvatore after he deposited his mother on the doorstep of his brother Leonardo in 105 degree heat, before departing for his August holiday. Salvatore argued that it had been Leonardo's turn to care for their mother, even though he admitted knowing that Leonardo had already gone on vacation.

Quote:

left their loved ones to perish in the inferno

Heh, some inferno. I go jogging in that weather.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: wingnutx]
    #1844930 - 08/24/03 06:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Heh, some inferno. I go jogging in that weather.

That's kinda the point isn't it? If you live in a country not used to hot weather it's going to have more of an effect. Seems simple enough.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1844947 - 08/24/03 06:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's a strange article, to say the least.

"French families, in a rush to get to the beach, had simply left their loved ones to perish in the inferno."

As if they knew that Grandma was going to die if they left her alone?  :confused:

"One woman with severe respiratory problems, living in Paris's 13th Arrondissement, was sent home by an overcrowded and understaffed hospital, and died in her apartment."

Ya, good thing hospital beds in other countries are given to anyone who needs a little air conditioning.  Hospitals are always the best place to escape the summer heat.  :confused: :confused:

"The summer heat wave has exposed not only France's slavish devotion to August vacation, but also the breakdown of family ties."

"slavish" devotion to vacations???  Now that's just a wierd choice of words.  Thank goodness we don't have this "slavish" devotion, we prefer to WORK through the summer!    :confused: :confused: :confused:

(nothing negative directed at you wingnutx)   

--------------------

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1844954 - 08/24/03 07:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Not only do hospitals cut back capacity, as nurses and doctors depart for the sacrosanct August vacation.

I am not impressed by someone who starts their article with a sentance fragment, and, in my opinion, it's just a harbinger of the shitty things to come in this article.  :wink:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: Sev]
    #1844991 - 08/24/03 08:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It's just another example of how evil those french are. They're so callous they still go on holiday even if they knew grandma is going to die. I knew Bush was right about them!!

Why doesn't this asshole simply write "I hate french people cos they wouldn't support George Bush"? It would be an awful lot more honest  :laugh:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinewingnutx
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: Xlea321]
    #1845140 - 08/24/03 12:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The New York Times generally hates Bush.

I will not argue that it's anywhere near an impartial news source, because it's not.

Funny article, though :smile:

OfflineFileSoup
    #1845753 - 08/24/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Johnny Depp has moved there.

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: FileSoup]
    #1845758 - 08/24/03 05:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'd move there tomorrow, if that were a real option. Anyone here who has bought into all this administration-guided France bashing is the tiny little idiot that the Bush administration hopes you are - and appears to be right.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Offlinewingnutx
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1845785 - 08/24/03 05:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I must be ahead of the curve, 'cause I've been bashing France for 20 years. Maybe I watch too much Simpsons.

I was there a couple of months ago and it was in the mid 90s. I just don't see how this could kill 10,000 people, or even half that many. It's insane.

It was just as hot right across the Rhine in Germany, and nobody's stacking up bodies over there.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1845870 - 08/24/03 06:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:
I'd move there tomorrow, if that were a real option. Anyone here who has bought into all this administration-guided France bashing is the tiny little idiot that the Bush administration hopes you are - and appears to be right.

Nice try. Plenty of people have despised the French for years. I have not seen the administration say anything about bashing France. Most of it has come from American citizens that don't like their politics. These Americans have exercised their right to show their displeasure through their speech and buying patterns. It has had a real effect. Their economy is hurting because of it. Specifically their wine and tourism sectors. Calling people tiny little idiots for exercising their rights is pretty hypocritical of you.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: shakta]
    #1845968 - 08/24/03 06:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

anyone who would "despise" the entire french culture is not only a tiny little idiot but also totally passe. hello, where do good movies come from? fucking france that's where! city of lost child? I'm not seeing anything close to that coming out of shittywood.

or how about... nude beaches! fuck yeah! nude beaches are the shit, like the hippie ones in vancouver anyways.

or french food? there's this amazing french restaurant in the minneapolis that used to be a huge house. what does american culture have to call it's own? corndogs? 7-11?

face it, the only reason to "despise" france is an sense of insecure nationalism- cause america's culture sucks.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: Malachi]
    #1845985 - 08/24/03 07:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It has nothing to do with French culture. It is just a way to voice our displeasure with their politics, and is every citizen's right. It is similar to the boycotts Jackson is always calling for. Of course his boycotts are used as a way to extort money from companies. He then uses the money to care for his fun babies.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1845998 - 08/24/03 07:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Malachi said:
anyone who would "despise" the entire french culture is not only a tiny little idiot but also totally passe.  hello, where do good movies come from?  fucking france that's where!  city of lost child? I'm not seeing anything close to that coming out of shittywood. 

or how about... nude beaches!  fuck yeah! nude beaches are the shit, like the hippie ones in vancouver anyways.

or french food?  there's this amazing french restaurant in the minneapolis that used to be a huge house. what does american culture have to call it's own?  corndogs? 7-11?

face it, the only reason to "despise"  france is an sense of insecure nationalism- cause america's culture sucks.   

I watch French films all the time on the Independent Film Channel.  They're much different from American movies; a very refreshing break.  As for French food, just look at any Zagat Survey (very famous restaurant guide).  French restaurants are always ranked among the best in every major city in America.  And nude beaches?  Hell they've got an entire nude city (Cap d' Agde)!  :grin: 

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: Cornholio]
    #1846000 - 08/24/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What does that have to do with the supposed administration lead war on the French?

Offlinewingnutx
    #1846070 - 08/24/03 07:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

anyone who would "despise" the entire french culture is not only a tiny little idiot but also totally passe.

This is funny, since you are the chief culture-despiser on here.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1846091 - 08/24/03 07:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's Ok though since HE doesn't like it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: In France, Nothing Gets in the Way of Vacation [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1846224 - 08/24/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

well, it's obvious when all you can think of to counter an argument is "well that's just your opinion". well no shit man, but you're going to have to defend american cinema, food, and degree of puritanism against the french to actually have a valid retort.

"What does that have to do with the supposed administration lead war on the French?"

that it's retarded to support this anti-french shit, that instead we ought to support fance in its noble stance- and recognize that the stance they take is in large because of their cultural riches. too bad america can't exploit or buy it's way into some quality culture...

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1846385 - 08/24/03 09:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If american culture sucks so bad, then why are they all watching hollywood movies?

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
    #1846401 - 08/24/03 09:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

American cinema is like everyone else's: a few good ones, a whole lotta bad ones.

Bollywood #1

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1846434 - 08/24/03 09:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

bollywood... oh bollywood.  it's starting to get pretty risque these days, the hot indian chicks are coming out... oh yes :smile:

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion