Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon HEPA Filter, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegggiiimmmppp
Stranger
Terrarium automation
    #1823761 - 08/17/03 08:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm planning a fully automated/enclosed terrarium system and just wanted to throw it on the table and ask some questions before I try to implement it. It will be in a standard opaque tub of some sort.  Light will be provided by an ultrabright blue LED on the top.  To circulate the air there will be an intake fan (likely a quiet 80mm computer fan) with a filter of some sort to prevent contamination from dust and other airborne particles.  For exhaust I was thinking of just cutting a hole in the top and having a flap of some kind over it to keep it sealed while still allowing air to escape when the fan is on.  For the sake of not having to open the terrarium except when absolutely necessary I have a spare webcam I will mod into the terrarium (timelapse anyone? :smile:).  I am 90% sure I will be doing casings, but I have not determined how I will manage humidity.  I am assuming I will be using standard b+ strain.

Questions:
- A single bright LED will be sufficient I am assuming?  Would it be fine just mounted in the top or should I try to diffuse it across the top of the terrarium?
- Does anyone know where I could find a suitable tub that can be locked?  Ibviously a flimsy plastic tub can only be so secure but I am more worried about the people I live with opening it unknowingly than someone breaking in to steal them or something.
- Any thoughts on the fan filter?  It has to be something that won't strain the fan too much (air does have to get through) but the more foreign particles I can keep out the better.
- Anyone know of a cheap timer that could manage the fans?  I was thinking of ripping the hour and second hands off of a clock and using the minute hand to close a circuit to the fans for a few seconds once per hour.

I'm sure I will have more questions but this is a bit to mill over.  I'm about to go out for the evening so beyond a few minutes from now I might not be able to respond for a few hours.  Anyway, toss it around, let me know what you think.  Suggestions are obviously welcome. 

--------------------
This post is a work of fiction in the first person from the perspective of (and written by) my hardworking team of monkeys with typewriters. All images therein are computer generated artists' renderings.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Terrarium automation [Re: gggiiimmmppp]
    #1824102 - 08/17/03 10:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

intermatic light timers are the shit.

I wanna see that time lapse when you do it :smile:

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Offlinesc4recr0w
Stranger

Loc: The promised land
Re: Terrarium automation [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1824218 - 08/17/03 10:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've done basically this exact setup.(except for the light, i used a incandescent bulb on a timer) works great :smile: I would think the led light should work, being that mushrooms use light only for direction(and i think some strains use it to initiate pinning)and as for timers I bought mine at wallyworld. (there in the home improvement section i think). also i mounted the puter fan on the bottom (made sure it blowed down) and cut a hole on top, then pasted a hepa vacuum filter on top. 

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Terrarium automation [Re: sc4recr0w]
    #1824299 - 08/17/03 11:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

There's some decent digital timers available at home depot or lowes. I have one that cycles my hepa fan on for five minutes at the top of each hour. You can use perlite for humidity, or get a cool mist humidifier, and buy a greenhouse humidistat, and set it at 80-85. I regularly leave for 5-6 days at a time, and the only problem is coming back to a shitload of spores that dropped everywhere 'cause I wasn't there to pick.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegggiiimmmppp
Stranger
Re: Terrarium automation [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #1824989 - 08/18/03 03:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Do you have any problems maintaining the humidity with the fan on for that much time per hour?

--------------------
This post is a work of fiction in the first person from the perspective of (and written by) my hardworking team of monkeys with typewriters. All images therein are computer generated artists' renderings.

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
Re: Terrarium automation *DELETED* [Re: gggiiimmmppp]
    #1825330 - 08/18/03 08:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinegggiiimmmppp
Stranger
Re: Terrarium automation [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #1825708 - 08/18/03 12:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, money is always an issue. I think I might try the clock thing just for the hell of it unless the ones at home depot are pocket sized....

--------------------

OfflineDrippy
Stranger thanmost.

Loc: BC, Canada 'eh
Re: Terrarium automation [Re: gggiiimmmppp]
    #1829265 - 08/19/03 12:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am designing a simular system but it will be controlled by my PC. Many times I have been sitting here at work wondering what is going on with my babies. The software I am working on will be able to send email alerts, monitor water levels and temp in the incubator and adjust, humidity levels etc. This is experimental so if you or anyone thinks it may be usefully or has some ideas please let me know.

--------------------
My weapon is my mind. Too bad I'm firing blanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon HEPA Filter, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology