Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomologist
Loc: SouthEastern US
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: debianlinux]
    #1264248 - 01/31/03 05:28 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'll keep with this thread also. I want to see it come to fruit so to speak, and have enough limited knowledge to program, design, assemble and test units. As far as mass producing this unit, it still might be limited. We will see.

I basically need a starting point. Pokesmot and i talked and figured it would be best to start off with temp and temp control only first, then move to humidity and other options like LCD, C02 levels, serial communication, external ram (compact flash/usb card).

I would like for an all in one unit, but it wouldn't be hard to design a unit flexible enough to program with a serial interface to a computer.

where should i start?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: shroomologist]
    #1264590 - 01/31/03 07:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well, temp is the easiest angle to start with but, at least for me, is also the most useless as I have no problem regulating temperature with practically no more work than setting it and letting go. depending on what "platform" your gonna build off of this may well be the best way to start just to get into the swing of things (you know like housing and wiring/running, etc.). when you get some "specs" together toss me some part#'s and some tech spec sheets. I'm curious about the expandability of this device. my vision would be a "box" that you can get various sensors for and joe_cultivator could add sensors as needed. the real gem here is gonna be the software. it needs a "plug&play" (cringe) type feature where it is capable of reading all the sensors out of the box and will immediately begin reading/logging the second a sensor is plugged in. there will have to be a decision to make it a computer programmable/interfacable box with LCD (BTW LCD's are stupid simple to work with, I made an aquarium control unit for my logic class' final project, measured water levels and temperature and operated water valves and pumps to keep a constant temp and water level and was entirely LCD/keypad based). personally I would want the whole thing to be computer only. average joe_cultivator doesn't have spare computers laying around tho. computer only definitely makes it all easier as the circuitry is simply sensors, switches, and communication (serial). data logging is my main reason for wanting it entirely computer based. again, the software is the k3y here. this is why I'm more interested in watching this develope, I don't really have time to play with all these scenarios or develop them. i can provide creative input and criticism. an ideal starter box would regulate temperature (that's a trick since there is no set method for providing heat, I use a oil-filled radiator heater for example, not an aquarium heater), humidity, lighting, and lastly co2. co2 is a bit thorny since sensor tpye, placement, proper use, and what to actually do about it are very ambigous. so, there's some more blah blah from me :smile:.

Offlineshroomologist
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: debianlinux]
    #1264623 - 01/31/03 08:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i know temp is a bit useless, but it could be better suited for incubators.

like, I gutted a dorm fridge, and i'd like to be able to take temperature readings and regulate temperature inside within a certain acuracy. Then, when fruilting, basically only log the temp, but not control it.

humidity is more useful. Getting an accurate sensor, and means to accurately measure and control the humidity is a little triucky, since some of the sensors are not accurate past 90% RH.

Do you have the pic subroutines for the LCD and the keypad?
I have subroutines for A/D conversion and control aspects. the main program won't be anything special. Call this, call that, return to this, etc etc.

I'd like to have a unit, that measures 2 temp and 2 humidity sensors and controls up to 2 heaters and 2 humifidiers.

would a built in adjustment for light be good too?

This could be used for any type of growing. Weed, Salvia, Mushrooms (active and non active), household plants, terreriums, reptiles and amphibians etc etc.

I know i could market it, problem is, i can't write shit for code in windows. I'm used to assembly and digital logic :smile:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1265861 - 01/31/03 02:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

basically only log the temp, but not control it.

i would like that as well
Quote:

Do you have the pic subroutines for the LCD and the keypad?

when i said it was entirely LCD based i meant that. i could dig it up if you are truly interested. there was no PIC (that was the next semester) all the preset max/min was based on high/low states for the individual LCD cells. basically it was a true study in logic gates. when the "preset" temperature max/min was showing on the LCD then all the necessary high/lows were met and the required function would be activated. IOW, the pins of the LCD cells were attached to logic gates so the state of the cell corresponded to the logic state in the gates. the whole thing was built around an A/D converter which I don't recall (again, I could dig it up if you want, it won't be too relevant to this project). i do remember that i used a transistor's internal junction/diode (which is extremely sensitive to temperature changes) as the actual temperature probe, IOW the probe was physically a transistor using just the base and emitter (that impressed the hell out my instructors). As for PICs, well after my digital semester I got pretty jaded with electronics on the whole and basically did what I had to graduate and quit being so creative and progressive in my learning (this was because I wanted to patent this aquarium control unit and my school informed me that it was THEIR intellectual property and I could do no such thing) This was when I really focused on computer networking (and discovered Debian Linux and got my nick) which is my job today.
Quote:

would a built in adjustment for light be good too?

making a timer function for lighting would be trivial, why not?
Quote:

i can't write shit for code in windows. I'm used to assembly and digital logic :smile: 

same here (though I'm far out of practice, really I just use my "skills" for repair,.. I can fix ANYTHING electronic) in fact, I have discovered that I'm mentally blocked when it comes to anything more advanced than JAVA (hmmm, maybe I could code some JAVA for this, dunno haven't touched that since I lost my webmaster job) 

Offlineir2suave
Stranger
    #1266266 - 01/31/03 06:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What were you planning to use to adjust the humidity that needs to be computer controlled along with your idea. All the humidistats that i've seen have all been mechanical only by manually tuning them. Unless you are able to come up with an idea that that incorperates a motor that drives the nob that tunes the humidistat. I don't think this sort of thing can be done by a pc.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Terrarium control system *DELETED* [Re: ir2suave]
    #1266429 - 01/31/03 07:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineChronicSmoker
ChronicBong-HitterExtrordinaire.

Loc: Right here. . . -SFL-
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: poke smot!]
    #1266862 - 01/31/03 09:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

How much does that cost? Looks good but It says it's only accurate to 95%Rh. Could it still give 'reasonable' readings outside that range?
I'm eager to build a 'grow space' control system, but I'm more inclined into doing in through a computer-based unit. Although designing a standalone unit which would make it easy for the user to modify the routines would be a great project. You have my full support, guys.
This is one cool-ass thread...!  :laugh: :cool:

Offlineshroomologist
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: ir2suave]
    #1267000 - 01/31/03 11:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

logic on and off humidifier

if humidity is too low, turn on, if too high, turn off.

simple

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1267545 - 02/01/03 09:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The PIC chips are really nice for simple controllers. There are several different types and styles of the chip. They use a very small risc instruction set that is very easy to learn and program (assuming you know basic assembly). You can turn almost any pin on the chip into an input or an output. Be careful of inputs that are open collector only and don't forget the pullup resistor if needed.

If you need more power, something like the motorola HC11 (M68HC711E9 is a good reprogrammable version) chipset is pretty good. The instruction set is more complex, as is the chip itself. They have built in analog to digital converters and EEPROM, both of which can be nice. You would need something like a Maxium max131 (? been a while, think this is the chip I used to use) chip to convert to serial line (RS232) voltages.

In both cases you need special hardware to burn the chips. We had a programmer for the PIC chips and just built a programmer into the HC11 designs.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Terrarium control system *DELETED* [Re: Seuss]
    #1269375 - 02/01/03 09:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineChronicSmoker
ChronicBong-HitterExtrordinaire.

Loc: Right here. . . -SFL-
    #1269426 - 02/01/03 09:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, that's a crazy  little  program you've written up there! Kudos on all the cool work.  :shocked: :cool:   

Offlineshroomologist
    #1270332 - 02/02/03 08:23 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hey poke smot

wanna just build some of those for now?

ONLY for logging?

cause for the most part, its kinda hard to fuck up the humidity and temperature once fruiting. Unless you're a total tool.

i could etch some boards for free, get chips for cheep and assemble at work, and you can include software and code.

just an idea.

Offlinecyankid
    #1271905 - 02/02/03 07:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ranco makes a two way temp controller. Easy plug in (120V) access. Too hot, turns on the cooling device, too cold, turns on the heating device. Accurate to the degree and has a resolution up to three degrees F. Simple, and only about 80 bucks. I really really like this idea though, I'm figuring out how to run a parallel cable to my setup.

For those of us in warmer climates (or those of us who are control freaks) what do ya'll reccomend for cooling? An airconditioner would work, but is dumb for obvious reasons. Glycol unit? Freezer compressor? TEC/Peltier/Heat sink?

Free P. Cyanescens spores to the first person to offer a decent priced unit with temp/hygro contol/logging.

cyankid

Offlineshroomologist
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: cyankid]
    #1271997 - 02/02/03 08:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

first off, we're trying to make a controller for under $50

so far, we can do that, and i'm working on a design for the pic processing unit. Right now, the unit pokesmot uses, plugs into the computer, and the computer controls the RH and Temp. Alot easier to program and use a computer than it would be to spend way too much for a limited ability unit. His unit does control, sense and logs the data.

and for cooling, it would probably be easier to use a peltier because of size and cost. Its not cheap, but you can get units with heat sinks on them already for under $30. Hook that to a fan, and blow cool air into the chamber, or just mount inside.

so, who would be interested in one of these units? is it worth developing?

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: cyankid]
    #1272017 - 02/02/03 08:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here is what I a, thinking... (Sorry, I have been offline for a few days I moved to a new apartment).

I think that we can design a device that anyone can easily use. The PIC microcontroller would be programmed to sense temperature and rH and turn an output on or off based on the current temp. and rH. The design would be:

A user plugs the temperature and rH regulating devices (Humdifiers, aquarium heaters, heating pads, ect) into the controller, then the PIC micro controller turns them on or off depending on the current conditions. The user can control the temperature and rH levels by DIP switches that can be adjusted depending on there liking.

The unit that I am thinking of will plug into the wall and have to input plugs. You would plug your temp. controller into one and rH controller into the other (
humidifiers, aqua heaters, heating pads, ect.) . You set the DIP switches to your desired conditions and that is it. The PIC will turn your devices on or off depeniding on the conditions.

It might also be useful to add a aeration plug into the device or create a differnet model for people that use perlite or other humidification methods that do not introdurce fresh air into their terrariums. One out put to control the temp and the other output to contol the air exchange. Which of coarse could be controlled by DIP switches that can be changed to just about anything the user want/needs

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

OfflineGthirteens
GovernmentalStrain 13
    #1272432 - 02/03/03 01:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Post a price ASAP!! How big of a growing chamber is it? Is it small, or large?... enough to grow alot?

Peace
Gthirteens

--------------------
Nostalgiaholic -

Fresh Times Past Age Like Wine,
More and More Precious All the Time

We have found they can intoxicate,
Blurring the Reality of our State

As I pluck them off my Aged Mental Vine,
Fresh Times Past Taste Like Wine

Offlineshroomologist
Re: Terrarium control system [Re: Humidity]
    #1272538 - 02/03/03 03:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

humidity, thats what i was gonna design pretty much

but instead of dip switches (needs 1 line per switch) i could just use a potentiometer into an a/d converter, and match the voltage of the temp to the voltage on the pot, and if its out of range (doesn't match pot) adjust the temp accordingly. Same with the humidity.

for now, we're starting off with the original design, making a few, seeing how much interest there is.

and Gthirteens
We don't have cost, but our goal is for under $50. The size doesn't matter, you set the settings that work best with your chamber. We don't do that adjusting. You see what temp and humidity works best with your setup, and set the devices software timer keep those settings.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Terrarium control system *DELETED* [Re: cyankid]
    #1272827 - 02/03/03 06:30 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinecyankid
    #1273719 - 02/03/03 10:35 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Shit, that 25 foot limit might, well, limit me. Guess I'll have to move the computer. Or maybe I can get an old junk laptop. Any software hardware req's? Count me in, as long as it's under 100 bucks or so for temp/Rh, I'm in.

cyankid

Offlinejorneyer
Stranger

Re: Terrarium control system [Re: Anno]
    #1572539 - 05/23/03 05:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

is this thread still active? How goes the design battle? I found a linear humidity sensor with DIGITAL output that might work for this. I could probly put it all together if you are going to do a batch purchase but I cannot burn PICs. BTW I would love to log my CO2 levels.

Edited by jorneyer (05/23/03 05:27 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale