Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
nicotiana rustica
    #17997586 -

So I had ordered a couple bundles of nicotiana rustica. I was just wondering if the dust on the leaves was normal, smokable or if and how one should clean the leaf. Its pretty harsh at the moment and super dry. Looking for a little guidance on the use of this stuff. Im super new to the raw tobacco bundle scene. I realize that its powerful stuff, with more nicotine than other stains of tobacco, any tips on using, or smoking it would be appreciated. Thanks to the community for any suggestions.
-Much Appreciated
-Kahijra

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: Kahijra]
    #17997637 -

No experience with it, other than be careful with how much you smoke since it is supposed to be very potent and I did get some tobacco leaves one time hanged them, didn't really cure them and they were harsh as fuck.

Need to look up curing tobacco methods, I'd follow that method and cure it for a very long time, to help with the harshness.

Would've probably have been better if you started off with fresh leaves.

With good cured leaves you could maybe substitute normal ways of getting nicotine with less smoke, maybe.


--------------------
:likeaboss:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: EthnoGrower]
    #17997643 -

Thanks EthnoGrower. Good to know Im not alone on the harsh front.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: Kahijra]
    #17997650 -

Kahijra said:
Thanks EthnoGrower. Good to know Im not alone on the harsh front.




I added more to it, a water cure would most likely extract nicotine but would take off whatever "dust" is on them if it isn't normal stuff on the leaves. Would've been better with water curing fresh leaves.

I really doubt any tobacco plants are water cured, from what I think I've read before tobacco is cured in barns using some kind of methods.

If it were possible to somehow gauge nicotine levels, this plant would probably also be more ideal for making extractions for the ecig liquids I would think also. (For homemade stuff, just takes less leaves,less plants, and shouldn't be that hard if you had some way to measure the final results).


I forget the name of the tobacco but the tobacco that comes wet is some good shit and is a curing method (well by good I mean can be very flavorful, so that could possibly be a good way of curing this type of tobacco). The type I got was kind of weak, so being rustica could help.


--------------------
:likeaboss:

Edited by EthnoGrower (03/23/13 01:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: EthnoGrower]
    #17997662 -

I'll look into water curing. And Im sure you are right. Growing and curing my own tobacco would be ideal. Unfortunately I am currently in a state of housing flux and growing my own tobacco is not feasible for the foreseeable future. Non-the-less your suggestions are, of course appreciated. And I thank you for the time you have put into your responses.

Edited by Kahijra (03/23/13 01:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: Kahijra]
    #17997665 -

Kahijra said:
I'll lock into water curing. And Im sure you are right. Growing and curing my own tobacco would be ideal. Unfortunately I am currently in a state of housing flux and growing my own tobacco is not feasible for the foreseeable future. Non-the-less your suggestions are, of course appreciated. And I thank you for the time you have put into your responses.




Pretty sure people have soaked leaves in water and it extracts the nicotine though, for plant pesticides and stuff, not sure if they were heating it or if it is just that water soluble.

I wouldn't water cure the entire batch, maybe give it a test run first.


--------------------
:likeaboss:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: EthnoGrower]
    #17997928 -

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9728067#9728067
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10297215/fpart/1/vc/1
Teotzlcoatl said:
how did you cure it?


Try this...


1)~Fresh Nicotiana spp. leaf is picked and placed on a cedar (or other hardwood) rack covered by a tarp/plastic and left to sweat for 7 days in the sun.
2)~After 7 days have passed the leafs are removed from the rack and steamed over boiling water for 7 minutes.
3)~Honey and Vanilla extract are added.
4)~After flavoring is added the leafs are hung next to a hardwood fire to be smoked for 7 hours.
5)~ When the smoking is complete remove veins and long cut the leaf then place it into an air-tight container to age for 7 days.
6)~ After the ageing is complete remove from container and sun dry for 7 more days.
7)~ The Tobacco is now cured and ready to smoke.



I haven't tried any of these, but I plan to try them all once my baby Rusticas grow up. As to your problem with not having a place to grow, just wear a backpack everywhere with a large pot in it to grow plants.

Edit: Don't try to put it in your mouth, either. It doesn't seem very safe to chew it.

Edited by Uneak (03/23/13 06:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: Uneak]
    #18000757 -

I'd mist with water till run off then hang in cupboard for a week or two and mist again every time they get dry, that should help with the harshness.

I like to mist them then place in a jar and put in direct sunlight and let them sweat also.

I'd just smoke it in a pipe and only have one hit, and use it to relax before a trip or something like that


--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: Juke Adro]
    #18004121 -

Menoa, those threads were quite enlightening, thank you. Jake Andro, the misting seems like an excellent idea. I have since found that by mixing it in with a pipe tobacco has helped control the moisture and helped mitigate the dust. Made the Rustica less harsh and helped out the other tobacco give a little extra kick. Thank you all for your advice and responses. I really appreciate it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: nicotiana rustica [Re: Kahijra]
    #18005299 -

I prefer the full on submerged in water, they dry fast after the cure anyways.


Any fertilizer water soluble in there? Gone.

Did they spray the leaves with fertilizer? Gone.

Water also extracts some of the other stuff out of the plant, I think chlorophyll was one but not sure. It was something like that the stuff stays green though so probably not the chlorophyll.

Dust or any other dirt or anything would also be gone.

I noticed all kinds of small hairs and shit that shouldn't have been on the plant dustlike stuff floating in the bottom of the water sometimes.

All my water cures have ended in some pretty smooth stuff, but only cured the other plant. It's like a purge is how I see it.


--------------------
:likeaboss:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Fresh picked Nicotiana Rustica leaves
( 1 2 all )
KerbouchardS 5,177 28 07/21/21 07:26 PM
by MadMuncher
* Nicotiana rustica Drying and Curing.. How?
( 1 2 all )
EffedS 16,172 25 10/20/03 12:36 PM
by Azmodeus
* Extracting nicotine. Baby_Hitler 1,421 10 09/17/03 01:48 PM
by felixhigh
* Hybrid Nicotiana rustica and N. tabacum
( 1 2 all )
Teotzlcoatl 5,555 21 07/24/07 12:33 PM
by Teotzlcoatl
* Nicotiana rustica KerbouchardS 2,868 10 06/16/06 06:12 PM
by ngnyus
* Nicotiana rustica my plants storey Anonymous 2,270 5 03/19/04 08:41 AM
by HarveyWalbanger
* Nicotiana rustica kaiowas 1,837 17 05/07/04 11:46 PM
by mr_minds_eye
* some ?'s about Nicotiana rustica StonedPhilosophr 2,146 14 05/31/07 07:20 PM
by cpw1971

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,362 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.