Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBabble
Stranger
*sings* In an English country woodland
    #1735201 - 07/21/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Just got an (admittedly very cheap) digicam and decided to go for a walk in the woods to try it out, thought I'd show you all some of the more interesting shots.  I only really bought the camera as a "proof of concept" - I've never really been a camera/photo person, so I didn't want to splash out megabucks on a good camera.  I'm going to see how much use I get out of this crappy one and then maybe upgrade later.  Suffice to say, you get what you pay for, so focusing is a bit hit and miss - but when it's in focus and there's sufficient light it can take some great shots.  So, it was a sunny afternoon, hadn't rained for a while and I wasn't expecting to find much, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Nothing too out of the ordinary, as you'd expect all of the species I found were growing on dead wood.

I don't have any sort of field guide or means of identifying any of these, so I'm very interested in any guesses.

These looked really wierd, very woody looking and brown.  One or two of them had been munched by slugs, and were vivid white inside.  They were between 2-6cm tall:

These are some sort of brackets, obviously.  The large one is about 20cm across, and they were covered in flies:

These were quite numerous, and very thin:

I also saw some absolutely beatiful bright red fungi coming out of the side of a rotting trunk.  Very small max 1cm tall in clusters of 4/5, looked just like tiny little flames coming out of the trunk.  I got a couple of shots of them, but unfortunately it was in a really shady bit of the wood so neither of them came out :frown:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: *sings* In an English country woodland [Re: Babble]
    #1735390 - 07/21/03 05:11 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

For a crude camera those aren't bad photos. I'd like to see what you could manage with a decent camera!

The first one looks like Xylaria polymorpha, although a side view would help with identification.

The second one looks like Polyporus squamosus. A view of the underside would help to confirm that ID.

The last ones look similar to Trametes versicolor.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification