Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDegot846
marshmallow pie

Loc: Sofl
Woodland Shrooming
    #2969391 - 08/05/04 08:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

If I were to walk around my local south east forest preserve what kind of fungus could I expect to find, I'm not holding out much hope just wanna know if theres anything worth looking for active, or edible. I dont really care about active or not, but cant say i would mind finding any. Thanks in advance

--------------------
-Tom

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Woodland Shrooming [Re: Degot846]
    #2969663 - 08/05/04 09:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hell I am feeling kind and bored so instead of telling you to go find it since you damn well could- here's a quick shakedown- I'm always in SE forests and some species I find with great constancy:
Active: Gymnopilus spectabilis
Amanita Muscaria var. Formosa
Edible: Craterellus Odoratus
Craterellus fallax
Boletus Edulus
Boletus subtomentosus
Lepiota Procera

And because I'm tired of boring technicalities- honey mushrooms, morels, old man of the woods, chicken mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, corals, puffballs, russulas, oh fucking hell- go and get you some before I get them all. I already have a handle on the chantrelles, wait till I eat up all the rest. As for actives, which I can assume I'm sure you are most interested in, in forests you will find (if you're real clever) gyms or (if you're real brave) yellow amanita muscarias. Keep it real and do some research- this post was brobably just amiably tolerated by the mods.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #2969678 - 08/05/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

keep in mind that amanitas and psilocybin mushrooms are very diffrent

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlineshroomaster
journeyman
    #2969894 - 08/05/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

if you get in some woods adjacent to a cow field you're almost certain to find some P. cubensis. Especially right now during the hottest part of the fucking summer down here. I'm not finding hardly any in the fields. tree lines/fences and forested areas butted up next to fields seem to be exploding right now. it's also a great way to avoid getting caught and you can explore in the middle of the day not the middle of the damn night-much more effective and efficient. good luck.

OfflineDegot846
marshmallow pie

Re: Woodland Shrooming [Re: superblingtheory]
    #2969931 - 08/05/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well since theres no pastures around me that I'm aware of, I figured having a any sort of clue as to what to look for in forests would be experiance in picking and proper IDing. I really couldnt care less if theyre active, because I like a good mushroom as much as the next guy.

Besides I'm goin to college soon and I doubt I'll have any trouble finding actives in orlando.

Thanks for the help

P.S: I dont see why this post was "amiably tolerated" its not as if I made an ID request with little info, or asked where to find mushrooms.

--------------------
-Tom

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

#2971506 - 08/06/04 11:55 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Degot846 said:

Thanks for the help

P.S: I dont see why this post was "amiably tolerated" its not as if I made an ID request with little info, or asked where to find mushrooms.

Because you could easily find this information on google and questions you can find the answers to (easilly) yourself are not normally tolerated/answered here. Read the rules/stickies. It's not indeed that you made a request for an ID but the info was available on the net so that qualifies for amiable tolerated. Oh for fucks sake. I don't even know why I'm defending this carved in stone principle. Get a book- take a look- I learned that in the first grade. Here- I'll restate your question, minus a few words- "What mushrooms grow in the SE?" And so one would ask- can I answer this wihtout someone telling me and handing info to me on a platter? -Yes- indeed. I hate to be so direct but your lack of respect for the said principles demands it. And I was being nice answering such a lazy daisy post to begin with. Peace, nap time bear.

--------------------

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

#2971516 - 08/06/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

And yes I think you'll do fine in Orlando. Good luck in fact- it's booming just outside there. Get there quick- the REAL flush is about to begin!!!

--------------------

OfflineDegot846
marshmallow pie

#2972233 - 08/06/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry, most of what google would yeild in a search like that are all actives that are found the in the SE, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find too many actives in a forest, at least not psilocybin

--------------------
-Tom

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2975561 - 08/07/04 04:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

that issue is easily resolved by adding "edible" to your search. do *NOT* criticise the members here for asking you to comply with the rules, especialy when they are also answering your questions for you.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification