Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Extremely simple "casing" tek... ??
    #17050 - 05/14/00 10:12 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Those are my thoughts, except the perlite part. Just use plain vermiculite and go ahead and sterilize it first. I'm no expert on this matter though. My friend is lazy, once the verm layer is partially colonized he just dumps the rest off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#17051 - 05/15/00 01:56 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

put the casing in cups as in SOS tek style. Allows room for more error, and you can try different adjustments with different cups down the road.

Offlinecactus
journeyman
    #17052 - 05/15/00 02:22 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

dj:

My reason for not using a casing method like the SOS was to try to avoid contamination as much as possible... although, you're right, if you cut those 1/2 pint cakes in half and case each 1/4 pint portion in its own plastic "beer keg" cup, if a bunch of them go bad, I guess you're still well off...

I just thought that simply placing a PF cake on wet vermiculite would reduce chances of contamination, compared to the SOS casing tek...

BUT... since we're on the subject of SOS casing... what tips would you give to reduce chances of contamination? I've read that a bottom layer of perlite instead ofvermiculite might help... I've also read that using plain, damp vermiculite for the top layer (as opposed to Jiffy Mix or peat moss and the like) also reduces contamination chances. What are your thoughts on this?

thanks
m

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #17054 - 05/14/00 10:53 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Cactus, why don't you try the PF double ended casing tek (it's on the PF website, just scroll down the main page). It's basically the same thing as what you intend to try, only you also put a very fine layer of moist (and sterilized) vermiculite on top of your cakes as well. I tried this on my first successful batch, and they yielded OK.

Offlinecactus
journeyman
    #17055 - 05/15/00 01:33 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

aldous:

Thanks for the advice on the PF double-ended casing tek... actually, for my first batch (the time is fast approaching) I plan on doing the following:

1. Innoculate 16 jars with two full syringes of PF MR. That's one syringe for every 8 jars, a little less than what PF Tek specifies, but hopefully colonization will be speeded up a little bit...

2. I'm hoping to get at least 10 jars out of the original 16 that aren't lost to contamination. So... out of those ten...

3. Birth 6 following the straigh PF Tek, and let the cakes start fruiting in a perlite-humidified terrarium.

4. Cut the other 4 cakes in half, and use 8 opaque plastic "beer keg" style Solo cups to case each one of these portions separately.
5. On half of these cups I'll just use plain, damp vermiculite on the top and bottom.

6. On the other half, I'll use vermiculite on the bottom, and Jiffy Mix (or some other 50/50 type casing, perhaps Ryches 50/50+) on the top.

When the regular PF cakes finish their first flush, I'll try the PF double-ended tek on some, and try the drill-hole / straw tek on a couple as well.

Hopefully this way, I'll get to experiment as much as possible on my first attempt...

take care
c

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #17056 - 05/15/00 04:01 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

This makes you cover about the whole scope, at least for a beginner. That's the way to go, my boy! Experiments galore... Do keep us informed about the results.

Anonymous

#17057 - 05/15/00 05:23 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

don't forget to take some spore prints!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #17058 - 05/16/00 05:01 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

And clone some fruitbodies on peroxide agar, very easy. I'd say it's the next step for an experimenting beginner like yourself. Search for placebo's peroxide agar post.

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures