Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16989861 -

PDU said:
Yeah, the repair side of things is an issue - there's a few specialty mechanics that work mostly on Delica's and japanese imports here in Vancouver, but they thin out across the country.

School busses aren't an option - i am looking for a daily driver.



School busses are driven daily, what's the main detriment to driving one? Sure its big (full size, I personally want a 7 window 4x4), maybe not ideal for cities but to have a truly mobile home is bitchin to me. Id consider living in mine once I finish it.

Of course what you refer to is probably fuel costs I shall assume. It would alter the way you can travel to an extent but waste vegetable oil used by restaurants to fry is in no short supply and from what I gather more often than not it can be obtained free of charge. You need to filter it, but besides some relatively minor additions to the motor there's nothing else in the way.

At around 10-15 mpg for veg oil or diesel it doesn't sound great, but the only time you need regular diesel is to start (veg oil not too good in a cold motor) and before you stop, to clear the fuel lines. (Veg oil also will gunk it up if left cold too long, hence some additional plumbing and a pump to choose between tanks).

As opposed to 20 or so mpg petrol, which you'd be purchasing every drop.

I think its a cool lifestyle whichever way you go about it however, good luck.


--------------------
External control, are you gonna let them get you?
Do you wanna be a prisoner in the boundaries they set you?
You say you want to be yourself, do you think they'll let you?
They're out to get you.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: Hobbs]
    #16990131 -

Why has no one mentioned the Synchro?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: Hobbs]
    #16990711 -

Hobbs said:
PDU said:
Yeah, the repair side of things is an issue - there's a few specialty mechanics that work mostly on Delica's and japanese imports here in Vancouver, but they thin out across the country.

School busses aren't an option - i am looking for a daily driver.



School busses are driven daily, what's the main detriment to driving one? Sure its big (full size, I personally want a 7 window 4x4), maybe not ideal for cities but to have a truly mobile home is bitchin to me. Id consider living in mine once I finish it.

Of course what you refer to is probably fuel costs I shall assume. It would alter the way you can travel to an extent but waste vegetable oil used by restaurants to fry is in no short supply and from what I gather more often than not it can be obtained free of charge. You need to filter it, but besides some relatively minor additions to the motor there's nothing else in the way.

At around 10-15 mpg for veg oil or diesel it doesn't sound great, but the only time you need regular diesel is to start (veg oil not too good in a cold motor) and before you stop, to clear the fuel lines. (Veg oil also will gunk it up if left cold too long, hence some additional plumbing and a pump to choose between tanks).

As opposed to 20 or so mpg petrol, which you'd be purchasing every drop.

I think its a cool lifestyle whichever way you go about it however, good luck.




Preaching to the choir Hobbs - i am well versed (or at least familiar enough) with veggie oil production/use. Infact it is common to do run Delica's on WVO.

You are missing the point though - i want a daily driver (to and from work, and to go camping and road tripping in) NOT a MOBILE HOME.

A school bus isn't an option and is of no interest to me at this point, i don't see why your trying to push the point.

The point is:

"Has anyone ever owned a pop top camper van and found that they loved it or hated it? Was the added expense worth it? What kind of traveling did you do in it? What about the reliability of japanese imports/parts accessibility, etc? What about driving a RHD? What about the legality of RHD's and their future in North America? Would you choose diesel, gas or other..."

(WVO is not of interest to me at this point.)

The moreover, the point being:

"Has anyone said "fuck it" and commited a fair bit of cash towards something like this knowing it is not the most responsible financial decision? Just taken a leap of faith and opting in to dive head first into something which provides a radical change to their current lifestyle and would let them live their dreams a little bit more... at a fairly steep cost. What was that decision like - to make a self indulgent decision rather than the responsible one?"

And continuing on:

"what about the future of fuel costs? Do you think its now or never to take a summer and drive across country because it'll be the last time it's affordable to do so?"

(Living in a vehicle is besides the point - nor am i considering alternative vehicles. I see where your coming from, but it is off topic!)


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16990741 -

Not to mention that school busses are shitty offroad!


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16991475 -

I have a 95 minivan that the seats just popped out of. I can fit one of those coleman twin mattresses in the back of it perfectly and it is the ultimate camping (no frills) vehicle! 95 plymouth town and country. I also have an easy up pop up 10X10 tent that sits right at the tail end of the van. I can have this up, and an area right outside with the back door fully up while under the tent. It has four zip on walls to block wind and rain too. It was very cool. I used it a Bonaroo in 2005. All the tents around me woke up to soaking wet sleeping bags and wet stuff. I was dry and so high the whole time. :grin:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16991787 -

I see, I guess I missed where you would be using the vehicle for commuting and road tripping - and not primarily road tripping, which I thought the intent was. You said you don't even drive your tercel so I must have assumed rather than read. And since you said avoid hotel costs and the such, I didn't expect you'd be living in your vehicle of choice, I did make the assumption you'd be spending at least a few nights in it.

I also figured you'd be off road, but on (semi) established trails, since a van is still pretty large and center of gravity quite high if lifted and outfitted with off road tires/suspension for crawling over obstacles.

Only point I was trying to make was the bus conv could do all the stuff you listed more or less, plus provide additional amenities. I mean, those VW Vanagon's are the same concept in a smaller footprint and as such, seemed more or less on topic.

Alas, I suppose not.


--------------------
External control, are you gonna let them get you?
Do you wanna be a prisoner in the boundaries they set you?
You say you want to be yourself, do you think they'll let you?
They're out to get you.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: Hobbs]
    #16993610 -

Aha, good retort. No worries, no harm done.

I do like the vanagons, but they are considerably more expensive, and less badass.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16993874 -

I wouldn't want one as a primary vehicle, but as a 2nd vehicle it would be tits. Or if you live in an area with good public transport I could see having it as primary vehicle, but roadtrips would be an expensive bitch.


--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #16994152 -

Yes!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: plektheplek]
    #17001983 -

plektheplek said:
Yes!



?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Bio-Diesel & 4x4 questions Tomatadunothing 1,615 11 04/01/05 01:00 PM
by Tomatadunothing
* Need advice on 4x4 trucks kanglow 523 8 11/29/09 10:04 PM
by WakeboardrB
* vehicle decision
( 1 2 3 all )
Pilz 3,077 46 02/24/11 07:25 PM
by frith
* ...1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 $6,995... LayYouIn 1,640 14 01/01/08 06:11 AM
by monkeyheaven
* Who here drives an Electric Vehicle or a Fuel Efficient Vehicle?
( 1 2 all )
LayYouIn 2,491 32 06/07/08 01:23 PM
by ReposadoXochipilli
* Recommend me a great vehicle at or under 10,000
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Enigma of Ankou 3,401 70 12/17/10 04:43 PM
by nice1
* Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts?
( 1 2 all )
SprewellSleeve 2,371 25 12/30/12 08:06 AM
by kr0nik0
* so I have a 4X4 and a tow strap, its snowing, UPDATE w/ pics :) towed lots of people and made some $
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 1,585 44 11/29/09 06:29 PM
by Dionili

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,070 topic views. 5 members, 9 guests and 98 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.