Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? * 1
    #16973580 -

I've come to a realization that i should buy a campervan because it would greatly enhance my life.

It's strange, i've been obsessed with Mitsubishi Delica's ever since i first started seeing them at festivals in the early 2000's. I really wanted one a couple years ago, and have now saved enough money to buy one cash, but i talked myself out of it because of rising fuel prices.

It hit me like a brick in the head the other day - i need an all terrain vehicle which i can live in for a few days at a time. I want to festival and NOT stay in a tent. I want to road trip and NOT stay in a tent. I want to go to bike races, and running events and trips to the states and not worry about setting up a tent or getting a room...

Having a van would give me the freedom to do the things i need to do, to be happy.

I have a toyota tercel right now - it's super uncomfortable, incapable of offroading, and scary to drive in the winter + really shitty for road tripping. I insure it, but never drive it... it's a waste of money, but cheap on gas. Nice to have around for a few trips a year, and shopping at costco...

My only hangup is that the Delica is fairly fuel inefficient maybe 15k per litre or so (diesel)... It would probably be about 30-40% more expensive in fuel than my car... But it would be bad ass.

I could afford it, but it would eat into the money i contribute to savings ... and i can't guarantee that I will be at the same wage for more than another year.. Might even go back to school...

It seems like the kind of thing i want to buy, enjoy, maybe drive across canada or down to mexico, do some back roading and road tripping and then maybe reevaluate when my lifestyle changes a couple years down the road, and sell it if need be. Diesels seem to stay in demand, or i could always convert to run on veggie oil if cost is an issue... I feel like i've sacrificed alot to work and save money for the past years and that this would be a nice reward.

(i am thinking i would save my current "nest egg" and save over the next 8 months to get the money together for the van. Something to work towards, while preserving my modest savings.)

What do you guys think?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16973794 -

Bro Im having the same dilemma right now. I have a nice 4x4 Jeep Cherokee with a new motor and transmission, body is in perfect condition. I was thinking about making it more off road capable by throwing on a winch/arb bumper, 6" suspension lift and throw on some 33" BFG all terrains. Get a camper and throw it on the back. FUCK A TENT. I want to have some sort of RV or camper to chill in when Im hanging out at a fest.

Ive seen those Delica's lifted, always wondered who made them. What is the interior like? I might look into getting one of those if the price is right. How much are they going for?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: plasma]
    #16974818 -

I am stuck in the city and would DIE to get out to some 4x4 access only hot springs, lakes or trail heads ... my soul craves some time in the remote mountain and i've had none of it the past couple years.

The delica's run $8000-10,000 cdn, or about $13,500 with a pop top. There is a wide variety of styles but primarily the choice is between the older boxier ones or the newer mini van looking ones. They come with 7 or 8 seats, but alot of people camperize them, although the seats can often fold over into a bed. Super spacious, RHD, gas or diesel ...

Thing is they are RHD, so the sliding door is on the wrong side, meaning your passengers would bail onto the street. Here in Canada they have to be 15 years old to be imported, so we get 98's at the newest, i would be looking at a 94 or 96 probably - so its a fairly high price to pay for an older used vehicle. They come with low miles due to expensive road tolls in Japan, but it is accepted that the importers often roll back the odometer, so you might not necessarily know what your getting if you import. If you don't buy from an importer you might have to make some changes in accordance with DOT regulations (lights, tires, breaks, etc.)...

It's not quite as easy as buying a domestic vehicle - but i think it's probably worth it.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16976254 -

VW Westfalia

/thread


--------------------


Broken heart don't feel so bad
You ain't got half of what you thought you had
Rock you baby to and fro
Not too fast and not too slow

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: LySergic D]
    #16976292 -

I spent months in one of those. My parents bought a new one in Luxemburg and we toured Europe and Morocco back when I was 15 (1972). That thing was 4 cylinders with TWO carburetors... . . . :peace:


--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: vinsue]
    #16976342 -

We don't have those Delica's in the States.  In the States a Vehicle has to be 25 years old before you can bring it in.

But some states allow for smaller axle vehicle to be imported for Farm Use if they aren't too big.

A lot of rednecks have started doing just that so they don't have to fill up there Duellie Wagons as much.


--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: vinsue]
    #16976343 -

vinsue said:
I spent months in one of those. My parents bought a new one in Luxemburg and we toured Europe and Morocco back when I was 15 (1972). That thing was 4 cylinders with TWO carburetors... . . . :peace:



And we all have known about the VW Bus since forever.


--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: Its Pat]
    #16976383 -

It certainly sounds like a good plan to me but if I was considering ever buying myself a campervan, there would only be one choice, and one choice only. It would have to be an old Volkswagen campervan. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to save some cash together and go travelling throughout Europe for a few weeks with one. I can't think of anything more fun.



Unfortunately though, these aren't reliable and their certainly not all terrain vehicles so I can't imagine they fit the bill for what you're looking for. But either way, each to their own!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: gENERIX]
    #16979432 -

So what about the cost of fuel rising?

I think now might be sort of the last chance to do any extended road trips before things get totally unaffordable.

Anyone ever buy something like this and then not use it as much as they thought they would?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16979477 -

My cousin went the route of getting a compact pickup truck with a box (I think it's a Mazda) and just setting up a crash spot in the back. Not a huge amount of space for gear but I think it's pretty decent on gas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: psi]
    #16979656 -



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: teamkiller]
    #16979705 -

That's a bit more camper friendly than my jetta wagon...:thumbup: . . . :peace:


--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: vinsue]
    #16983006 -

bump.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16983156 -

I have a similar idea, but instead of a van I want to convert a shortbus into an RV motorhome. You can then pretty easily convert it to biodiesel which burns at about the same efficency as regular diesel. I'm still accruing some of the skills neccesary to do it all the work. You can check out a rad full size conversion at http://www.vonslatt.com/


--------------------
External control, are you gonna let them get you?
Do you wanna be a prisoner in the boundaries they set you?
You say you want to be yourself, do you think they'll let you?
They're out to get you.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: Hobbs]
    #16983199 -

Yeah, from what I understand you can get used school buses quite cheap. Not sure about the small ones but I've heard of the big ones going for something like $800 if I remember right. Tree planting companies use them for transport and as kitchens.

The Mitsubishi van the OP wanted looks cool, but it seems like repairs could be a hassle for a vehicle that almost nobody else here has.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: psi]
    #16983222 -

Yeah, the repair side of things is an issue - there's a few specialty mechanics that work mostly on Delica's and japanese imports here in Vancouver, but they thin out across the country.

School busses aren't an option - i am looking for a daily driver.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: PDU]
    #16983330 -

doubleback vw is :vaped:


--------------------
★★★ ★

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: the human abstract]
    #16983415 -

if you're looking for 4x4 and want to live in it, make sure you have a secure vehicle
just go ahead and get one of these


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: plasma]
    #16983729 -

That marauder is tough as shit but honestly unless they took out the seats not that good of a camping vehicle.  They can leave the guns though I wonder if they come with the vehicle old old jeeps used to Im pretty sure.

Anyway if you want a good cheap 4x4 van I think a early 2000s Ford econoline would be a good choice.  It doesnt have the distinct look the others ones have but it would definitely do the job and they have a lot of space in them.  Also you could probably get one at an auction pretty cheap cause goverments and other businesses use them but they also do good routine maintenance usually.  Just a suggestion also if you would wanna lift it you could do a 2-3in lift you could fit 33s maybe even 35s if you wanted.


--------------------
Bustin caps like Eastwood on crack!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Should i buy a 4x4 campervan? [Re: bangpowboomers]
    #16984024 -

bangpowboomers said:
That marauder is tough as shit but honestly unless they took out the seats not that good of a camping vehicle.  They can leave the guns though I wonder if they come with the vehicle old old jeeps used to Im pretty sure.

Anyway if you want a good cheap 4x4 van I think a early 2000s Ford econoline would be a good choice. 



I have a 2010 for work, and it does have a lot of space. Low roof though and expensive on gas.

Always did want one though, even when i was a kid.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Bio-Diesel & 4x4 questions Tomatadunothing 1,615 11 04/01/05 01:00 PM
by Tomatadunothing
* Need advice on 4x4 trucks kanglow 523 8 11/29/09 10:04 PM
by WakeboardrB
* vehicle decision
( 1 2 3 all )
Pilz 3,077 46 02/24/11 07:25 PM
by frith
* ...1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 $6,995... LayYouIn 1,640 14 01/01/08 06:11 AM
by monkeyheaven
* Who here drives an Electric Vehicle or a Fuel Efficient Vehicle?
( 1 2 all )
LayYouIn 2,491 32 06/07/08 01:23 PM
by ReposadoXochipilli
* Recommend me a great vehicle at or under 10,000
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Enigma of Ankou 3,401 70 12/17/10 04:43 PM
by nice1
* Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts?
( 1 2 all )
SprewellSleeve 2,371 25 12/30/12 08:06 AM
by kr0nik0
* so I have a 4X4 and a tow strap, its snowing, UPDATE w/ pics :) towed lots of people and made some $
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 1,585 44 11/29/09 06:29 PM
by Dionili

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,070 topic views. 9 members, 22 guests and 193 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.