Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16832627 -

I'm not in a corporate job anymore, but I enjoyed it when I was.  I operate a small business now and I don't know what ya'll are saying about overtime but owning a small business is MUCH more overtime than a corporate job.  When I worked in corporate America you bet your ass I was out of there in 8.5 hours.  That's all I'm getting paid for, "all my shit is done and I got shit to do back home, peace".  Can't really do that now.

The pay was awesome, although the pay from my small business is even more awesome so I can't really give that one to corporate jobs.

I liked wearing a suit everyday, I look good in one.  I like driving my nice car, I'm kind of a car guy.  New girls in the office were always awesome.  I liked going to lunch meetings, happy hour, parties both in and out of the office.  Getting toasted with coworkers and having my drunk bosses tell us fucked up stories.  Putting everything on the expense account (or getting the execs to put it on theirs, depending on your position). 

In my experience, corporate jobs are much more socially interactive than a lot of other jobs.  And in the end, that's what I like.  I mean, I meet a lot of people owning a business but I feel as if I have to constantly look out for #1...to keep my company going strong.  Thinking am I gonna have enough money to pay people, to expand...everything you say about possessions in your personal life happens at the small business owner level, so it's like double.  It's all for business. 

I never had to worry about business in my corporate job, that's the big-wigs job.  I just had to worry about doing my job...getting paid an exorbitant amount of money compared to the amount of work that is required of you.  I don't know, maybe it's just the type of person I am and how I worked it...but corporate America can be a good deal.


--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16835709 -

Anonymous said:
Also did you know its illegal in the US to live in a house under a certain size?



Source please.  I didnt know there were federal regulations regarding domestic dwelling measurements.  I thought that was a local- or state-level thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: memes]
    #16842376 -

meams said:
Anonymous said:
Also did you know its illegal in the US to live in a house under a certain size?



Source please.  I didnt know there were federal regulations regarding domestic dwelling measurements.  I thought that was a local- or state-level thing.



It is not a federal thing, it is a state/local level thing but a majority of towns have these in place.

The point of me saying it the way I did is it seems absurd that there are any regulations like this in the first place. Why should there be enforced rules dictating the size of your house? Are you forced to buy a big cadillac instead of a small honda in the name of safety? Towns get more property tax the bigger the house is and also banks/builders get a bigger cut on bigger houses so they got it put into law. You can live in a 450 sq foot studio apartment but cant build a 450 sq foot house on the land that you purchased and own?

I learned about this while watching a documentary on tiny houses. In order to get around regulations they usually put their house on wheels so it can be classified as a trailer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #16842525 -

Mr. Bojangles said:
I'm not in a corporate job anymore, but I enjoyed it when I was.  I operate a small business now and I don't know what ya'll are saying about overtime but owning a small business is MUCH more overtime than a corporate job.  When I worked in corporate America you bet your ass I was out of there in 8.5 hours.  That's all I'm getting paid for, "all my shit is done and I got shit to do back home, peace".  Can't really do that now.

The pay was awesome, although the pay from my small business is even more awesome so I can't really give that one to corporate jobs.

I liked wearing a suit everyday, I look good in one.  I like driving my nice car, I'm kind of a car guy.  New girls in the office were always awesome.  I liked going to lunch meetings, happy hour, parties both in and out of the office.  Getting toasted with coworkers and having my drunk bosses tell us fucked up stories.  Putting everything on the expense account (or getting the execs to put it on theirs, depending on your position). 

In my experience, corporate jobs are much more socially interactive than a lot of other jobs.  And in the end, that's what I like.  I mean, I meet a lot of people owning a business but I feel as if I have to constantly look out for #1...to keep my company going strong.  Thinking am I gonna have enough money to pay people, to expand...everything you say about possessions in your personal life happens at the small business owner level, so it's like double.  It's all for business. 

I never had to worry about business in my corporate job, that's the big-wigs job.  I just had to worry about doing my job...getting paid an exorbitant amount of money compared to the amount of work that is required of you.  I don't know, maybe it's just the type of person I am and how I worked it...but corporate America can be a good deal.



See I am just miserable if I am not connected to the thing I spend 40-60 hours a week of my life on. Just 'doing what im supposed to do while the bosses worry about the big stuff' doesnt work in my brain. When you own your own company, you know every ounce of work you put into your business correlates to a more successful business. You get to reap the rewards of your work and it makes for a very fulfilling 40-60 hour week. 

If you work hard in a corporate environment, you just make more money for the higher ups. A lot of the time being a good worker isn't he first consideration in getting promoted (its social politics, who you know, how many ppl like you). If you work long hours at your business, you know you are building your business and it is something to be proud of. So to me, a 60 hour week in a corporate job vs 60 hours into your business is as different as day and night.

Also you sound like you had your corporate job pre 2008. Now a days you cant just leave when you feel like it because there are two dozen people who will gladly take your place because they are out of work. Also to my generation (people who graduated on or after 2008), getting paid exorbitant amount for minimal work is merely a fairy tale from past generations. In our work world, you work long hard hours and you start off basically at 30k you wont see that go up any time soon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16842686 -

Quote:
See I am just miserable if I am not connected to the thing I spend 40-60 hours a week of my life on. Just 'doing what im supposed to do while the bosses worry about the big stuff' doesnt work in my brain. When you own your own company, you know every ounce of work you put into your business correlates to a more successful business. You get to reap the rewards of your work and it makes for a very fulfilling 40-60 hour week.

If you work hard in a corporate environment, you just make more money for the higher ups.



As i explained I am not corporate - but this ^ is exactly what kills me, working so hard for my bosses, getting little recognition, and essentially working harder and keeping my own production quality and work ethics above those of my company.

I feel like i go beyond and above and my company just pillages it's own reputation by lacking quality control, policy, discipline and accountability.

Like i said, i am essentially a handy man - and I actually like doing what i do, but lord knows it would be immensely more fulfilled if i was working on my own.

Lord knows, i would be a hell of alot wealthier too.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: PDU]
    #16847380 -

I don't understand why anyone would want to build a 450' house unless the lot was super tiny or they only had a little bit of money to spend. Might be better to wait until they had more. Living in a tiny house is not going to be that much fun. Maybe you are just home right now to sleep and eat but your needs may change. Who is going to want to move in with you if its that tiny? Even 750' is small but more livable and when you go to sell it will not only be a lot easier to sell but will sell faster for more money. People always wish they had more room.


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16851368 -

Anonymous said:
Mr. Bojangles said:
I'm not in a corporate job anymore, but I enjoyed it when I was.  I operate a small business now and I don't know what ya'll are saying about overtime but owning a small business is MUCH more overtime than a corporate job.  When I worked in corporate America you bet your ass I was out of there in 8.5 hours.  That's all I'm getting paid for, "all my shit is done and I got shit to do back home, peace".  Can't really do that now.

The pay was awesome, although the pay from my small business is even more awesome so I can't really give that one to corporate jobs.

I liked wearing a suit everyday, I look good in one.  I like driving my nice car, I'm kind of a car guy.  New girls in the office were always awesome.  I liked going to lunch meetings, happy hour, parties both in and out of the office.  Getting toasted with coworkers and having my drunk bosses tell us fucked up stories.  Putting everything on the expense account (or getting the execs to put it on theirs, depending on your position). 

In my experience, corporate jobs are much more socially interactive than a lot of other jobs.  And in the end, that's what I like.  I mean, I meet a lot of people owning a business but I feel as if I have to constantly look out for #1...to keep my company going strong.  Thinking am I gonna have enough money to pay people, to expand...everything you say about possessions in your personal life happens at the small business owner level, so it's like double.  It's all for business. 

I never had to worry about business in my corporate job, that's the big-wigs job.  I just had to worry about doing my job...getting paid an exorbitant amount of money compared to the amount of work that is required of you.  I don't know, maybe it's just the type of person I am and how I worked it...but corporate America can be a good deal.



See I am just miserable if I am not connected to the thing I spend 40-60 hours a week of my life on. Just 'doing what im supposed to do while the bosses worry about the big stuff' doesnt work in my brain. When you own your own company, you know every ounce of work you put into your business correlates to a more successful business. You get to reap the rewards of your work and it makes for a very fulfilling 40-60 hour week. 

If you work hard in a corporate environment, you just make more money for the higher ups. A lot of the time being a good worker isn't he first consideration in getting promoted (its social politics, who you know, how many ppl like you). If you work long hours at your business, you know you are building your business and it is something to be proud of. So to me, a 60 hour week in a corporate job vs 60 hours into your business is as different as day and night.

Also you sound like you had your corporate job pre 2008. Now a days you cant just leave when you feel like it because there are two dozen people who will gladly take your place because they are out of work. Also to my generation (people who graduated on or after 2008), getting paid exorbitant amount for minimal work is merely a fairy tale from past generations. In our work world, you work long hard hours and you start off basically at 30k you wont see that go up any time soon.



I left in 2010, the going was always good.  I didn't work in a finance/tech sector that got hit particularly hard.  Corporate consulting was the name of the game for me.  Business is good in up and down economies.  I just think it's all about choosing the place you work.  When you talk about no recognition and working for your bosses to get more money I didn't feel like that at all where I was.  I got recognition, I got to see fruits of my labors.  But then again, I liked, and participated in, the office politics so take that for what you will.  I realize that not all corporate jobs are like this, but that's why you apply to many different jobs.  Trust me, there were definitely places that were willing to hire me that sound exactly like you're describing and...fuck that. 

I mean I'm not really hurting now, but at least when I had my corporate job I knew that company was not going out of business (perhaps unfounded, but thinking like that is less stressful)...can't say the same now.  And I gladly welcomed some college brat to try and kick me out of my spot, because I knew that wasn't going to happen.  Not saying I don't like having my own business either, there's just some pros and cons to each side.


--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The corporate lifestyle just isn't worth the cost [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #16852370 -

Corporations are run very lean and have gutted a lot of middle management positions that were essential for getting into senior management in the 70's and 80's. So, in all likely hood you will fester in a rather dismal job. Dead end. Avoid administrative jobs. Get into commission sales or similar where you are rewarded for long hours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 16 hours a day just isn't enough
( 1 2 all )
superpimp 5,851 26 03/12/03 09:38 PM
by enotake2
* is it worth it? BleaK 1,055 19 05/31/05 09:52 PM
by BleaK
* is life trully worth living?
( 1 2 all )
amyloid 3,196 22 01/20/04 03:26 AM
by Strumpling
* Got in a car wreck tak 2,052 11 02/05/04 07:58 PM
by MazzyStar
* My Dad JesusChrist 906 8 07/03/04 01:13 AM
by 40oz
* Catharsis: Good Drugs, Bad Drugs, getting my life in order Noviseer 2,173 8 05/08/04 09:52 PM
by Noviseer
* Libido problems Anonymous 3,148 19 10/10/03 06:38 AM
by gnrm23
* My parents.
( 1 2 all )
Ped 2,835 22 07/20/04 12:57 AM
by MOTH

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
2,105 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.