Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: jakeholman]
    #1458748 -


I visited 3 stores today with no success at all finding dessicant.  I was mostly lookin for silica gel.  I went to Wal-Mart and some hardware stores...

I'm in Canada.

Is there any canadian here that could give me a hint about where to find this thing?  I have my 4 big first grown ever bencusis potatoes here that are currently under a fan waiting for a better drying technique.

thx! :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: jakeholman]
    #1458819 -

Just tell them you have a closet that is quite musty, and damp.. and you're looking for something called drierite.. or something like that to dry it out..

When I said that, the guy was like "ohh!!!! Yea, right over here!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Jared]
    #1458850 -

LOL, thats classic man.

Stealing silica packets from shoeboxes. Thats like, almost worst than jacking the whole bowl of candy that has a sticky on the side that says "Honor System, 25 cents ea."

but, I dont give a shit if my shoes have those little annoying packets in them or not, so i say, steal away!

(this is why i have one mushroom under my name)

dmc,


--------------------
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23682 - Level 4

Edited by dmc_illz (04/14/03 10:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: dmc_illz]
    #1461870 -

lol thats funny as hell, at work we get trucks with big packets of silica gel that come with wicker baskets and instead of throwing them out i take 'em home, ill just cook 'em for awhile b4 i use them. sometimes the big ones come with boots too, but the little packets in most shoe box's would just be a waste of time heh.
ill use it provided i dont get that unheated food dehydrator.


--------------------
I was once a man I used to know
He changed into a man I have been
And became the man I am today

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Wizzang]
    #1466135 -

im canadian too fish, and since i couldnt find ANY real dessicant i started looking for replacements (i didnt want to order it off the net-living situation...hehe) and calcium chloride flakes work amazingly well.  just go buy the best looking ice melt in a revy/hardware/crappy tire store.  i actually asked the manager about finding calcium chloride bc i didnt even know what form it came it, and he actually knew that ice melt was made of calcium chloride, since its cheap and very easy to get, ill probly never look for drierite/damp rid again, (other than the clumping every day or two-under heavy load (hehe:grin:) anyone have any comments on that???  and what does damprid have the same problem with clumping?? some experience with it would be awesome-thanks.


--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: MrSleep]
    #1466168 -

It?s desiccant btw.

NOT dessicant. Nitpicking, I know, but I love doing it :wink: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Anno]
    #1466177 -

fair enough-i know what you mean anno. so does damp rid desiccant produce clumping?? im only interested in wether or not its worth the extra work to actually find desiccant north of the border, or just make do with ice melt.
much appreciated anno!!


--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Desiccants [Re: jakeholman]
    #1466196 -

I never had it in my hands, so I couldn?t tell.

Perhaps you find something useful here:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3337

and here.
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7913

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Desiccants [Re: Anno]
    #1466766 -

I tried the shoe packets of silica gel... Didn't work for me...
So I ate the mushrooms fresh, they were better anyway.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: jakeholman]
    #1467197 -

Quote:
so does damp rid desiccant produce clumping?? 




Never used Damp Rid, but I know someone who bought something called Dry Out (the longer lasting dehumidifier!) and it was basically a bunch of tiny white balls (imagine dippin dots) that clumped together as they did nothign to dry my friend's mushrooms.  A fan worked 10x better for me..... and got 'em so dry they made the plinko sound when they dropped :smile:
 


--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1467970 -

Quote:
I visited 3 stores today with no success at all finding dessicant.  I was mostly lookin for silica gel.  I went to Wal-Mart and some hardware stores...

I'm in Canada.

Is there any canadian here that could give me a hint about where to find this thing?  I have my 4 big first grown ever bencusis potatoes here that are currently under a fan waiting for a better drying technique.

thx! :laugh: 



like I said I've had 0 luck up here locating damp rid/damp out/damp gone....so just call around too some craft stores for silica gel...I haven't used it for mushies yet but I have tested it with fruit and bread...it seems too work great.....plus it dosen't clump and can be used forever...and if you get the indicating kind it will actually tell you when it needs to be recharged :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: ]
    #1468020 -

thanks for the link anno-didnt loot enough.


--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Anno]
    #1472565 -

Quote:
NOT dessicant. Nitpicking, I know, but I love doing it



this is why we would miss you if your gone to long....we would never know how to behave.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: ]
    #1472584 -

Quote:
I was unable too find damp rid or any other calcium chloride in my area



go to home depo the got it in the paint section. work great in you let the mush sit in front of a fan for a few hours


--------------------
If you cant beat them, join them, then beat them!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: jakeholman]
    #1472622 -

in a dire emergency....throw some rice in a pan in the oven, bake it at about 350 for 30 minutes, cover it with foil and allow it to cool for a bit, after it has cooled for a while, put you air dried mushrooms in via the same methods of using any comercial product....it does work, I have tried it and it's only slightly less evvective at the job....you will be pleasantly suprised

Prisoner#1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: MrSleep]
    #16630061 -

wal mart does sell a form of desiccant ask about closet dehumidifiers because that's what they are... although their calcium chloride and toxic they work...i prefer to go to the hardware store and get non toxic silica gel as well...but as long as you keep mushrooms physically away from the chloride you should be alright expect to spend around 4-5$



--------------------

Edited by Psycho Gas (08/01/12 07:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Psycho Gas]
    #16630543 -

If you don't have a Wal-Mart (or are scared to go there, like I am!), find your local Ace Hardware...they sell Damprid in all of them. 

Ace Hardware - Damp-Rid

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Queen of Kings]
    #16630604 -

Fucking necro-bumps.

Get a food dehydrator. Leave the heating element in. You'll have cracker-dry mushies in 8-12 hours with no loss of potency.


--------------------
Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Queen of Kings]
    #16630634 -

Necro-save FTW!


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Doc_T]
    #16630749 -

Sure, why not? I'll take part in this resurrection.

:derp:


--------------------
The Shaman

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* free dessicant DankLogic357 666 5 07/14/03 04:13 AM
by DankLogic357
* Drierite Alternatives tsimehc 1,869 4 03/09/05 12:16 PM
by nattyiceman
* microwavable dessicant? flatalbert 947 6 02/06/02 12:52 AM
by Anno
* Why fan dry before dessicant? PlowKing 1,968 8 07/18/01 07:01 PM
by auto59009
* Calcium cloride
( 1 2 all )
andrash 2,843 20 12/20/02 08:19 AM
by andrash
* Silica Gel DrD525 1,589 11 11/12/02 07:45 PM
by lvleph
* Epsom Salts as a dessicant? Viveka 4,325 8 10/28/02 05:41 PM
by Viveka
* Silica Gel as desiccant? Yarry 3,689 14 11/24/05 10:09 PM
by El_Flying_Mohawk

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,710 topic views. 18 members, 147 guests and 168 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 15 queries.