Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Free Dessicants
    #1455365 - 04/13/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, I'm sure someone has probably posted something similar to this before but I thought it's a decent idea. Just tonight I was in Wal-Mart and was thinking "Hmm, when I need to dry my mushrooms where am I going to buy dessicants?" so I went into the shoe isle and took all of the dessicant silica gel packets out of the boxes and put them in my pockets and walked out. I don't know if these will be good for drying, but I set up a small dessicant chamber and I'm testing it out with some fruits to see if it'll work. If it does I've found myself some free drying agents. Let me know if any of you have tried this or anything you may know about it.
-Mr.Sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: MrSleep]
    #1455366 - 04/13/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'd really like to know if that would work! I can imagine someone getting caught with a pound of shoe desiccant in their pocket.

:tongue:

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Oddish]
    #1455374 - 04/13/03 07:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

lol.. personally I'd rather shell out five bucks and buy a bottle of it instead of wasting my time going through countless shoes =P

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Oddish]
    #1455379 - 04/13/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

First of all, don't steal.
Second, Drierite is so cheap, why would you bother?
www.drierite.com
you can get 5 lbs for 17$...

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
    #1455469 - 04/13/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

uhhhh don't take the dessicant from shoes... they are put there for a reason you know. how would you feel if you bought a new pair of leather boots only to find that the leather was damaged from some bastard that stole the dessicants from them? most shoes will probably be all right, but still, some need them, so go BUY some instead.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: DinoMyc]
    #1455483 - 04/13/03 08:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

it might be cheap but it would be nice to be able to find some dessicant-drierite replacement-in a store. right now im using ice melt that is calcium chloride flakes. Now, this works amazingly well for taking out moisture, but if its a lot then it goes rock hard and it has to be mixed once a day or more to do any good, since i can't find an actual dessicant anywhere what OTHER replacements can i use??

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinephotovorix
retard
Loc: US
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #1455486 - 04/13/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

lol.. chill he didnt like, inject them with spores after he took out the dessicants, i hope... So the point is.... dont take the dessicant out of leather shoes, even though when someone buys them and wears them they are going to take it out and there will be more moisture in them than when they were on the store shelf... arent they just there to get rid of other peoples foot juice while they are waiting to be bought?

Anonymous

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: photovorix]
    #1455554 - 04/13/03 08:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

don't you spray leather shoes after you buy em too protect against moisture? I know I've done that too some shoes...anyways about the desiccant I got my indicating silica gel at a craft store...it was a lil pricey but since I can reuse it forever I'm not worried about the price

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: ]
    #1455885 - 04/13/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i tried some silica gel capsules (kitty litter with those little blue balls as indicators-sounds like the same as you got) and it cost me under 10 bucks for 4 L or so, but it was really slow taking moisture out compared to the calcium chloride, so what else is there?
Thanks in advance

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1456643 - 04/14/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Shell out the 4$ for some Damp-Rid. Availale at all *mart's.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

Anonymous

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1456951 - 04/14/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I was unable too find damp rid or any other calcium chloride in my area

Offlinefleshofgods
SpiritualVisionary
Loc: In a daze . . .
    #1457068 - 04/14/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yah do0d. the shit is cheap. just go to your local walgreens or mart and buy some damp rid like stupaod said. Do you really want to be the first moron to be banned from walmart for stealing dessicant from the shoe section. Also, chances are the dessicant packets in the shoes have been exposed to enough moisture to render them useless.

--------------------
Holler!

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: fleshofgods]
    #1457148 - 04/14/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

silica gel can be regenerated and reused, can't it?

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: the spiral]
    #1457695 - 04/14/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

where exactly in WalMart would one look. I canvased the entire store using vertical and horizontal grid paterns and came up with nothing.

what's all of the things that it can be used for so I'll have a better chance of finding it?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (04/14/03 04:43 PM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Free Dessicants [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1457731 - 04/14/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Walllmart doesn't usually carry dessicants. Try hardware and home improvement stores.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: z@z.com]
    #1458175 - 04/14/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I couldn't find it at hardware stores either...even home depot had no idea what I was talking about...and there was no way I was searching that whole store :smile:

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
    #1458323 - 04/14/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

TerrapinSunrise
<--I don't buy my shoes at Wal-Mart. So it's all good.
The update is the silica gel packets work, just not quickly. It's day 2 and the strawberry is about half dry. Guess I'll buy some good shit.
-Mr.Sleep

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1458330 - 04/14/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

same here-where i come from the place to go is revy, and since damp rid's actual use is to take out moisture of closets and stuff (or so i thought) i asked the paint section guys and they gave me this weird ass look like i was asking them how to grow mushrooms, so i found some ice melt which works great but needs stirring with high moisture-does damp rid need stirring because of clumping?? if it does than this ice melt works good enough. Thanks

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Free Dessicants [Re: jakeholman]
    #1458398 - 04/14/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

haha I got the same look everywhere I went(accept the craft store that had silica gel)....not only did they not have it but not one person at the hardware/home improvement places I went too knew what desiccant was

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1458403 - 04/14/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

lol :grin: :grin: :laugh: same here!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale