Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Dessicant, Gypsum, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetsimehc
freak
Drierite Alternatives
    #996138 - 10/27/02 03:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well... i was thinking about something funny...

at first the day started reading about drying shrooms.. and i came across that drierite is made from anhydrous calcium sulfate.... so im like.. ohh... then i realized that it is gypsum... so what... well.. im thinking.. mmmmm... plaster.... then a funny though passed my mind... drywalls.... besides the slow drying of drywalls.. why not use slabs of them to dry mushrooms... wouldnt be that hard.. cut segment... place segment of drywall anywhere you can seal up... depending on how you dry them and where you put them in.. you can either make a cage or a mesh thing using imagination to make it so that the shrooms not touching drywal... then close the top or bag whatever..

i thought about plaster... seems a bit dusty.... but dry walls would be intresting... just tape the edges so that it doesnt make a mess.... it should work...

i forgot... if you use gypsum... you probly have to oven dry it first before useing...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Edited by tsimehc (10/27/02 03:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: Drierite Alternatives [Re: tsimehc]
    #1001277 - 10/28/02 11:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so i was doing some more looking and looking....

i would like to point out this post... about cobalt chloride...

In reply to:

INDICATING DRIERITE
PROPERTIES: Indicating DRIERITE is impregnated with cobalt chloride. Indicating DRIERITE is blue when dry and changes to pink upon absorption of moisture. The color change is pronounced and clearly visible. This makes Indicating DRIERITE valuable when it is necessary to know with certainty that dryness is being maintained and to signal when the drying agent should be replaced. It has the same efficiency as Regular DRIERITE, and somewhat greater capacity due to the desiccating effect of the cobalt chloride.*

Contents: 97% CaS04, 3% CoCl2

well.. this was taken from www.drierite.com

so calcium sulfate and cobalt chloride....
unless you want your dessicant to change colors you wont need the cobalt chloride as to the toxic nature of it... but if you want.. you can use it...

how granular do you want the dessicant... well... this process is complex so i wont bother unless you want to know....

but i think if you were to take plaster of paris.... mix it with water per directions on package... after it solidifies... break it up so its in a manageable consistancy without turning it into dust.... after all.. you dont want dust in your lungs.... then oven dry it and there you have it... a dessicant as effective as drierite brand... without cobal chloride... or the high fee.... later im gonna see if i can score some colbalt chloride and make some indicating dessicant and non indicating without cobalt chloride with a mold so its all the same size...

dont you want to know? well... i am... dont flame me for me mind...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1001309 - 10/28/02 11:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

want to dry organic solvents? checkout this page for lab techniques and comparison of drying agents.
Drying Organic Solvents

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#3889389 - 03/08/05 09:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Didn't someone say you could use rice???

I'm leary of the chemicals in some of the drying agents. They seem to attach themselves to the shrooms or have other down sides.

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Offlinenattyiceman
Stranger
Loc: alaska
Re: Drierite Alternatives [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #3892640 - 03/09/05 02:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The best/easiest/quickest way Ive found for drying is to use a cheap humidifier. Put in shrooms instead of water. Takes about 24 hours to get bone dry.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Dessicant, Gypsum, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation