Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
My Agaricus Find
    #1652070 - 06/21/03 08:45 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys!  Four days ago, I found some baby Agaricus mushrooms sprouting up in a neighbor's yard while I was walking my dog.  I have taken pictures of them each day as they have grown, and today I picked one of the mature specimens and got some detailed pics of the gills, etc.  I also picked and got pictures of an older specimen nearby that was just starting to rot, to show the differences in appearance as the mushroom ages.

I'm fairly sure that what I've found is Agaricus campestris

You can view the pictures  here, as well as some more information on the specimens, regarding spore print, bruising, etc.  (The page might take a while to load b/c there are so many pictures... Sorry!)

Thanks in advance for any replies!!! :laugh:

Peace,

RebelSteve

P.S.  Let me know if there are problems with any of the pics on that page.  I have not actually viewed it myself, in order to allow more bandwidth for others to see the page.  Hope you enjoy the pics! :smile:

-RS 

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1652415 - 06/21/03 11:05 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The pictures loaded fine. Nice photos, BTW.

Reading through my books was interesting. To a slight degree, they have conflicting information. Some references emphasize that Agaricus campestris has a hollow to stuffed stem with a pointed base. Other references don't mention those features at all (I would consider them pretty important features).

All the references key your specimens out as being at least very close to A. campestris. On the positive side, all mushrooms that show the features in your pictures and description are edible, so you should be able to eat them (assuming they're not contaminated by Chemlawn or something like that). In the references that emphasize a hollow/stuffed stem, they call solid stemmed versions A. solidipes, which is equally edible.

Next month I'm planning attend a lecture by Rick Kerrigan, and, if I remember, I'll try to ask him about Agaricus that resemble A. campestris. If anybody knows, he should.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1652485 - 06/21/03 11:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

aren't A. califoricus close to campestris, appart from the staining in KOH?
i realize these aren't likely to be found in his area, i'm mostly just curious.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (06/21/03 11:33 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: canid]
    #1652555 - 06/21/03 11:58 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, they are.

Fred Stevens at MykoWeb has posted an excellent photo contrasting the undersides of the 2 species here. Agaricus campestris is on the left, and A. californicus is on the right.

The feature I note is the ring. In RebelSteve's specimens, the ring is collapsed, fragile-looking, and skirtlike. In A. californicus, the ring is relatively robust and has a "double lipped" appearance.

RebelSteve, here's one other thing you can watch for. Assuming you decide to eat them, when you're cooking them, note the smell. The reports I've heard indicate that cooking the poisonous species seems to make the phenolic, unpleasant odor stronger. Although it's not something the professionals like to spread around, some people seem to be able to eat even the poisonous Agaricus species and not get sick. The people who get sick often report that the mushrooms have an unpleasant odor when cooked.

To those who are thinking of using this as the basis of deciding which Agaricus to eat, it's a stupid bet. I don't know of any scientific studies which back this up. What I'm reporting is something I've heard from people who take calls with Poison Centers. The correct rule here is: if your Agaricus smells bad when you cook it, don't eat it. You still need to identify them correctly before you eat them. This just gives you one last check before you get to the part where it's too late.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1653556 - 06/22/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If it were me, I bet I would convince myself they stunk, whether or not they did.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1654853 - 06/22/03 10:02 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i have heard of anecdotal reports where certain people simply could not detect the phenolic odor present in some Agaricus and other mushroom species (including A. californicus).

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: canid]
    #1655737 - 06/23/03 07:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I can confirm those reports, having met people like that. There are people who seem completely unable to detect the odor, even in strongly smelling specimens.

If you've ever detected the odor in a specimen, then you're not one of those people.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#1656406 - 06/23/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: ]
    #1656602 - 06/23/03 06:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Great photos, RebelSteve. Damn, I'm gettin' hungry looking at that page

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: My Agaricus Find [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1656647 - 06/23/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A very nice photo pictorial.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder