Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
arguing with cool people who don't use drugs.
    #1644155 - 06/19/03 11:08 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

As I get older, my social circle, naturally, seems to be getting further away from typical smoking buddies towards circles which seldom or never use drugs/alcohol/cigs/etc. I didn't hang out with non drug users in high school or the first part of college cause I couldn't really reconcile my eccentric drugged up worldview with those of "normal" people.
The thing is that these people who I now socialize with frequently totally talk, act, and think like in ways I always identified with as being drug like. Like this one grad student I know is longtime rainbow family, but she hasn't smoked weed since she was like 15 or something. Or this on super smart guy who just graduated in philosophy made this really conscious decision to smoke for awhile, but since he has music to record and law school to prep for, he just quits equally consciously.

anyway, my question is: what are reasons that "normal", well adjusted individuals without anal hangups ought to partake in the goodies? The relevance, as I see it, is that if there isn't a good reason to use drugs, then obviously we are robbed of justification for our drug use.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: Malachi]
    #1644194 - 06/19/03 11:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I say 'like' like way too much.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1644197 - 06/19/03 11:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Never used a drug till I was 30. Then changes in my life made me look towards mushrooms. As Leary said, I learned more about myself in 6 hours than I had in the previous 15 years. I suppose it depends on what the person wants out of life - if you're satisfied with going to work, getting married and doing the pub quiz every week then why would you take drugs?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1644266 - 06/19/03 11:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Some people have good reasons to use drugs, some don't. I don't think we need to justify our drug use by trying to find reasons that apply to everyone.

When I was younger there were times when I wanted to turn everyone on, and I felt slightly frustrated when friends who I thought were "cool people" (and in fact were) didn't show any interest, or had used drugs before but had quit permanently. I think there might have been a projection thing going on there...

Some people simply prefer climbing mountains over scuba diving, or fantasy role-playing, or practicing karate, or exploring the sex life of cockroaches. "Whatever turns you on" as an old friend of mine used to say :thumbup:

Edited by Rhizoid (06/19/03 11:51 AM)

Offlineaxtv
child of the sun
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1644473 - 06/19/03 01:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Im kind of the same way. Ive hungout with people whom have used drugs since I was about 13 (starting smoking weed at 12). All through middle school and high school Ive been around this friends and now that high school is over everyone has kind of gone their seperate ways. I have a real hard time socializing with "normal" people and people whom i cant make drug references too. I cant talk about what I experienced the other night on this or how i felt doing this last month etc.. And its just....boring.

--------------------
...remember...

Offlinec_mathimatics
kaok
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: axtv]
    #1644514 - 06/19/03 01:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Do you want to smoke pot?
- If yes, smoke pot.
- If no, don't smoke pot.

Do you want to smoke cigs?
- If yes, smoke cigs.
- If no, don't smoke cigs.

Our individuality (and free will) allows for us to do whatever the hell we want!  We don't need to look towards other people for justification.  Instead of questioning peticular clicks, ask yourself what *you* think/feel about it.  As we get older in life it's important not to add to ourselves a false sense of conformity towards a society that doesn't take individuality into consideration.

axtv: there are TONS of people out there, more than you could ever possibly meet, that you would resonate with.  Just allow yourself to look for them.  I find that coffee shops are great places for like-minded individuals. :smile:

---
Everything that I say is true and false simultaneously, and I accept that.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: Xlea321]
    #1645064 - 06/19/03 04:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Never used a drug till I was 30. Then changes in my life made me look towards mushrooms. As Leary said, I learned more about myself in 6 hours than I had in the previous 15 years. I suppose it depends on what the person wants out of life - if you're satisfied with going to work, getting married and doing the pub quiz every week then why would you take drugs?

exactly. you never know yourself until you step away from your ego and have some different perspective from which to reflect. ask any person who has done a psychedelic, like shrooms or acid, about that feeling you get when you begin coming back to reality and your acceptable self.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: houshroom]
    #1645147 - 06/19/03 04:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't smoked pot since May 2002 (for various reasons, though I first quit because I was tired of it). I hang out with many ex-heavy-drug-users. Some only drink and/or smoke cigarettes. Some still hit the prescription stuff and/or smoke weed every now and then. I'm one of the few people my age (who isn't a fuckup) who still occasionally trips.

I've found that psychedelics are sort of an exhaustive experience. Once you gain a certain familiarity with them and/or you've brought your mind (with the help of the psychedelics) to an asymptotic threshold of consciousness, there really isn't an urgent need to take them anymore (at least, that's what I've found).

The main reason I've taken any in the last year has been to share the experience with a few beginners. I feel as though it's my duty to be in the same vulnerable mindset as the newbie-tripper, but that's just me. Others have and will disagree with my perspective on this, but all I can say is that it works. Not one person I've introduced to psychedelics has EVER had a bad trip with me.

Shit... sorry about the divergence.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: Sclorch]
    #1645533 - 06/19/03 06:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

don't worry about it, I learned a new word.  :smile:

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
    #1647042 - 06/20/03 03:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why should they dabble in drug use? because drug use is part of the human experience and if they don't at least TRY they're kind of robbing themselves, you really should try everything once, but of course their are exceptions, but reletively safe drugs such as marijuana, and mushrooms should be ok, just let them know that there's not a whole lot of evil behind the stigma people in society have put behind drugs.

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1647954 - 06/20/03 01:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Malachi, interesting post.
As a matter of fact, I don't take any psychadellic drugs.
I've taken weed twice in my life (last year) and took
shrooms once and had a terrifying trip (still battlin
with Depression and Panic attacks as a result of PSTD).
Yet, I'd consider myself "Spiritual" (whatever the heck
that means :wink:) and find that I can really relate to people
on this forum. The shrooms were given to me by a friend
who was "on the path" and into Shamanism. They were given
as a parting gift (the same friend gave me the weed
last year). My point is that I've never purchased anything
myself, and only tried em out as a new experience for
spirtual development. So I don't consider myself a psychedellic
user. I don't plan to take anything in the future either.
But I meditate considerably, and my most altered states
of conciousness and bliss have been while meditating.
Anyhooos, I love this forum and the people here are just
brilliant. I've rambled on too much, to answer your question:

"The relevance, as I see it, is that if there isn't a good reason to use drugs, then obviously we are robbed of justification for our drug use"

the trick here is the phrase "good reason" - so what exactly is
a "good reason" ? people find the high from Bungee jumping a
"good reason" to keep doing it. I personally, don't need the
excitement. So I guess the answer is a personal one, if u're
curious, interested then do the research (this is the part I
failed to do :-( oh well, gotta take some risks in life) and
try the weed/entheogen of choice. I'm not an advocate of
"recreational" drug use tho, simply because I feel the risk
outweighs the "fun", just my opinion tho.

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

OfflineDrubuShrume
EAT ME - I'm afungi

Loc: Right where I need to be
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: lucid]
    #1648755 - 06/20/03 05:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

>>>I've found that psychedelics are sort of an exhaustive experience. Once you gain a certain familiarity with them and/or you've brought your mind (with the help of the psychedelics) to an asymptotic threshold of consciousness, there really isn't an urgent need to take them anymore (at least, that's what I've found). <<<

I agree totally on not feeling an urgency to trip again. Although sometimes when I trip I get thoughts like "This is an experience you can only have while alive... You might die tomorrow, experience this reality as much as you can..." But I guess I am in my mind always, so as much as I can...

--------------------
AH HA....

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: DrubuShrume]
    #1650426 - 06/21/03 07:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Argueing with people who don't use drugs is like acting on the beliefs of Buddhism and expecting a red-neck Christian to agree upon those same teachings and beliefs ... or something like that..

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: nubious]
    #1650807 - 06/21/03 01:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: arguing with cool people who don't use drugs. [Re: nubious]
    #1651140 - 06/21/03 03:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

right, see, my whole point is that it is not longer like that, (buddhist/redneck) I know some really cool, open minded, intelligent people who have used drugs but haven't for years and years.

at one time, I thought there was no good reason not to at least smoke pot and trip, much like I can't think of a good reason not to study the lessons of buddhism (whereas the redneck would have a reason).

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1651461 - 06/21/03 06:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i like to get drunk by myself and stand on my balcony, watching all the ants run around pointlessly.

drugs aint shit, if you enjoy them thats awesome, but the arent a pre-requisite for intelligence or transcendental experience.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology