Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc?
    #16387281 -

Im looking at flat screens and am going to be buying one in the next week or so when I decide on the one I want and after doing some looking today was just wondering what the deal realy is with this cheaper knock off brands.  Its pretty disappointing to walk into a store with a 1000$ or so budget and feel like you cant even get a good sized flat screen.  While I was looking I was seeing like sony and samsung brands like 42 inches 700-900$ and then next to them a 55 inch vizio/insignia etc. brands for the same price.  They say they are 1080i so what is the true difference in picture quality if they are both considered 1080?  I know there has to be a catch I just cant realy see much a difference when in the store.  If anyone who has one of these more affordable brands could tell me how you like it Id appreciate it.


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #16387296 -

I have one of the cheaper brand ones, it has been good so far. The menus and stuff in the tv just don't look as nice, I havn't noticed a difference in picture quality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: SubMuncher]
    #16387317 -

Yes 1080p is better than 1080i. I can't define what it is though. The bigger the screen the farther back u have to look at it, remember this. I have about 7 lcd tv's laying around the house. Ha 2 not even plugged in. tvs are dirt cheap now days.


--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: King Klick]
    #16387321 -

I have vizio and its been good for a while.

DC


--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: SubMuncher]
    #16387325 -

I dont understand though how the menus would not look as nice if the picture quality isnt the same.  I realy wanna get a bigger sized one and go with the cheaper version but i cant stop thinking the old saying "you get what you pay for" will come back and bite me in the ass.  They look almost identical to me in the store though, it realy is hard to notice any difference.  Thanks for the response


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #16387333 -

You can go fine with a cheap brand tv. However, the big brands are built to last, ime. But regardless every tv will live to become obsolete.


--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: Demonic_Chronic]
    #16387339 -

My grandparents and parents both have several flat screen vizios and have never had any problems. My wife and I have one LG and an LED Vizio and we love both of them, I can't see any difference between ours and my friends TVs when we go to other peoples houses.


--------------------
Anything posted by me is either hypothetical or completely fictional and is for entertainment only.

All trades available are legal and for microscopy or other legal uses only. I am a collector and I do not condone the growing or using of illegal substances.

My Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: PeterGriffin467] * 1
    #16387342 -

I spent about 4 years selling TVs at Worst Buy, so here's what I would say:

The cheaper off-brand TVs can be OK, but in my experience they had significantly higher failure/return rates than name-brand TVs.  Neither TV is 1080i; no one makes 1080i TVs anymore.  It would either be 1080p or 720p.  You ask what the difference is if they're both 1080p?  Color accuracy, color depth, motion blur, inputs (number and type), black depth, black/white detail, speaker quality (if you don't use a sound system), and various other little things like moire, aliasing, etc. can all vary between brand and model.

Another thing with off-brand TVs is that they are significantly less repairable than name brand models, being that parts are rarely available and expensive.
Most anyone that knows me knows I'm an AV nerd to the core so I can try and answer any questions you have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: King Klick]
    #16387354 -

I've heard they are all made in the same factories, just the brands people trust charge more and it people just buy them because they are known brands. What I meant by the menus and stuff was that the big brand ones have better design in the menus, in the cheaper ones the design looks cheaper.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16387379 -

abltsandwich said:
I spent about 4 years selling TVs at Worst Buy, so here's what I would say:

The cheaper off-brand TVs can be OK, but in my experience they had significantly higher failure/return rates than name-brand TVs.  Neither TV is 1080i; no one makes 1080i TVs anymore.  It would either be 1080p or 720p.  You ask what the difference is if they're both 1080p?  Color accuracy, color depth, motion blur, inputs (number and type), black depth, black/white detail, speaker quality (if you don't use a sound system), and various other little things like moire, aliasing, etc. can all vary between brand and model.

Another thing with off-brand TVs is that they are significantly less repairable than name brand models, being that parts are rarely available and expensive.
Most anyone that knows me knows I'm an AV nerd to the core so I can try and answer any questions you have.



hey thanks man, thats exactly the type of response i was looking for.  Im pretty sure Im just gonna go with a sony to be on the safe side.


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #16387396 -

PeterGriffin467 said:
abltsandwich said:
I spent about 4 years selling TVs at Worst Buy, so here's what I would say:

The cheaper off-brand TVs can be OK, but in my experience they had significantly higher failure/return rates than name-brand TVs.  Neither TV is 1080i; no one makes 1080i TVs anymore.  It would either be 1080p or 720p.  You ask what the difference is if they're both 1080p?  Color accuracy, color depth, motion blur, inputs (number and type), black depth, black/white detail, speaker quality (if you don't use a sound system), and various other little things like moire, aliasing, etc. can all vary between brand and model.

Another thing with off-brand TVs is that they are significantly less repairable than name brand models, being that parts are rarely available and expensive.
Most anyone that knows me knows I'm an AV nerd to the core so I can try and answer any questions you have.



hey thanks man, thats exactly the type of response i was looking for.  Im pretty sure Im just gonna go with a sony to be on the safe side.



Sony is an amazing company! But they don't specialize in tv's. If you wanna get a top rate tv, then get a company that specifically makes tv's


--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: King Klick]
    #16387404 -

My family has a sony bravia 42 inch and its awesome I love it, i just want one slightly bigger.


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #16387425 -

The Verge ran an article on Vizio today.  They seem like a fucking AWESOME company, all about quality for an affordable price.  The reason they're cheaper is that they basically don't run ANY advertising, and the pass the savings on.  I would definitely think about going with one of them.

Probably wouldn't get an Insignia though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16387439 -

The last time I was in bestbuy I noticed the Samsung TV's looked way better than every other brand on the wall.
The color/quality was far beyond the others.

Kinda fishy though.. maybe they were having a sale on that brand.


--------------------
It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus.
All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the
octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV.
But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns.
Also he got a race car.
Is any of this getting through to you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: Deity208]
    #16387506 -

Actualy I was told by this fuckwad salesman at an electronics store today that samsung was considered to have the best picture, i dont know if theres any truth to that though.


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #16389028 -

PeterGriffin467 said:
Actualy I was told by this fuckwad salesman at an electronics store today that samsung was considered to have the best picture, i dont know if theres any truth to that though.



I have a 55 inch plasma Samsung 3D tv that I purchased about 9 months ago. I don't know if it's the best (as far as picture goes), but it's pretty damn good. No complaints here.


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: Nifflerz]
    #16389031 -

I own an Olevia right now, they sold out/went out of business and the TV is super old but awesomesauce still.

I have had vizeo's and some other off brand.  As long as you get the NICER versions of their TV, not the super low end walmart one they are good.


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: mndfreeze]
    #16389090 -

Panasonic Plasma is the best TV on the market.  You can get a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma for $1k or less easy, and that's Worst Buy prices.  Cleveland Plasma has great deals usually and top notch delivery service, check 'em out.  One step further you can do a self-calibration  with settings found on avs-forum.com and get a perfect picture on the TV.  I say go Panasonic plasma, but he next best thing is Samsung plasma, and they are good but the colors are more inaccurate out of the box and they benefit more from doing a calibration.  Once calibrated, Samsung and Panasonic plasma are very close in performance, though I feel Panasonics are still the king.  LED and LCD are much more expensive per inch and don't give nearly the performance, I don't recommend them as the plasma outperforms them in almost every category.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16389095 -

abltsandwich said:
I don't recommend them as the plasma outperforms them in almost every category.



Does it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone have a "cheaper" flat screen brand like vizio or insignia etc? [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #16389099 -

Yeah.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Anybody know any Internet retailiers of Good FLAT SCREEN monitors- PsillyNilly 930 6 01/25/05 01:56 PM
by phi1618
* Late Night Crew's insignia thread (updated) TYL3R 1,677 16 01/16/14 02:54 AM
by NWlight
* Cheaper Prices at 'Guitarget' lid 1,359 12 10/14/05 10:25 PM
by lid
* Brand name vs Off brand VoidOfsPg 912 7 03/13/06 04:49 PM
by Taco Chef
* whos in your friends online screen?
( 1 2 all )
Dreamer987 2,015 32 09/07/05 04:26 PM
by nookjohn
* Anyone with a big screen tv lemon_lw 1,626 16 08/06/06 06:54 PM
by Prisoner#1
* What is a good brand name computer? klonokingpin 781 14 10/07/05 06:50 PM
by downforpot
* What does your screen name mean?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
MOTH 11,140 103 08/11/17 06:33 PM
by trscstghst

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,586 topic views. 4 members, 41 guests and 229 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.