Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshakta
Infidel
shopping list and a couple questions
    #1619210 - 06/08/03 10:38 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Alirght, I have been a busy bee today. Got all kinds of goodies. The bigger stuff frst.

I got this cool mist humidifier at Wally World.
http://www.honeywellconsumerproducts.com/HCP_Store/catalog/productdisplay.asp?modelnum=RCM832

My growing chamber will be a 29 gal aquarium. It measures 30" x 12" x 18" (LxWxH). Is this an appropriate humidifier for this size aquarium? They also had the Vicks one if I should use it instead. I also got some perlite in case I need it as well. So, if this one is big enough, do I need to put it on a timer or just let it do it's thing 24/7? Will the perlite be necessary? I live in Texas and the house is always around 70-72* inside.

This brings me to the next item I got. A heating pad. From what I have read the terrarium needs to be at 75*. I think this heating pad on the lowest setting should be good for this hopefully. Is 70* warm enough or do I need the extra bit of heat?

I also got a 10 quart PC. It is not as big as I wanted, but it was the biggest I could find locally and I want to get started. Can I put the jars on top of each other in the PC? If so I could do a lot more at a time.

Here is a list of the rest of the stuff I got for this. I plan to use the PF Tek for my first try. If it works I would like to try a casing next. BTW, I will be doing 12 jars of B+ unless you guys think my terrarium is big enough for 24. If so, i would like to try 12 of B+ and 12 of South African. Anyway here is the list of everything else.

24 1/2 pint jars
Heavy Duty Foil
Lysol
About 3 #s of BRF from the bulk container at Whole Foods
8 quarts of verm
Couple bags of Perlite
2 different size totes that fit into each other for incubator
100W aquarium heater (is it ok to run the cord between the two totes so I don't have to drill a hole in the bottom one?)
thermometer for incubator
Remote thermometer/hygrometer for aquarium(it appears to only go to 90%, is this ok? It does record low and high though, so that is cool if I have to use a timer for the cool mist)

Peroxide (I was thinking about using this in the cool mist and/or the perlite at a 1/10 ratio (0.03%).
Antibacterial soap.

So what am I forgetting? I am going to mix up the substrate and fill the jars tonight. If someone knows the answer to stacking the jars I will probably PC some of them tonight. If not it will be tomorrow night. Thanks to everyone who has answers or comments! Oh yeah, if I have to do a bunch of different batches in the PC is it ok to put the rest of the jars into a plastic tote or something until they are all PCed and cooled? I would like to inoculate them all at the same time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: shopping list and a couple questions [Re: shakta]
    #1619414 - 06/09/03 12:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Antibacterial soap isn't worth your money. Use dilute (1:10) bleach or ammonia, or just that hydrogen peroxide. Works better and is much cheaper. If you're using it to sterilize surfaces, spray them with it from a spray bottle and let it sit for 1-5 minutes before wiping off.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: shopping list and a couple questions [Re: Sev]
    #1619428 - 06/09/03 12:23 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Cool. The soap was 87 cents. Anyway, how about the rest of my questions? :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation