Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Apprenticeship - advice needed [Re: Shins]
    #16023620 - 03/31/12 11:09 AM (12 years, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
an apprenticeship will accelerate your experience and wage potential greatly though unless youre lucky or exceptionally talented IMO.

Its interesting to think about. I had an interview with a general contractor for a high end and successful company last year and he took training/certification with a grain of salt.

The guy who taught me what i know (now our production foreman) is 25 (younger than me) and has been really excelling in the trades since he was in highschool. He can do pretty much anything and is extremely knowledgable and proficient. He has no formal education, although i am sure he could challenge for a red seal carpentry ticket... I feel like NOT being ticketed, or perhaps due to his age, keeps his wage lower than it should be inspite of his skill level.

Despite this - especially in a competitive entrylevel market, having some formal training is certainly a selling point to a prospective employer. Most 1st/2nd year apprentices are likely pretty much treated like idiots anyways. However, if your employer knows you can use tools, stay safe, and have good lifestyle habits - they can train you to do the rest. That's what i am observing at my company anyways.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Apprenticeship - advice needed [Re: Uzziel]
    #16023756 - 03/31/12 11:39 AM (12 years, 2 hours ago)

Where i live is renouned for its carpentry and timber industry, there is fairly big demand for skilled carpenters, you dont need to already be in the industry, the program will help you get a job and there are all kinds of companies waiting for new apprentices and journeymen.

around here joiners get paid about the same as framers and if you have completed a 4 year apprenticship you wont have much trouble avoiding the low wage east indian or whatever companies.

those low end companies usually advertise for entry level jobs and pay low...

all of the higher pay jobs around ask 5 years experience minimum.

i guess you could just straight work that instead of apprentice, but i think apprenticing would open me to a wider skillset and alse be more interesting.  plus you make money apprenticing anyways and get to learn straight from some of the top tier joiners in the trade to boot.

around here it seems apprenticing for a trade is a good way to go, it might not be the same everywhere, but im going to go for it.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Edited by Shins (03/31/12 11:49 AM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#16023795 - 03/31/12 11:46 AM (12 years, 2 hours ago)

I am just looking at the job outcomes statistics at the institute i will be training at.

66% of carpentry apprentices are employed as carpenters or cabinetmakerrs

22% are Contractors/super intendents, trades and related workers.

Interesting. :smile:

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Apprenticeship - advice needed [Re: PDU]
    #16023846 - 03/31/12 11:57 AM (12 years, 2 hours ago)

Employment rate here for graduates is 88% and -i think- average $2850/month after tax (3 year average after 4 year full time apprentice graduation) and apparently many foremen and such come from a joinery background.

i really just love woodworking so a medium wage is worth it to me.

beats working in a warehouse for peanuts like i have been doing :frown:

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#16024071 - 03/31/12 12:39 PM (12 years, 1 hour ago)

Totally. Thats what the master joiner told me too - do it for the love of it, not the money.

I am looking at how much my current position is destroying my body and compare it to working in a wood shop - it is appealing, although standing at workstations for years on end has it's own ergonomic challenges.

I am making about $2800/month now after a few hours OT each week, and i definitely want to be making more. Life will be an uphill battle at that wage ...

But to each their own - cost of living is extremely high here too, so depending on the economy where your at, $2800 might go alot further than it does here.

I was working in a warehouse for $11.50/hr before this job too. SUCKED.

I got this job and started at $12, went to $14 at 3 months, $16 at 9 months, and $17.50 at 13 months. I'll be inline for $20 at the end of Summer....

However, i want to be making in the range of $27-$37 and that likely won't go happen in this sector of the trades. I could reach the lower end in a few more years with my current company ... but ultimately want to reach the higher "professional" wage.

We'll see what happens. Ultimately i should be focused on happiness, not wage ... I suppose'

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Apprenticeship - advice needed [Re: PDU]
    #16024203 - 03/31/12 01:03 PM (12 years, 1 hour ago)

You should make a good bit more than that when you get good enough to have your own company.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Apprenticeship - advice needed [Re: zappaisgod]
    #16024255 - 03/31/12 01:15 PM (12 years, 1 hour ago)

Yeah forsure - being the boss is the way to go, and entrepreneurship is up my alley.

Working for someone else, even with 10+ years experience, around here it seems like $27-31 are about the going wages.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Apprenticeship - advice needed [Re: zappaisgod]
    #16024295 - 03/31/12 01:24 PM (12 years, 57 minutes ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You should make a good bit more than that when you get good enough to have your own company.

yeah thats really a good way to go eventually isnt it?

after 10 years of good work i expect to make more than 3k,  taxes where i live are atrociously  high though as well and it really cuts into your wages.

after living off 1.5k a month max *ggggrrrrroooaan* while also supporting my lady is tough shit and a joiners wage looks quite appealing to me right now :p

my lady has also enrolled in college so hopefully our combined wages will rock the house!

most of our basic expenses (not food) eat up the first 1k, so after the first 1k its all gravy...

--------------------

Edited by Shins (03/31/12 01:30 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies