Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
whole grains versus powdered grains
    #1597828 - 06/01/03 09:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I read through the faq and I did a search as well, and I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for. I would like to know exactly why whole grains are so much more prone to contams than their powdered counterparts (i.e. require pressure cooker), and also why they produce larger, more potent flushes.

How come so much nutritional value is lost when one powders a grain? It seems strange that the same grain material becomes much less nutritious when it is in powder form.

It would make sense that you would need a pressure cooker to sterilize through the hard outer shell of whole grains, but why are whole grains so much more potent as substrates? To me it's just a difference in shape, but clearly that affects the size and potency of the resulting mushrooms.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: whole grains versus powdered grains [Re: megaman3]
    #1598257 - 06/01/03 03:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

>It would make sense that you would need a pressure cooker to sterilize through >the hard outer shell of whole grains

Yes, you are correct.

>To me it's just a difference in shape, but clearly that affects the size and potency >of the resulting mushrooms.

It doesn't "clearly" make the mushroom larger and more potent, albeit some people claim it does. The biggest difference is that you can't fill a jar with straight powdered grain and grow mycelium on it. It will just turn into a sloppy mess. You have to mix your flour with vermiculite to create a porous environment for the mycelium to grow. With whole grains, you can grow right off the grain. So, say where a brf cake is only 1/3 nutrients and the rest of the room is taken up by verm, a whole grain cake is almost all nutrients 'cause there is no verm taking up all the space. Does this answer your question?

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: whole grains versus powdered grains [Re: Demiurge]
    #1598761 - 06/01/03 06:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you very much, Demiurge. Very nice answer. I will rate you with 5 mushrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation