Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: eBay Lighters   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
I have some questions ---> Grains & Manure.
    #1553371 - 05/16/03 05:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I started off early last April with making a spore syringe from a kind trader's Golden Teacher spore print on PF cakes and to be frank, the learning experience was ok but the fruits are tiny and the work load is not commensurable to the result.

Sorry on the pic, even at 1/1000 flash, it still comes up too bright (hence the lame photoshop light editing) and hard to manually focus. I just want bigger fruits. The two cakes to the left of the bic lighter are 2nd flush, the other cake is on 1st flush. There are some more not seen. Yes, the cakes were run at 28C in colonization, given light whilst in their glasses to initiate and then birthed/cased in vermiculite to a 95% R/H fruiting environment with ambient day light at 22C temperature. I dunked 1:200 bleach water into the refrigerator on 3 cakes post 1st flush so far. Dunno about bleach being a go'er, I ended up with tan coloured mycelium (dead mycelium being that colour I've read), though they did make a come back. I won't know what the potency of the first dried fruit is like until next week when I have the time.

I decided before all the PF cakes need to be birthed (cripes, most are not even fully colonized and their erratic stages in development friggin' sux) I moved onto grains. BTW, some of the PF cakes made were to the PF ratio of 1 water, 1 BRF and 2 vermiculite method and others to the FungiFun Simple Minds recipe. Yes, I could use the cakes as a spawn and get more result, but I decided grains are the go, they're all food, as there's no inert non-food i.e. vermiculite. It's birdseed, mostly millet. This is half of the grains jars I have underway. To me at least, there's far less work to get grains under way as spawn, compared to PF cakes. 

So, my question on grains is this. I have used spores I made from my first PF fruiting cake and made a spore syringe of which I inoculated the grains. I'm now wondering, since this is not a mycelium hot injection start, aka a mycelium culture (I only just got wide bore needle tips and I couldn't pull shit on the mycelium solution I had with the fine points)...

....will these Golden Teacher spore started grains be ok? They won't "duke" it out in a bulk casing? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm under the impression that one should have the same mycelium, rather than the variable of spore started myceliums (plural) in the spawn kick-off?

My next question. I collected aged cow manure. Hence the 18lt pot for pasturization and the home made trivot from an aluminium frying pan. I've read about the pillow slip and thermometer method.

I have read also old manure is the go'er and one should look for the stuff that has that white'ish colour to it. There's also kangaroo manure in it too, since they're more common than the cows on that farm and I couldn't be arsed picking their droppings out. Is this manure ok? Does it look like what you use? I did the smell test on it, no smell at all. Just smells like dry grass to an earthy smell. Is it too leached of the good stuff for Mr cubensis?

Yes, I'm gunning for bulk substrate because of all the good stories on big fruit and I'm now wondering, are these green planter tubs ok as trays for this project? They're 5" deep, 6" wide and 10" long. They're light proof. I checked against a HID. I've read deep trays are better. True/false? Is it best to cover the drainage holes, or will they be of advantage to deal with possible mycelium piss to drain to their catch trays?

One more question on cow manure, is it necessary to have straw added to it, to open the profile or is straight pasturized cow manure mixed with well colonized grain spawn sufficient with a 60/40 coir & vermiculite casing?

Sorry on the many questions, but I would really appreciate any constructive or critical input. I have lurked the MC & contam board and read the FAQ's of relevance to me (they're good and your community should be proud).

Thanks  :smile:
Starter 

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: I have some questions ---> Grains & Manure. [Re: Starter]
    #1553448 - 05/16/03 07:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

#1  A multispore will be fine. If you had an isolate you would perhaps get a more even pinset, or a better flush depending on if it was worked with (aka a clone, etc.). The multispore will do fine, they will not "battle it out" but instead grow in their own little "colonies" to say.

#2  You got the good poo. You can test the PH if you want to be sure its OK, but I would put my money on it being just great.

#3  Whatever container suits your needs will work fine :wink: People use all kinds of things. You may want to keep the container size in mind when deciding how much spawn to make.

#4  I would plug the drainage holes, but I dont think they would cause a problem open. Perhaps it would drain off waste, but its not necessary. I would close them for the simple fact to seal it up, no need for another contamination opening.

#5  With or without straw is fine. Either way it will rip through it like mad. No real gain from adding straw but perhaps air pockets inside the substrate. I dont think you would have any real gains from this as your just wasting space you could use for more nutrient filled poop.

Just make sure its well pasturized and you have adequate spawn, youll have a big smile on your face compared to the cakes (especially with that strain).

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: I have some questions ---> Grains & Manure. [Re: ATWAR]
    #1556061 - 05/17/03 01:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ATWAR, thanks heaps on the answers and good to hear I got the right shit lol. I'll block those holes when it comes to loading the goodies. :smile:

Yeah, the cakes have had the ol'dehydration probs, but this cake and another not far off, are an improvement. Can't wait to get to the bulk substrates and get some real results. :smile:     

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: I have some questions ---> Grains & Manure. [Re: Starter]
    #1556337 - 05/17/03 04:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Good post ATWAR, but I disagree with your response in two ways.

1. I think any excess water sitting in the bottom of your container is more likely to cause contams than the holes themselves. So I would leave them. A lot of people do put drainage holes in the bottom of their containers to avoid spoiling their batch with possible excess water, but if you get the water content right its not necessary.

2. Also, straw is not just added to poo to make "air pockets." Good quality straw adds a lot of nutrients and some people think it even works better than dung. It is possible to get gains by adding straw to the mix. It also makes the poo go farther and does add "air pockets" like you said. Then again, a lot of people think straw contaminates more easily because it has so much nutrients.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: eBay Lighters   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation