Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: 4runner]
    #15519641 -

anunnakian said:
CrossingTheStar said:
I want to appreciate games on their highest settings with a new screen. So I figure, I may as well get a laptop.



You don't want a laptop then.



I travel around kinda often. A lap top for gaming and watching movies would be perfect.


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519645 -

AlienWare == DELL

Which for the first three years that you own it should do you fine.

Personally for that type of money and purchasing a LapTop I would just throw down just a little more and get a MacBook.

When the prices go up like that a Windows Based box really looses it's luster.  That is primarily dealing with they Ultimate Eventual Headache of owning a Windows Box.  I won't go into specifics here; why should I?


--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Its Pat]
    #15519650 -

Its Pat said:
AlienWare == DELL

Which for the first three years that you own it should do you fine.

Personally for that type of money and purchasing a LapTop I would just throw down just a little more and get a MacBook.

When the prices go up like that a Windows Based box really looses it's luster.  That is primarily dealing with they Ultimate Eventual Headache of owning a Windows Box.  I won't go into specifics here; why should I?



Boo to apple.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Its Pat]
    #15519658 -

Well he wants to game pat, so a macbook would be void for that point.


Crossing, by not wanting a laptop he meant you will not achieve the highest quality settings on a laptop, you cannot as they do not consume the power of a desktop and cannot produce the equivalent.  You'll get medium to medium high graphics settings and you won't get 1080p resolutions.  Expect something like 1440x not 1920x.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Beanhead]
    #15519661 -

Beanhead said:
Just put together your own computer, with that kind of money you can make a monster PC

Also you hate it that your computer is starting to slow down but the batteries of a laptop wear out so fast and the moment it starts to overheat it runs annoyingly slow.



On the description of one of the alienware desktops, it says
"Includes liquid cooled CPUs with a maintentance-free radiator. Internal chassis fans include an HDD and GPU chassis fan."

So I'm guessing they don't skimp on cooling for the $1,500 laptops either. Well, I should hope not...


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Inconspicuous]
    #15519666 -

I've used both products, and I personally prefer windows.  I don't hate on mac.  it just sucks and does my talking for me.  :Trollface:


--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519670 -

Maverick said:
Well he wants to game pat, so a macbook would be void for that point.


Crossing, by not wanting a laptop he meant you will not achieve the highest quality settings on a laptop, you cannot as they do not consume the power of a desktop and cannot produce the equivalent.  You'll get medium to medium high graphics settings and you won't get 1080p resolutions.  Expect something like 1440x not 1680x.



I know. When I bought my desktop a few years ago, I wanted to originally buy a laptop. But I realized it would cost $200 more and would be half the speed.


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519674 -

CrossingTheStar said:
anunnakian said:
CrossingTheStar said:
I want to appreciate games on their highest settings with a new screen. So I figure, I may as well get a laptop.



You don't want a laptop then.



I travel around kinda often. A lap top for gaming and watching movies would be perfect.



Makes since.
Just make sure that battery life will actually allow you to watch a movie if that is what you intend to do.
Those laptops eat up battery power.

Edited by 4runner (12/15/11 08:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519680 -

Don't EVER buy a prebuilt watercooling loop by ANYONE.  It will have mixed metals such as both aluminum and copper.  You will get corrosion and galvanization.  If you EVER go with a watercooling system, build it yourself.  Those alienware watercooling systems are Nothing but TROUBLE.

Just because it says liquid cooling people automatically assume that it's good.  No it's not.

I have a watercooled PC, I've had a few.  Mine is a custom built waterloop, everything is nickel and copper.  A lot of prebuilt systems will use Aluminum and copper (alienware has done this), and it ruins the metal after awhile through galvanization.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519712 -

Maverick said:
Don't EVER buy a prebuilt watercooling loop by ANYONE.  It will have mixed metals such as both aluminum and copper.  You will get corrosion and galvanization.  If you EVER go with a watercooling system, build it yourself.  Those alienware watercooling systems are Nothing but TROUBLE.

Just because it says liquid cooling people automatically assume that it's good.  No it's not.

I have a watercooled PC, I've had a few.  Mine is a custom built waterloop, everything is nickel and copper.  A lot of prebuilt systems will use Aluminum and copper (alienware has done this), and it ruins the metal after awhile through galvanization.



Wow, I never knew that. Maybe I should just wipe my PC, buy a new screen for 125 or so, and a used 360 and have adapters to the PC screen when I want to play it.

I'm not really sure though now.


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519786 -

Get a Thinkpad. High quality build with great components. If you really wanna game though, I'd recommend a solid desktop.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519789 -

CrossingTheStar said:
Maverick said:
Don't EVER buy a prebuilt watercooling loop by ANYONE.  It will have mixed metals such as both aluminum and copper.  You will get corrosion and galvanization.  If you EVER go with a watercooling system, build it yourself.  Those alienware watercooling systems are Nothing but TROUBLE.

Just because it says liquid cooling people automatically assume that it's good.  No it's not.

I have a watercooled PC, I've had a few.  Mine is a custom built waterloop, everything is nickel and copper.  A lot of prebuilt systems will use Aluminum and copper (alienware has done this), and it ruins the metal after awhile through galvanization.



Wow, I never knew that. Maybe I should just wipe my PC, buy a new screen for 125 or so, and a used 360 and have adapters to the PC screen when I want to play it.

I'm not really sure though now.




Most screens have HDMI, so you shouldn't need any adapters.  It would be cool if they made a skinny xbox 360 for travel.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519810 -

Maverick said:
Well he wants to game pat, so a macbook would be void for that point.


Crossing, by not wanting a laptop he meant you will not achieve the highest quality settings on a laptop, you cannot as they do not consume the power of a desktop and cannot produce the equivalent.  You'll get medium to medium high graphics settings and you won't get 1080p resolutions.  Expect something like 1440x not 1920x.



Hello, VMWare Fusion or Virtual Box (hot as Much).  Also Dual Booting, come on guys?!

I know Macs are expensive.  I just don't want to fuck around with a Windows Box at home.


--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519832 -

Maverick said:
CrossingTheStar said:
Maverick said:
Don't EVER buy a prebuilt watercooling loop by ANYONE.  It will have mixed metals such as both aluminum and copper.  You will get corrosion and galvanization.  If you EVER go with a watercooling system, build it yourself.  Those alienware watercooling systems are Nothing but TROUBLE.

Just because it says liquid cooling people automatically assume that it's good.  No it's not.

I have a watercooled PC, I've had a few.  Mine is a custom built waterloop, everything is nickel and copper.  A lot of prebuilt systems will use Aluminum and copper (alienware has done this), and it ruins the metal after awhile through galvanization.



Wow, I never knew that. Maybe I should just wipe my PC, buy a new screen for 125 or so, and a used 360 and have adapters to the PC screen when I want to play it.

I'm not really sure though now.




Most screens have HDMI, so you shouldn't need any adapters.  It would be cool if they made a skinny xbox 360 for travel.



Most Screens Now have HDMI.

But even HDMI for the Computer Market isn't going to take over from VGA or DVI.  "Display Ports" seem to be envogue at the moment from all the Business Desktop Suppliers.  But I have yet to see an OLDER monitor support it.

Then there is Apples Thunder-Bolt which Promisses to Replace practically all Data, Video and Parephrelia connections.  You can Plug a Monitor into the back of a External Disk Drive to Daisy-Chain it to the System.  So you have a video signal passing through that External going directly to the Monitor.  And you can feed multiple Video Signals through the same Cable. 

Lots of things to think about.

Truthfully I'm just about finished Doing Desktop Support


--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Its Pat]
    #15519870 -

Paying more for a mac just to run windows on it for playing games and watching movies seems like a bad choice.
Besides, I would bet you will get better gaming performance on a PC vs a Mac for the same price.

Apples Thunderbolt was created by Intel called Light Peak.
Apple just adopted it quicker. There won't be another USB version (at least from what I last read) so Light Peak should start getting adopted by more companies in future years since USB 3.0 just came out in the last year.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519896 -

Rexter said:
I have an asus g 60j x and works super good for games
With no lags. And supurb graphics. And super fast.



Maverick said:
Anyone here check out Asus laptops?  I've got an Asus G71, and I can play the new Assassin's Creed on it, I can play crysis on it, etc.

I think they're lower priced than alienwares too, and personally I like them better than overpriced Dell (alienware).




--------------------
new trade list 
my own WCA V: I

"Ha! Marshall you're so funny man You should be a comedian, god damn!" Unfortunately I am I just hide behind the tears of a clown"

Meteloides said:
Stick to naturally occurring substances! Like Shrooms! And DMT! And Datura! And Amanita Phalloides! And Nutmeg! And Hemlock!
That'll expand the shit out of your DNA.
:ancientaliens:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Rexter]
    #15520180 -

I was doing court mandated community service one time and this old man comes in and has an Alienware laptop in his hands.  This was the kind of place that people donate their old crap and get tax receipts so they can use them as a tax write off.  The dude proceeded to tell us a story about how he bought the thing for his son as a high school  graduation present.  And how the kid failed out of college in his first semester so he decided to take it away and was donating it to the "christian ministry" place I was at.  The lady running the community service had absolutely NO idea what it was and I told her I would giver her 150 bucks for it and she's all "Hell yea".  The next day when I brought the money up to pay her someone had broken in to the place that night and stole it. 

I assume it was one of the kids doing community service that saw it and saw how easy it would be to break in and steal it.  My heart was broken... I was so close.   



--------------------
A great truth cannot be communicated, it must be realized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Blindtheeye]
    #15520258 -

Blindtheeye said:
I was doing court mandated community service one time and this old man comes in and has an Alienware laptop in his hands.  This was the kind of place that people donate their old crap and get tax receipts so they can use them as a tax write off.  The dude proceeded to tell us a story about how he bought the thing for his son as a high school  graduation present.  And how the kid failed out of college in his first semester so he decided to take it away and was donating it to the "christian ministry" place I was at.  The lady running the community service had absolutely NO idea what it was and I told her I would giver her 150 bucks for it and she's all "Hell yea".  The next day when I brought the money up to pay her someone had broken in to the place that night and stole it. 

I assume it was one of the kids doing community service that saw it and saw how easy it would be to break in and steal it.  My heart was broken... I was so close.   





Would you rather get an alienware or asus personally?

And to everybody else, are the $899 M11x and the $1,099 M14x good enough to download like 10 steam games on them, and play without lag?


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15520266 -

In 1 minute and 20 seconds an M17x goes for $860 on ebay. Maybe I should buy one there...


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15520280 -

Dude build a desktop and drop ~$400 for a laptop on the go.  You'll save money over an Alienware and it will perform better.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Buying a new laptop(Council Needed!)
( 1 2 all )
2Cents 1,925 33 09/23/11 05:13 PM
by Divinity
* I need a new laptop and I have no idea which brand to get
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Patlal 5,730 62 09/21/13 06:03 PM
by barong
* Alienwares
( 1 2 3 all )
st1llnox 5,206 49 09/21/13 09:25 PM
by teamkiller
* Took my laptop apart toay for the first time musiclover420 516 10 06/22/15 01:04 PM
by r00tuuu123
* Pick a laptop for me...
( 1 2 3 all )
PDU 7,254 57 12/03/08 09:19 PM
by PDU
* Thinking about buying a new laptop *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Pareidolia 1,689 21 08/27/11 12:09 AM
by Pareidolia
* Laptops...
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Awakened1 1,616 73 05/03/16 09:13 PM
by Awakened1
* gaming laptop? TheMovement 745 10 07/02/13 09:03 PM
by Konyap

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,678 topic views. 2 members, 18 guests and 140 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.04 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.