Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Alienware Laptops
    #15518378 -

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx
I want to get the M17x, but there's something fishy with the price. It is listed as "starting at $1,499", but when you go to buy it it says "$1,699 reduced $100 to $1,599". So yeah, that's some bullshit.

Anyway, anybody here used an alienware laptop before? My PC has been starting to lag (I got it 3 years ago I think), and having some internet problems. I'm thinking about selling it on Ebay, plus I can sell some speakers and a monitor with it. I payed 450 I think for it, and that didn't include the speakers/flat screen, so I figure if I start bids for the entire setup, screen and all at $300 I could get it sold. Plus, I got a ps2 and a handful of games I could probably sell for around $100. (Thus raising enough money towards it that I may as well buy it)

So yeah, is it worth it? I want nice smooth gaming. And I travel occasionally, so I don't want to get the desktop (the cheaper one is like $1,399 and probably faster), but again, I need portable. Alienware seems like the best laptop one can get. The most expensive one for 2k is supposed to be as fast in every way as a pricey desktop. Plus they have good cooling, hard to overheat, built in webcam (probably pretty good quality), motherfucking lightup keys that you can change the damn colors on, come on -- how cool is that? Not to mention being the coolest exterior both open and closed out of any laptop in existence. Plus, it's rated the best PC of the year for 2011.





:goodnews: Discuss


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15518675 -

They're way overpriced.  I would stay FAR away.

If you game, you want a desktop.  Laptops never really do the job.  You can get gaming laptops, but IMO you're better off getting a desktop, and a cheaper laptop for travelling and you'll still save money.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15519208 -

My grandma was telling me how much she hated her new laptop, and that it's just a peice of shit, so she went out and got a Mac.
It turns out that "piece of shit" lap top was actually a quality alienware :facepalm:


--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Legend]
    #15519261 -

I have an asus g 60j x and works super good for games
With no lags. And supurb graphics. And super fast.


--------------------
new trade list 
my own WCA V: I

"Ha! Marshall you're so funny man You should be a comedian, god damn!" Unfortunately I am I just hide behind the tears of a clown"

Meteloides said:
Stick to naturally occurring substances! Like Shrooms! And DMT! And Datura! And Amanita Phalloides! And Nutmeg! And Hemlock!
That'll expand the shit out of your DNA.
:ancientaliens:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519316 -



I just purchased a laptop for 1225 EUR converted to 1588 USD all tax included.

M4S XMG P501 PRO Gaming Notebook 39,6cm (15.6")
. 39,6cm (15.6") Full-HD (1920*1080) Non-Glare
. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 1536MB GDDR5
. Intel Core i5-2520M - 2,50 - 3,20GHz 3MB
. 8GB (2x4096) SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
. 500GB SATA-II 7200U/Min Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS)
. DVD SATA Multinorm Brenner
. Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (inkl. Bluetooth)
. Basis-Garantie: 24M. Pickup&Return | 6M. Sofort-Reparatur -DE
. No OS (installing it myself)
. Keyboard U.S. International

the machine has pretty much every type of connectivity i could ask for

9-in-1 Cardreader (MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC), DVI-I out, eSATA, IEEE 1394a Firewire, HDMI out, Kopfhörer, Mikrofon, RJ-45 Netzwerkanschluss, S/PDIF (TOS-Link), 3x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0

also going to order an SSD very soon and swap the Seagate into the second hard drive slot. then i'm good to go.

i've compared alienware and a bunch of other brands and decided with this one. definitely take as much time as you need to do your research. i've been looking around for over 6 months, comparing until i went crazy. but it's always worth it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Rexter]
    #15519325 -

I just bought an acer laptop. Figured I'd give them a try.

It cost around $500 and has 6 gb ram, 650 gb drive and a 2.4 processor. I'm not that knowledgeable about computer systems but I thought that was decent for the price. It won't be used for gaming or anything. just for browsing the webs and a platform to run digital synths/music software.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: x Ju x]
    #15519479 -

I've used an alienwere laptop. It cost my buddy £1100 a few years ago and is a real good machine. It's just extra pricey.

In the past I've had a really bad experience with acer laptops and computers. They don't seem to last long before they start playing up and something always goes wrong with them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Inconspicuous]
    #15519489 -

I've heard that alienware is overpriced shit, ever since they got bought by Dell.


--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: NWlight]
    #15519496 -

by the way if your reason for getting a new computer is that it's starting to lag, why don't you just save all of your files to an external hard drive and do system restore to factory settings? It takes literally like an hour. Maybe.


--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Legend]
    #15519510 -

legit27 said:
My grandma was telling me how much she hated her new laptop, and that it's just a peice of shit, so she went out and got a Mac.
It turns out that "piece of shit" lap top was actually a quality alienware :facepalm:



:ilold:

Alienware laptops are some of the best and most powerful laptops out there. They've dominated the gaming market with regards to laptops for years now. I guess that might be the reason they were bought over by Dell a while back. If you can afford one and you need the portability then I say go for it. You can be guaranteed the laptop will be future proof and will handle anything you throw at it. The hardware is state of the art and their benchmarks are always top class.  But one thing you should be aware of is the fact that with Alienware, you're paying for the name. It's like when someone goes out and buys themselves a Ferrari. A percentage of their cash is going towards the brand name itself.

Either way, let us know if you end up buying one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: NWlight]
    #15519515 -

NWlight said:
by the way if your reason for getting a new computer is that it's starting to lag, why don't you just save all of your files to an external hard drive and do system restore to factory settings? It takes literally like an hour. Maybe.



Well at first I was thinking about getting new speakers (the left one barely works) a new screen (it's like 6 years old, but at least it's flat), and then doing system restore. But my wireless internet for pc desktop is broken and I'm stuck using this junky laptop. I just bought a new wireless thing, but it's not working right. Plus, the PC is a few years old and I think it's starting to be out dated, GTA4 lags a lot on singleplayer, and MW2 lags like hell unless I make the graphic settings to minimum, then it runs smooth.

I want to appreciate games on their highest settings with a new screen. So I figure, I may as well get a laptop. New screen and processor and stuff all in one.

But it's a tough choice. I only have a bit more then 1k in the bank, and I've been eying up some spy stuff that would be fun to fool around with.

But I'm kind of jumping between a shitload of awesome goodies, selling my video game system and PC and taking all my spare cash and buying an epic laptop.


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: gENERIX]
    #15519526 -

gENERIX said:
legit27 said:
My grandma was telling me how much she hated her new laptop, and that it's just a peice of shit, so she went out and got a Mac.
It turns out that "piece of shit" lap top was actually a quality alienware :facepalm:



:ilold:

Alienware laptops are some of the best and most powerful laptops out there. They've dominated the gaming market with regards to laptops for years now. I guess that might be the reason they were bought over by Dell a while back. If you can afford one and you need the portability then I say go for it. You can be guaranteed the laptop will be future proof and will handle anything you throw at it. The hardware is state of the art and their benchmarks are always top class.  But one thing you should be aware of is the fact that with Alienware, you're paying for the name. It's like when someone goes out and buys themselves a Ferrari. A percentage of their cash is going towards the brand name itself.

Either way, let us know if you end up buying one.



You're definitely right about the Ferrari of the laptop world, it's the best performance but the symbol and light up keyboard that you can pick the motherfucking badass color of is pretty flashy.

Really tough choice. It will be a hassle to get my PC sold on ebay, could take a few weeks. But I really think I should go with it... even though I might be too broke afterwords to afford some stuff so I can grow some shrooms.


--------------------
:durrhurr: Smoke enough weed and you'll never grow up, mentally. Peter Pan strain. :durrhurr:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519542 -

Just put together your own computer, with that kind of money you can make a monster PC

Also you hate it that your computer is starting to slow down but the batteries of a laptop wear out so fast and the moment it starts to overheat it runs annoyingly slow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519549 -

If you think you can afford it then I say go for it. You can guarantee your laptop will still be a good performer a good few years down the line.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: gENERIX]
    #15519567 -

Anyone here check out Asus laptops?  I've got an Asus G71, and I can play the new Assassin's Creed on it, I can play crysis on it, etc.

I think they're lower priced than alienwares too, and personally I like them better than overpriced Dell (alienware).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: Maverick]
    #15519570 -

dumb i know, but i don't think I'd want a laptop called Asus for the same reason I wouldn't get a Pesis or a Sagina.


--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: NWlight]
    #15519588 -

NWlight said:
dumb i know, but i don't think I'd want a laptop called Asus for the same reason I wouldn't get a Pesis or a Sagina.




I'm sorry, but you made zero sense there.  Are you saying the name is odd so you wouldn't buy it?  Ever built a custom PC before?  You'd know that asus is a well respected hardware manufacturer, while alienware is Just a dell, buys parts (PCB boards and such already assembled) from manufacturers (such as asus) and then snaps it together.  Asus actually makes the PCB, boards, etc.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: CrossingTheStar]
    #15519606 -

CrossingTheStar said:
I want to appreciate games on their highest settings with a new screen. So I figure, I may as well get a laptop.



You don't want a laptop then.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: 4runner]
    #15519628 -

anunnakian said:
CrossingTheStar said:
I want to appreciate games on their highest settings with a new screen. So I figure, I may as well get a laptop.



You don't want a laptop then.



lol yes I agree with anunnakian for certain.  Gaming on a laptop is a farce compared to gaming on a well designed PC, You'll never get near full settings on the newest games, do to the amounts of power consumption required, your laptop just can't push out +600watts like your PC can.  At most it'll be around 95-120watts.  My videocard on my desktop probably gobbles more power than my entire G71 laptop.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Alienware Laptops [Re: NWlight]
    #15519639 -

NWlight said:
dumb i know




--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Buying a new laptop(Council Needed!)
( 1 2 all )
2Cents 1,925 33 09/23/11 05:13 PM
by Divinity
* I need a new laptop and I have no idea which brand to get
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Patlal 5,730 62 09/21/13 06:03 PM
by barong
* Alienwares
( 1 2 3 all )
st1llnox 5,206 49 09/21/13 09:25 PM
by teamkiller
* Took my laptop apart toay for the first time musiclover420 516 10 06/22/15 01:04 PM
by r00tuuu123
* Pick a laptop for me...
( 1 2 3 all )
PDU 7,254 57 12/03/08 09:19 PM
by PDU
* Thinking about buying a new laptop *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Pareidolia 1,689 21 08/27/11 12:09 AM
by Pareidolia
* Laptops...
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Awakened1 1,616 73 05/03/16 09:13 PM
by Awakened1
* gaming laptop? TheMovement 745 10 07/02/13 09:03 PM
by Konyap

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,678 topic views. 1 members, 22 guests and 162 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.