Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaugiemolly
bobobonbobobovich
Mushroom compost at Lowes
    #1534436 - 05/09/03 01:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone used it? Bag says 100% with no additives or something to that effect. Feels pretty wet but big ass bag (40lb or x-cu.ft.can't remember) for around $4.00.
I'm probably gonna grab some but thought I'd check before expending the calories to lug that fat thing out to my trunk.
Thanks

--------------------
Listen to the Gourds!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecalicyco

Re: Mushroom compost at Lowes [Re: augiemolly]
    #1534479 - 05/09/03 01:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Does it state its for growing mushrooms, or just called "mushroom compost"? Usually, what they mean by mushroom compost is that its spent compost from a mushroom farm, thats already been broken down by growing mushrooms on it. I doubt Lowes has much of an end user market for actual mushroom compost to grow mushrooms. Which would mean it would most definitely not be ideal for growing mushrooms on it, again.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1534543 - 05/09/03 02:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Once commercial button mushroom cultivators have cropped out their cased compost substrates. They sell that  :frown:SPENT :frown: substrate & casing mix as mushroom compost for garden use.

It is fine for vegetable & flower garden. It is nor fine as a mushroom substrate, having been already used for that, resulting in the most beneficial nutrients for mushroom growth being depleted from it.

Aged leached ranch/farm type horse/cow manure is FAR better.

Bagged manure shitzzz for around the same price as the spent substrate is not much good either. It is not properly composted & most often contains 50% or more wood waste.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlineaugiemolly
bobobonbobobovich
Re: Mushroom compost at Lowes [Re: calicyco]
    #1534575 - 05/09/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

>Does it state its for growing mushrooms, or just called "mushroom compost"?<
No, not for growing mushrooms. It's just sold as a soil additive (I suppose) like composted manure. It looks and smells great but I wasn't sure of it's suitability for part of a substrate mix. I guess it makes sense that if it's just spent mushroom spawn it wouldn't be particularly useful for growing mushrooms.  Hmmmmm....I wonder what the point is in selling "mushroom compost" rather than just mixing it into and selling it as a potting or garden mix, especially when it's so cheap.
Thanks for pointing me towards the obvious as I have a tendency to get sidetracked. :wink: 

--------------------
Listen to the Gourds!!!

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1534693 - 05/09/03 02:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It is a sales ploy. If you can make it look or appear to be better than some competing product, it sells better.

A "hot dog" is a hot dog, yet sold under various brand names, that differ. Some are inexpensive in one wrapper & more expensive in another, even though the same thing is in both wrappers.

Chasing profit is the name of that game.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblevitamink
This weathersucks
Loc: Steers and Queers
Re: Mushroom compost at Lowes [Re: SixTango]
    #1534809 - 05/09/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well....

then where would one be able to find the ACTUAL mushroom compost used for growing? not the spent stuff.....

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: Mushroom compost at Lowes [Re: vitamink]
    #1535072 - 05/09/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

In your compost pile out back :-)

You can find some vendors online here that sell actual mushroom compost, http://www.sporelab.com is one, unfortunately its expensive to ship. The Mushroom Cultivator by Stamets ( http://www.fungi.com )has great instructions for producing good mushroom compost for many varieties of mushrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Ranch Dressing

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation