Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Hitch Hiking
    #15130632 -

Ive been thinking about hitch hiking around the U.S. for awhile now.

Im starting from central california and thinking about just heading east..

I might hop a couple trains for the experience and to speed some days up

Anyone done this before and can offer tips? Thankyou


--------------------
:peace: Things you can do, some can't be done. :peace:
Z-pw
Not everything I say is true.

Edited by Zpw (09/25/11 04:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Zpw]
    #15130716 -

Do not try and hop trains. They will catch you and beat the shit out of you.
Also hitchhiking is illegal

Also why do you want to do it? and to what end?


--------------------
   
I wish to become enlightened, to know bliss, to be a pure expression of joy, to slake my insatiable thirst.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: LustfulLinsanity]
    #15130736 -

Will they really try to harm me if im hopping trains? 

Im pretty sure hitchiking is only illegal in some states,  and thats not going to stop me.

I want to hit the road because I am bored with this area and I want to travel. Ive only been outside of california once and I think it will be a really cool experience.

I also have been inspired but alot of hitchikers and ex hitchers like a few cool ass teachers and just some people ive met over the years.


Im not sure where im going to go or end up. But I know I want to visit wyoming forsure and maybe head towards florida and then newyork? Im not sure.


--------------------
:peace: Things you can do, some can't be done. :peace:
Z-pw
Not everything I say is true.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Zpw]
    #15130847 -

Quote:
Will they really try to harm me if im hopping trains?



the FTRA might, i dont think a conductor would beat you up, but alas who knows, ive never rode a train!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: hidenseek]
    #15130937 -

I never hopped trains myself, but have friends who have. I've been told that it is best to travel with someone who has experience hopping trains the first time or two, if I ever planned to take a trip.

As for hitching, it's a little different in the US than Canada, from what I hear. Up in Canada, as long as you are not standing in a spot hazardous to traffic (generally on/off ramps or highways are a big no), then generally you are fine.

In the US, I think you can expect to be told to 'move along' fairly often. I'd do a basic look over the state hitchhiking laws that you plan to move through, just to be aware of the ground you stand on. It is still definitely possible though.

Simple hitching advice you may already know: look for rides on the edges of towns/cities--gas stations, rest stops, major intersections, or a safe point before major highways are always good bets.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #15131042 -

There is a documentary about this, called Thumbs Up! :thumbup: It's about a korean and a mexican that I would say encounter some pretty weird shit but it's funny as hell to say the least. But they were pretty good, train hoppin was their shit but also the semi-car transporters, the doors of the cars being transported arn't usually locked... Vans would be preferable.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Grungeman17]
    #15131367 -

Yeah Im currently trying to find someone interested in joining me.  I might be waiting a couple months though. Im going up to alaska to work for a couple months and then I will use the money I have saved up to help me get by on my trip.

All im really in need of is someone experienced or willing to join me. I have a friend who has train hopped before and I think she may be interested.  I hope. :cool:


--------------------
:peace: Things you can do, some can't be done. :peace:
Z-pw
Not everything I say is true.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Zpw]
    #15131614 -

hitch hiking? times have changed, but its feasible

train hopping?  you're going to get the shit beat out of you or murdered


--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Deekay]
    #15131730 -

Dude bring a video camera, film a lot of this shit, tell the people you're with you are making a documentary and I bet you are way more likely to get lifts this way! Also, hell it could end up being a cool thing to watch in the future.  Also, don't stab anyone who picks you up that's a no no.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: LustfulLinsanity]
    #15131776 -

LustfulLinsanity said:
Do not try and hop trains. They will catch you and beat the shit out of you.
Also hitchhiking is illegal

Also why do you want to do it? and to what end?



Thats only in the movies, which im sure your basing all your info on instead of first hand knowledge. My family has worked in the train industry for decades and they are definitely not the type to beat up defenseless hobos. Riding trains is a safe great way to get from point A to B. As for hitch hiking I myself would not recommend doing it other than at a festival going to show to show or rainbow to rainbow, other than that no fucking way!! Perfect opportunity for sickos to fuck you up.. Good luck and THINK SMART!!!!


--------------------
SUPPORT M.A.P.S. "MULTIDISCIPLINARY ASSOCATION FOR PSYCHEDELIC STUDIES"

DRUMMING ON THE EDGE OF MADNESS!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Altered States]
    #15131823 -

I've been planning a hitchhiking trip with a friend for a long time now.

I think the plan is to hitch to the coast, and once we reach the beach to dose.

Altered States, I could get lost in your avatar for what feels like hours.


--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Acaterpillar] * 1
    #15132208 -

Ive hitch hiked and hopped trains across America. BC, Canada to Toronto, to NY, to West Virginia, Florida and then zigzagging through the US on trains mostly, back to Seattle.

I've posted extensively about it, probably 6-7 years ago.

Do a search for my name with "train hopping" or "hitch hiking"

Check out digihitch.com forums for a general overview of these topics.

It is true, btw - that if the "bull" aka railroad cop, catches you, he will often beat the shit out of you, or imprison you (for lengthy periods, no less.) Besides that, the FTRA has a large presents (sp?) in the US and they are often considered dangerous to the newbie freight rider.

However, i've met several hobo's in train yards, and a couple workers who helped me with directions, food and water.

Don't fuck around if you don't know what your getting into - but if you know freight riders and can get the basic "how to" of freight riding, i am sure you can be successful. It is very dangerous, no doubt.

BTW, there is an underground document called a crew change which lists where and when trains stop all across america, and even how to get to the pick up spots on transit, etc. GET ONE - you'll have to befriend some dirty train kids.

Also, cops in the US are pricks to vagrants and hitch hikers and you can very well end up in jail, very quick, even hitch hiking in the wrong areas. No hitch hiking signs are very well posted all across America in my experience.

Goodluck on your adventures. I'd recommend doing this in the spring, and in Canada, if i was you.

Heading east from California at the start of Fall. Your nuts.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: PDU]
    #15132249 -

You may not even have to "hitch hike" I was on my way to Vermont one day, and just as I was crossing the New York border into Vermont, I saw this guy ( maybe mid 20's ) walking with a giant ass back pack, so I pulled over and asked if he wanted to use my cell, and he said he was just trying to make it to Canada, no one to call. So I let him get a ride with me as I was going up to Burlington. ( about 94 miles north of where I am now ) Spent 2 hours in the car with that guy, he was really interesting, said he came from Florida, and just wanted a new life in Canada.

If he was some creeper though, I would have never picked him up, but he seemed chill, and content with walking, so I figured I'd help out as far as I could.

As a thank you he offered me a can of pork and beans. :lol:

It's deffinitly possible OP, but I would suggest staying away from the rail-ways. If you get caught, you will either get arrested, or fucked up.


--------------------
IT'S A FISHY!!!!! ----> :fishy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: LustfulLinsanity]
    #15132309 -

I know a lot of railroaders. They aren't going to beat the shit out of you if they catch you. A supervisor or the rail police might arrest you tho.

Listen to this guy he knows:

What is the average rail employee’s opinion about riders?

"Most of the people who actually work on the train–like the engineers, the conductors, brakemen—don’t really have a problem. The ones that have a problem with them are the supervisors and, naturally, the railroad police will have a problem because they’re paid to. Some will tell you though straight up that they don’t have a problem with what you kids do, but this my job. So if you screw with our trains I have to do something about it. Point is, don’t let me catch you."

http://wordonthestreetnewyork.com/2011/01/24/whats-that-about-hopping-trains-22/


--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Kada]
    #15132872 -

protip: only ride junkers, ie. trains with a bunch of different cars on them, not only 1 kind of car (ie. grain, coal, etc.)

i was riding a coal train and ended up in a freaking coal mine in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere.

i eventually got caught and the dude gave me a ride out to the highway.

protip: if your car gets disconnected from the engine, get out and get on another line.

protip: if riding a boxcar, make sure you jam the door right.

a friend and i were riding a boxcar and our car got disconnected, then the yard sent some other cars to connect onto it, via a large hill and crashing into it. the crashing caused the spike to jam in the door and we were towed out to the middle of a field. we spent (luckily) 2 hours yelling at these migrant workers to let us out, then hiked some 30 miles to town.

all in all, you better know your shit before you start riding.


--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #15134210 -

Thanks for all the information guys! I really appreciate it.

  Im going to leave in late january or mid febuary actually.

I am going to alaska in less than a month to work for awhile and get like $7-9k put most in the bank and hit the road.

Im excited, I wish it could happen sooner.

My only problem is to find someone interested in going with me, the one girl that would have went isn't too fond of me anymore.

My only fear of hopping trains is ending up in the middle of nowhere, like a coal mine  :lol:

Also would it be safe to take along some marijuana? :stoned:


--------------------
:peace: Things you can do, some can't be done. :peace:
Z-pw
Not everything I say is true.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Zpw]
    #15134237 -

i know a bunch of punks that live in a punkhosue who take unused box wine out of dumpsters that is past the xperation date or something and go train hopping and get drunk


--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Sheekle]
    #15134305 -

Sounds fun :] but im doing it just to travel mostly. But ofcourse I will be intoxicated along the way :laugh:


--------------------
:peace: Things you can do, some can't be done. :peace:
Z-pw
Not everything I say is true.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Zpw]
    #15134419 -

Zpw said:
Also would it be safe to take along some marijuana? :stoned:



You mean you can hitch hike and hop trains...without being stoned?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hitch Hiking [Re: Shroomerited]
    #15134440 -

Shroomerited said:
Zpw said:
Also would it be safe to take along some marijuana? :stoned:



You mean you can hitch hike and hop trains...without being stoned?





Hahaha well I'm pretty damn dedicated to leave. and I think its a must to be on my toes while hopping. But I figure I will be running into alot of cops and I dont want my trip to end before it even starts :ooo:


--------------------
:peace: Things you can do, some can't be done. :peace:
Z-pw
Not everything I say is true.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Hitch-hiking WornTraveler 1,137 13 07/03/08 04:34 PM
by mathewww
* Thinking about hitch hiking krypto2000 940 13 05/19/09 05:34 PM
by boletusoftruth
* Any advice on hitch hiking? RasJeph 583 10 06/05/11 02:00 PM
by PDU
* my first hitch hike... and i get hit on by a queer!!! lexmark 715 15 09/20/08 07:32 PM
by zorbman
* hitch hikeing xxxchristian69 981 11 01/23/07 01:30 PM
by PDU
* UNBELIEVABLE hitch-hiking experience.
( 1 2 all )
tiny_rabid_birds 2,034 20 06/30/10 03:52 PM
by bleedglory
* Hitch Hiking Journey *DELETED* AcidTG 623 9 03/12/11 12:51 PM
by Hakim0777
* i picked up my first hitchhiker tonight. tiny_rabid_birds 1,276 15 06/21/09 02:35 AM
by I AM SWIM

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,123 topic views. 5 members, 16 guests and 73 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 18 queries.