Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleyeti
Stranger

casing sterilzation
    #1511341 - 05/01/03 12:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My friend is looking for some opinions on sterilizing casing, as it's his first time and doesn't want to screw up. He's read the FAQ but still has some questions (did he miss something?). He's planning on using a 50/50 mix and a half dozen aluminum loaf pans.

He doesn't want to buy any more stuff. So he's asking for your opinions or ideas on the best way to sterilize casing with the available material (he has a pressure canner).

The only specific info I found was for sterilizing via microwave (for plastic containers) and something about PC'ing the substrate in a bag. It said that if you don't have the special bag for this purpose, you can get by with the one the vermiculite came in, but I don't really trust that. Thickness varies and the bag could still melt, right?

So I was thinking about the following options:

1. Filling a couple of pans with substrate (whatever fits in the PC), covering with foil, cooking in the PC (whatever fits). How long and what PSI would be recommended?

2. Foil-covered pans in an oven, along with a pyrex dish filled with water to minimize moisture loss. How hot? How long?

3. Screw it... just find some thick bag and just put the half gallon or so of substrate in it and PC it. How long? What PSI?

And how important is this gas exchange during sterilization anyway?

Thanks...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
Re: casing sterilzation [Re: yeti]
    #1511452 - 05/01/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think you need to sterilize your substrate man, once you take it out of the jars, just put it in the bottom of the casing.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: casing sterilzation [Re: Dank420]
    #1511685 - 05/01/03 02:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Try getting the substrate mixed up, add a bit more water(so it's wet, not moist *g*). Put the substrate into a cake pan cover with alum foil and bake at 300 degrees for an hour and a half

Works for my friend
jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate