Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
New Opeth album...
    #15016739 -

For those of you who listen to Opeth (they are my favorite band ever), you probably know they have a new album coming out called Heritage.  Now, this awill be the first album by Opeth to not feature death metal growls, just clean singing.  Now don't get me wrong, anyone who truly understands Opeth loves both their heavy metal songs as well as the soft acoustic ballads.  And the first single, The Devil's Orchard, is really quite good.  However, I am disappointed that there will be no death growls.  The best part about Opeth was how they could go from being mind-numbingly brutal and heavy one minute then soft and beautiful the next.  I have no doubt the album will be good though, I just want to hear other fans opinions.  Will you guys miss the death metal aspect of the band as much as I will?


--------------------
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Sharktasm]
    #15018522 -



--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Sharktasm]
    #15020299 -

Sharktasm said:
Will you guys miss the death metal aspect of the band as much as I will?



No.  I think Damnation is great and they've explored plenty of ground with albums that have harsher vocals, which I love however  I like it when bands grow and explore new stuff.  I think their new one could be pretty sweet but Devil's orchard just left me unexcited.  It is the first single, which usually aren't the best imo, though I think in it's proper place in the whole piece it will line up better for me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: donteatasians]
    #15020330 -

I didn't think there were any growls in Damnation.

I love Opeth. One of my favorites bands as well. I'm stoked to get this album but I too love the growls. I guess we'll see. When I first got Watershed I was a little disappointed but a week later it blew me away. Hoping for the best :smile:


--------------------
My Old Grow Logs


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Wing]
    #15020365 -

winged_1 said:
I didn't think there were any growls in Damnation.

I love Opeth. One of my favorites bands as well. I'm stoked to get this album but I too love the growls. I guess we'll see. When I first got Watershed I was a little disappointed but a week later it blew me away. Hoping for the best :smile:



Maybe I should give a go then.  I heard it a time or two when it came out and just didn't see any reason to bother getting it.  First time that happened :sad:  I had heard they had Heritage coming and wasn't even interested until I heard a few folks spazzing about how it was supposed to different for them, that seemed like a good sign to me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: donteatasians]
    #15020832 -

I liked it. I wasn't expecting much after the atrocity that was The Throat of Winter, and Watershed itself being fairly poor, but I think they did a pretty decent job. Some of the lyrics are horrendous by any measure, though (including the "God is deaaadddd" coda on The Devil's Orchard.) The worst is "The pain | In your brain | Insane." Come on, Mike! You used to write good lyrics...

My favorite tracks are the third, which I forget the name of, Haxprocess, and the last three. There's good moments on all of the songs, actually, but some of them are ruined by a complete lack of direction, wanky riffs and solos, and Opeth's characteristic musical schizophrenia... The production is pretty bad, too. The worst, I'd say, is possibly Famine, which is a shame because I really like some of the parts on it. That disharmonic guitar riff and the higher-vocals are horrendous and it's just completely meandering.

I feel like MIke needs a buddy to listen to his stuff be like "Ok man, this part is cool and this part works but what the fuck was with this, and this line sucked," etc. I know that Mike thinks that sticking to classic song structures is a bad thing but if you're going to try to be avant garde, at least think of some sort of purpose, destination, and resolution! 

And the cover is... ugh.

OH, and I personally don't miss the metal at all. I LOVE Opeth's metal during their prime but on Watershed, and even Ghost Reveries, it all felt forced and unnatural. Mike's a progger through and through. He hasn't listened to metal since he was a kid. So let him write what he likes, and what he's passionate about. It's a shame that they "wasted" their new guitarist and drummer on metal musicians, though. Had they known beforehand that they were going to be going completely off the grid, metalwise, then they should have gotten some more prog-minded musicians. I thought that Axe's drumming was good on the new album, though.


--------------------
(Psycho Active) Drug Experiences:

Caffeine, Chocolate, Kava Kava, Alcohol, Cannabis, Psilocybin/Psilocin (Psilocybe Cubensis,) DXM, Salvia Divinorum.

Wants to try:

DMT, Ayahuasca, LSD, Mescaline, & (possibly) MDMA.

Edited by River Man (09/03/11 01:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: River Man]
    #15020865 -

River Man said:
I liked it. I wasn't expecting much after the atrocity that was The Throat of Winter, and Watershed itself being fairly poor, but I think they did a pretty decent job. Some of the lyrics are horrendous by any measure, though (including the "God is deaaadddd" coda on The Devil's Orchard.) The worst is "The pain | In your brain | Insane." Come on, Mike! You used to write good lyrics...

My favorite tracks are the third, which I forget the name of, Haxprocess, and the last three. There's good moments on all of the songs, actually, but some of them are ruined by a complete lack of direction, wanky riffs and solos, and Opeth's characteristic musical schizophrenia... The production is pretty bad, too. The worst, I'd say, is possibly Famine, which is a shame because I really like some of the parts on it. That disharmonic guitar riff and the higher-vocals are horrendous and it's just completely meandering.

I feel like MIke needs a buddy to listen to his stuff be like "Ok man, this part is cool and this part works but what the fuck was with this, and this line sucked," etc. I know that Mike thinks that sticking to classic song structures is a bad thing but if you're going to try to be avant garde, at least think of some sort of purpose, destination, and resolution! 

And the cover is... ugh.



I thought it might of just been me, every other piece of theirs feels cohesive, and the lack of that was my biggest complaint.  I don't care how great a single portion is if it doesn't meld well.  I listened to some of it again and am still left with; it's allright but nothing I'd every really crave.

Are you talking about watersheds cover or the new one.  I though the same thing about watersheds but really like the new one.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: donteatasians]
    #15020936 -

I meant the new cover. I really don't like it.


--------------------
(Psycho Active) Drug Experiences:

Caffeine, Chocolate, Kava Kava, Alcohol, Cannabis, Psilocybin/Psilocin (Psilocybe Cubensis,) DXM, Salvia Divinorum.

Wants to try:

DMT, Ayahuasca, LSD, Mescaline, & (possibly) MDMA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: River Man]
    #15020961 -

It reminds me of Clice Barker's Coldheart Canyon: A Hollywood Ghost Story
There is a place in the story called "the devils country" that you expirience through a mural covering a room, it was the first thing it brought to mind for me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: donteatasians]
    #15025106 -

Interesting review here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=513734

I agree with most of it, though I don't think it's as bad as he made it out to be.


--------------------
(Psycho Active) Drug Experiences:

Caffeine, Chocolate, Kava Kava, Alcohol, Cannabis, Psilocybin/Psilocin (Psilocybe Cubensis,) DXM, Salvia Divinorum.

Wants to try:

DMT, Ayahuasca, LSD, Mescaline, & (possibly) MDMA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: River Man]
    #15025258 -

i havnt heard any other songs from the album yet im going to see them in NYC actually on Sept 22, it will be my 3rd time seeing them.  I do like Damnation, its beautiful, and though i do feel Heritage will be a great album, it probably wont be one of my favorites.  Im a metalhead at heart, and i love alot of different genres of music.  Idk, I'll just have to see how the rest of the album is.  But Opeth will always be my favorite band, theyre geniuses in my opinion, always have been, always will be.  I cant wait to get the signature "O" tattooed on my arm.

OPETH FOR LIFE! \m/


--------------------
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Sharktasm]
    #15025264 -

I smoked DMT for the first time to "The Moor", of the Still Life album.  Omfg I died haha.


--------------------
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: River Man]
    #15025272 -

The review is a little harsh. I've listened to it. It is a hard listen lol I'll probably listen a few times before I really have an opinion.

Look up OpethLands channel on youtube. The whole album is on there to familiarize yourself with some songs before you see them. I'm jealous. I've seen them twice but I don't think I'll be able to see them this time around.


--------------------
My Old Grow Logs


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Wing]
    #15025306 -

I've seen them 4 times and I'm seeing them again because they're touring with Katatonia, who are also amazing!


--------------------
(Psycho Active) Drug Experiences:

Caffeine, Chocolate, Kava Kava, Alcohol, Cannabis, Psilocybin/Psilocin (Psilocybe Cubensis,) DXM, Salvia Divinorum.

Wants to try:

DMT, Ayahuasca, LSD, Mescaline, & (possibly) MDMA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Wing]
    #15025329 -

I know every single one of their songs and albums and all their history and everything.  Goddamn I love em so much.  It's kinda an acquired taste, but not really, because every single person I've showed the band to likes em.  You don't have to really even like death metal to like Opeth.

And  fuck yes, I'm seeing them & Katatonia as well in 3 weeks.  Gonna be sick as all hell!


--------------------
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Sharktasm]
    #15025340 -

It's funny cuz people that really love them are DIE HARD fucking fans. I listen mostly to them and have since like 2001.


--------------------
My Old Grow Logs


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Wing]
    #15025350 -

Yea Ima straight up die hard fan, and yo thanks for the like to the Heritage album, Im gona listen to it right now!


--------------------
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Sharktasm]
    #15025474 -

"I feel the dark" is by far my favorite song on the album


--------------------
My Old Grow Logs


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Wing]
    #15025490 -



--------------------
My Old Grow Logs


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Opeth album... [Re: Wing]
    #15025492 -

Yeah I Feel the Dark is by far the best.


--------------------
(Psycho Active) Drug Experiences:

Caffeine, Chocolate, Kava Kava, Alcohol, Cannabis, Psilocybin/Psilocin (Psilocybe Cubensis,) DXM, Salvia Divinorum.

Wants to try:

DMT, Ayahuasca, LSD, Mescaline, & (possibly) MDMA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* New Opeth Album Penguarky Tunguin 1,141 16 10/12/05 04:50 AM
by DirtMcgirt
* Favorite Opeth Album? ShroomismM 1,092 17 02/09/06 08:13 PM
by WeAreAllOne
* Opeth - Watershed Conservationist 1,137 9 06/08/08 01:46 PM
by Shroomism
* Album(s) that changed your life
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
silversoul7 14,613 84 12/09/08 03:57 PM
by Grav
* Bad News for Opeth Fans Penguarky Tunguin 2,547 19 05/28/06 10:18 PM
by MadSeasonAbove
* Favorite Album of 2008? skunkape 1,252 17 09/04/08 12:32 AM
by jewunit
* Best metal albums of 2008 Conservationist 2,091 15 07/06/09 02:03 AM
by seanstermonster
* Attention Opeth Fans Harbinger 982 7 03/16/05 08:54 PM
by DirtMcgirt

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
1,847 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.