Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
I need some professional chef's advice on Cod
    #15003862 -

I was so amped up to try this recipe today.  It's a simple pan fried cod fillet with sauce vierge.


So there I am, a bed of beautiful sauce vierge made with fresh san marzanos and basil, and just having pan fried my cod fillet to near perfection.


And low and behold, I find 4-5 round worms deep in the fillet of fish.  Needless to say I was in shock, completely grossed ou, and I threw the whole plate of food out. 


This really pissed me off.  I had no idea there would be worms in my fillet.  It made me totally lose my appetite.




I need to know a couple things.  Firstly, how common is this?


Secondly, are there specific fish mongers I can rely on, who will look out for these things and make sure theres no worms in the fillets?  I know candle lighting can be somewhat tedious but fuck man, I am definitely NOT going back to my fish monger after this fucking incident. 


I need details.  Is this just a widely accepted liability of buying cod?  It bothers me tremendously because cod is easily one of my favorite fishes to eat.  And i JUST started getting into cooking it when something like THIS happens...


--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #15003925 -

First, where did you get the fish from!?

Second, you are positive they were worms?  I've only seen that one time ever in any fish, so chances are yes, you just happened to get one with parasites.  It's kinda rare if you are buying from a reputable supplier, but if it's out in a fish market you roll the dice on these things.

Generally though, this is not a common thing at all, and especially since cod is one of the most widely sold fish, Id say you just had a strange first experience, but it's nothing that should discourage you!


--------------------
Because in this life we learn
When we play with fire we'll get burned
And the louder that we scream
The less that we'll be heard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: Doobalicious]
    #15003987 -

No offense, but I don't think you're very experienced with cooking cod.  Because it's known to be somewhat common.  And yes they're nematodes.



I need advice from a well versed fish cooker, monger, or fisherman, or chef.  It was atlantic cod btw.


--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #15004059 -

None taken, and I was a professional chef for a long time.  Admittedly been out of the game for a bit, just trying to help though.  Although, Ive cooked cod quite a bit, and never had that issue, so I guess I just learned something new!


--------------------
Because in this life we learn
When we play with fire we'll get burned
And the louder that we scream
The less that we'll be heard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #15004302 -

Happens in salmon and monkfish a lot too. I personally have never seen one in a cod...but I dont eat very much cod myself. you should branch out and get some Tilefish or something.


--------------------
:greys:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #15004683 -

Truthfully Liquid, I have not seen parasites in Cod. They are very very common in swordfish and shark and I tend to stay away from those fish (I'm not a big fan of them anyway)

It all depends where the fish is being harvested/farmed. Do you know if this was wild caught cod? farmed fish have much higher rates of parasites since they are kept in large pens where the water quality can deteriorate very quickly (fish poop, algae, etc.)

I usually buy my fish from one of the large Asian supermarkets in my area (H mart, grandmart, Lotte) and never had parasite problems, always buy fresh fish from a busy place that has a high turnover, and a quick chat with the person behind the counter will usually tip you off as to the quality of the fish they keep (sounds knowledgable, good sign; gives you blank stare, go somewhere else.) Most small freestanding fish shops are actually very good, though they are almost always more expensive, but I guess in your case, expense was wasted regardless.

With cod, make sure the flesh is firm and translucent, a mushy, easily broken opaque flesh is a sign of age or adulterants (like bleach or peroxide to mask the smell of protein degradation) cod should also be a little slimy on the skin too, if it looks dried out, stay away. And always give your fish a good smell before buying. If it doesn't have a clean ocean iodine smell, stay away!
also if you can, try to go for scrod, a smaller sized cod which you can buy whole and fillet yourself, buying whole is always better (as you can see the whole state of the fish like the gills and eyes to check for freshness, and its more economical)


I will never forget the ONE time I went into a Bloom grocery store. I walked in and was punched in the face by the smell of bad fish and bleach, you could literally smell it throughout the entire store. I've never been to another Bloom since.


--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Edited by soochi (08/31/11 02:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: soochi]
    #15005006 -

Yeah it's wild cod, and it was pretty fresh.  I always stick my nose into a fillet that I buy and give it a good feel.  I had specifically gone to this one fish monger because the cod appeared to be fresher and of higher quality than the other shops I had compared it with.


But as you described, it was a bit softer, "mushier" you could say.  After I had cooked the fillet it was flaking apart just from the heat.  I think that could be a sign of an older adult fish. 


I was also told that the worms occur more often during summer.  This was such a disturbing experience for me. 



I just really wish I could avoid experiencing this ever again.  It was just so fucking disturbing.  You could still see the circulator system of the worms, their own arteries...


fuck it turned me off to cooking cod so badly.


--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #15005564 -

All fish are susceptible to having parasites, with some species to varying degrees. I bought a monkfish earlier this year and saw some parasites as well, and it came from H-Mart. They're probably Anisakis nematodes. That being said, you can freeze the fish at cold temperatures to kill them or cook it to 140F for 1 minute or 145F for 15 seconds. Anisakiasis is not pleasant if you get infected. I don't think you should blame the fish monger, because if they are infected, they're been living in the flesh of the fish for quite some time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: daussaulit]
    #15005587 -

I'm not sure about US legislation, but I know that all the fish sold here in Europe has been frozen for exactly this reason. That includes 'fresh' fish.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: koraks]
    #15005615 -

:archiebunker: you can't buy fresh fish in Europe?


--------------------
:greys:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: greys]
    #15005671 -

Well, you can, but not in the shops. At least, not officially. Note that it's still marketed as 'fresh', while in fact, it's been frozen and then thawed. I'm not sure what the scope of this legislation is in terms of species; e.g. shellfish can be sold fresh.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: koraks]
    #15005916 -

ok, I thought you were saying all fish in europe are sold frozen.


--------------------
:greys:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: greys]
    #15006039 -

Yeah i know its kind of seen in salmon as well, but I haven't had that same incident with salmon, which I cook pretty often.



I just want to know if anyone has information on the prevalance, if I should even bother cooking cod again if theres a high chance of getting worms again.


--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: greys]
    #15006078 -

greysRDbest said:
ok, I thought you were saying all fish in europe are sold frozen.



Oh no, you can certainly buy 'fresh' fish all over Europe. It's just that it's been frozen at some point. Which is completely fine by me; it doesn't disturb the texture or anything.

@LS: I haven't encountered this, but I'm not a professional chef. I eat fish regularly, but haven't come across anything with nematodes in it. Well, not that I noticed, in any case :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: koraks]
    #15006113 -

yes this is true, it's frozen for 24 hours and then thawed...this is why there really isn't an issue for pregnant women to eat sushi at restaurants and such (of course not shellfish if it's raw) when advised by national health care (ps - i'm not preggors just know this info)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: boO]
    #15006119 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: boO]
    #15006860 -

yeah those exactly.


there were like 4-5 of them in my cod fillet.  And the cod was of a good fresh quality.


--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #15007754 -

crap happens. you should see the red worms in the Lake Perch they serve in all the taverns and mom and pop restaurants here.

I wont touch the stuff.:argh:


--------------------
:greys:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: soochi]
    #15009029 -

soochi said:
I will never forget the ONE time I went into a Bloom grocery store. I walked in and was punched in the face by the smell of bad fish and bleach, you could literally smell it throughout the entire store. I've never been to another Bloom since.



Gene Tyner's in Atlanta, thankfully they're out of business but I remember my
mom buying a roast, the top looked beautiful but when she opened the pack the
bottom side was covered in maggots and the meat wreaked of formaldehyde

I've never had an experience with finding parasites in fish,, out here I dont
buy much, in atlanta I went to a couple of specialty suppliers, and the asian
markets. everything was fresher and cheaper

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some professional chef's advice on Cod [Re: koraks]
    #15009064 -

koraks said:
Well, you can, but not in the shops. At least, not officially. Note that it's still marketed as 'fresh', while in fact, it's been frozen and then thawed. I'm not sure what the scope of this legislation is in terms of species; e.g. shellfish can be sold fresh.




flash frozen fish is really common here and still sold as fresh, many boats
are equipped with freezers for doing this now

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Sporeworks.EU Shop: Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Any Professional Chefs out there?
( 1 2 all )
ChopperDave 5,830 35 01/09/05 01:47 AM
by mecreateme
* "Iron Chef" my fridge please
( 1 2 all )
LiquidSmoke 4,161 28 09/05/05 01:08 AM
by Smushroom
* Greek-style roast cod mr_kite 661 1 01/16/07 03:54 PM
by MistaUNGA
* Any Chefs? eve69 1,705 10 01/19/07 12:59 AM
by Brainiac
* Hippy Chefs of the world Unite............
( 1 2 all )
A3eyedfish 4,145 20 04/02/06 08:30 PM
by A3eyedfish
* Top Chef Finale soochi 1,563 15 02/02/07 10:56 AM
by snoot
* wow did anyone see last night's iron chef? LiquidSmoke 1,206 3 01/28/07 12:31 AM
by LiquidSmoke
* baked fish the man 1,587 13 06/17/04 11:43 PM
by 2Experimental

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
2,529 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 18 queries.