Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
smartphones, data plans, and tethering
    #14569692 -

I'm considering finally upgrading to a modern smartphone, with a data plan, so I can administer Adwords accounts and such when out of town. I went down to the AT&T store today to find out what I can get.

They don't offer unlimited data anymore; it's $15 for 200mb a month, $25 for 2gb, or $45 for 4gb, and you have to get the 4gb plan for tethering. I'm pretty interested in tethering, since I may get a laptop in the future.

Their website and salespeople are all pretty confused/confusing about the terms, so I have some questions for anyone here who knows:

If I were to get the 2gb plan and a phone capable of tethering, would they be able to stop me from doing it?

If I got a laptop and the USB 4G antenna for it, would I be able to share a data plan that I also use for my phone?

Edit: I'm perfectly open to switching away from AT&T, so if you know of better/cheaper data plans from another carrier, please enlighten me. I'll probably add more questions to this thread as I think of them.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Edited by supercollider (06/06/11 02:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: smartphones, data plans, and tethering [Re: supercollider]
    #14569898 -

you can certainly tether without a tethering plan if you're using a rooted or jailbroken phone, however, if they caught you/decided to pursue it, they'd probably charge you full price of data without a plan (something like $3/mb) for the data that you tethered... which could easily become a nightmare.

Quote:
If I got a laptop and the USB 4G antenna for it, would I be able to share a data plan that I also use for my phone?
 



no, you're going to need to tether from your phone to your pc via wifi/usb/bluetooth or pay a separate plan for each of them.

maybe you could look into t-mobile, they certainly cheaper plans with unlimited data (i believe at least last time i looked) - if and when they're acquired by at&t, i'd suspect they'd at least honor the contract you have for its duration or possibly grandfather you in to an unlimited data plan :shrug:  also, tmobile has even cheaper plans if you flat out own their phones, they dropped mentioning these to simplify their website (or some nonsense) but i believe you can still learn more about it in their stores.  maybe you could find a decent smartphone on craigslist and get a real cheap plan that way.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: smartphones, data plans, and tethering [Re: supercollider]
    #14570204 -

I'd shop around...

Also, for whatever reason, Best Buy was offering $35 for 2GB via AT&T through a mifi device even though AT&T would only offer 4GB plans in their stores.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: smartphones, data plans, and tethering [Re: Seuss]
    #14571369 -

I think Sprint is $79.99/month with unlimited data. (I'm on an older plan for $69.99).  A rooted phone can easily tether.  I do it every time I travel in the airport (which, admittedly is only 1-2 times a year).


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: smartphones, data plans, and tethering [Re: badchad]
    #14571415 -

PDANet supposedly allows you to tether without being sent the texts from AT&T.  I use MyWI for my jailbroken iPhone 4 and didn't have prior unlimited so had to get 2 GiB plan.  When I'm on campus (commuter) and I want to eat lunch or really study in quiet I'll sit in my truck and tether to my iPhone and I haven't received anything since they started doing it. 

Lately I haven't read up on whether or not people have figured out how AT&T knows people tether, but the general consensus is it happens to people with unlimited plans that abuse the SHIT out of it.  I mean ABUSE... I have 50 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 cable internet so I only use 3G bullshit when it's necessary, but a lot of people will use 50-100 gigs of data with unlimited.  That is obviously tethered, because wtf could you do on an iPhone with that much data? 

If you need more than 2 gigs I'd not go with AT&T.  They're corporate fuckwads that change service packages all the time (U-Verse internet cap wtf?) and pretty much all of their contracts have a line in them somewhere that says they'll butt-fuck you if you want out of the contract, but they can butt-fuck you whenever they want without you being able to do anything about it. 

Sadly, I get the best reception from them where I normally am on a daily basis and I'm a douche that always wants a new phone and I renew my contract.  :facepalm:


--------------------


Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: smartphones, data plans, and tethering [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #14585417 -

I like t-mobile too. I have unlimited including tethering without a rooted phone, runs about $65 a month with minutes/unlim texts (but I'm on a family plan).

For a little while I thought they were capping my data because I used like 10gb's in a month, but I called them and they said it was an issue with their tower in the area. The next week a rep showed up at my house unnanounced and told me they just installed a new dish and he wanted to make sure I was all set. Then they credited my account for the downtime and gave me a new sim card for free. Pretty sweet customer service...sucks they're gettin bought out

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: smartphones, data plans, and tethering [Re: JT]
    #14585625 -

Quote:
I like t-mobile too. I have unlimited including tethering without a rooted phone, runs about $65 a month with minutes/unlim texts (but I'm on a family plan).

For a little while I thought they were capping my data because I used like 10gb's in a month, but I called them and they said it was an issue with their tower in the area. The next week a rep showed up at my house unnanounced and told me they just installed a new dish and he wanted to make sure I was all set. Then they credited my account for the downtime and gave me a new sim card for free. Pretty sweet customer service...sucks they're gettin bought out



yah, i was really eager to go with tmobile when my contract was up with verizon, but now with the att merger, i'm not so sure.  i originally chose verizon because they have immense data coverage but in reality 99% of the time i'm traveling from one bigger city to another where that's not much of an issue.  oh wellz, i'll probably stick with verizon now.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Unlimited, Free Wireless Internet From Anywhere Vvellum 2,687 10 12/03/04 01:43 PM
by learning_byte
* Smartphones
( 1 2 3 all )
Silversoul 3,563 56 04/03/10 04:02 PM
by kake
* Verizon: Smartphone without data plan? fazdazzle 1,699 5 06/02/11 08:18 PM
by DieCommie
* tethering android to mac CosmicJokeM 811 7 08/26/10 11:25 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Can you get download manager type programs for UPLOADING data? OJK 704 5 02/06/06 05:39 PM
by OJK
* tethered modem ShroomerSharp 557 1 09/04/08 01:11 AM
by zouden
* Transmitting data to a moving vehicle -- Wardriving, basically
( 1 2 3 all )
Baby_Hitler 4,359 40 06/02/05 05:00 PM
by Baby_Hitler
* Can anyone recommend some data recovery software? OJK 787 5 06/13/06 08:06 AM
by OJK

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
618 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 12 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.