Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
tethering android to mac
    #13066061 -

so starting this weekend until sometime shortly after i take possesion of my rental house on the first of september, i'll be w/o an ISP.  what's the best way to tether my htc incredible to my mbp?  i d/l PdaNet, and it seems to work well enough, but it's only a trial and i'd rather not spend $30 if there's a better alternative.  little too distracted to experiment w/ the other couple alternatives atm, so i figured i'd ask for some input.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #13093141 -

for the record, in case anyone finds themselves in my situation, i found that the best solution was to root my phone w/ unrevoked and use a free app called "wireless tether"... it needs no software for os x, while running the app on your phone, your computer will recognize your phone as a wireless network.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #13097754 -

Hmm, not sure about  the incredible - I have the nexus one running 2.2 froyo...which has stock android USB tether/wifi hotspot built in - I assume you can jam 2.2 on a rooted incredible?  If not, 30 bucks is prolly worth it..I bought it for the iphone years back, works pretty well..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: Boom]
    #13097941 -

well, i'm running 2.2 now (wasn't then) but found a free wireless tether app for rooted phones... which i'll take my chances w/, as opposed to paying an addition $30 or w/e it is a month to use the wifi hotspot in the phone's settings...


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #13101693 -

Pirate an app called "Easy tether" 

The free version of PDA net sucks because it wont let you access sites you log into like gmail, or facebook, or bank accounts etc.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: rodfarva]
    #13101952 -

got it all worked out man, there's a free app for rooted phones called wireless tether, which is nice as i have several laptops, not all of which have bluetooth, and often i don't remember to take my usb cable w/ me.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #13106654 -

CosmicJoke said:
got it all worked out man, there's a free app for rooted phones called wireless tether, which is nice as i have several laptops, not all of which have bluetooth, and often i don't remember to take my usb cable w/ me.



Yup.  Use it myself.  I haven't screwed with the security settings though.  Last time I ran it in an airport I had like 8 people on my network in 10 min.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tethering android to mac [Re: badchad]
    #13107929 -

all you do is enable it and enter a passphrase


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. The Phleg 731 6 01/08/12 02:26 PM
by koraks
* why does my android phone keep crashing? CLIT 2,375 4 05/25/13 04:33 PM
by cokane
* best tethering software app? CLIT 211 1 06/25/16 08:29 PM
by iateshaggy
* tethering mobile phone as modem for free internet access
( 1 2 all )
velvetmagician 1,970 23 12/27/11 02:42 PM
by koraks
* Anyone use Android? 5hadow12ogue 855 5 02/04/12 10:49 PM
by Baby_Hitler
* XFinity WiFi Hotspots... micro 674 9 11/03/15 04:08 PM
by Sun King
* tethering a cellphones to a tablet TheDrake 384 5 12/15/15 07:33 PM
by iateshaggy
* New Android Device DF2K 817 7 04/30/12 06:41 AM
by cokane

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
811 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.