Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB.
    #15632547 -

Just felt like posting up a few of my discoveries.

My phone:

Model: LG-VM670
Service: Virgin Mobile (pay-as-you-go: $25/month)
Data: Unlimited

Android Version: 2.3.4
Kernel Version (rooted): 2.6.32.33-aospCMod

Apps:
Wireless Tether (root)
Easy Tether (no root)

I've found that the rooted wifi app lets me do more than the usb app. With Wifi tether I am able to log in to many sites that don't normally go through due to (I think) the phone thinking I want the mobile web page, and then trying to send the mobile web page to my computer. The wifi also allows things like flash to go through, so things like tiny chat can be accessed. I've also noticed torrents (yes I'll take the risk) actually work at full speed when using the wifi. With USB they tend to not get as many peers or not work at all.

To sum it up.

Things that work/work better using a rooted wifi connection:
Access actual web pages instead of mobile web pages
Access Flash (tinychat)
Full speed torrents
Play LoL
Play on XBox Live


--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. [Re: The Phleg]
    #15632575 -

Ive seen people with these tethering problems recently, sounds like a PITA.  Personally, I wouldnt buy a phone if you cant turn it into a hotspot.  With every phone I have had its as easy as turning on the wifi hotspot and you have wifi.  :shrug:

I wonder were you find your $25 plan?  Were you grandfathered in?  Because all I see is a $35 plan.

I pay $30/month for unlimited data through T-Mobile.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. [Re: DieCommie]
    #15632610 -

When I was signing up for it on the website it showed the $30/35 (or whatever price) option, then underneath it had a box "dont see your plan? click here". The $25 option was hidden! Those mother fuckers! :mad2: It's practically the same deal the pricier ones. Maybe they were double the minutes for talk? I didn't care.

But yeah, I pay $25/month for unlimited 3G data, 300 minutes talk, unlimited text. No contract or anything. :bender:


--------------------
You wanna get high? Drink tap water.
--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. [Re: The Phleg]
    #15632624 -

Yea, I dont understand why people get those expensive plans where you are locked in for years... Is it just because they cant afford the phone and need to get it subsidized?  Big rip off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. [Re: DieCommie]
    #15633548 -

DieCommie said:
Is it just because they cant afford the phone and need to get it subsidized?



Probably. That's the usual solution around here as well. It's common to see teenagers sport a wicked little Blackberry phone while hauling around a $70/month subscription for several years to pay for it :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. [Re: koraks]
    #15634677 -

Are you for srs I could play LoL on top of a mountain?

Can you hack an LG into a satellite dish to get more bandwidth?

Edited by teknix (01/08/12 12:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 3G Tethering: Wifi vs USB. [Re: teknix]
    #15635183 -

teknix said:
Can you hack an LG into a satellite dish to get more bandwidth?



No. An LG isn't capable of communicating with a satellite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* tethering android to mac CosmicJokeM 811 7 08/26/10 11:25 PM
by CosmicJoke
* wifi cards frith 654 9 02/02/10 02:00 PM
by frith
* I Have a Tech Question About WiFi
( 1 2 all )
blueberry d 3,563 28 11/12/08 06:00 PM
by supra
* Wifi question... Gumby 1,110 9 07/16/08 03:51 AM
by Seuss
* turn wifi antenna into router drSE 695 3 05/04/09 12:04 AM
by abetterlie
* a warrning about broadcom wifi for linux users arainbow 684 12 09/02/09 09:39 AM
by tak
* Wifi question. LuNaTiX 526 4 05/03/09 01:29 PM
by sherm
* wifi question Rebirtha 199 0 01/14/11 11:14 AM
by Rebirtha

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
731 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.