Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
wifi cards
    #11932015 -

thought id post this here incase anyone missed it in the marketplace..

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11931732


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: frith]
    #11932698 -

I wanted to ask...

what are you doing to stream 1080p?


--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.


Download PSX ISOs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #11932760 -

currently the 1080p video i have has been downloaded. i might get a bluray drive with my tax return.. not sure yet. if i do ill be ripping bluray discs.

i store my movies on a file server thats sitting in the closet. it shares the files via NFS to the computer in the living room.

the file server has about 2.5TB of storage and the one in the living room has only 500GB so it can store tv shows.

the file server has no monitor connected to it. i do everything by connecting via ssh and doing it all on the command line.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: frith]
    #11940517 -

I know all that silly :grin:

I mean as far as the actual streaming.


--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.


Download PSX ISOs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #11941199 -

tack that broad con based card back to the store you got it from and tell them it's a DOA
or at least warn people it's a windblows ONLY wifi card and only works with the original
(read on the cd that came with it) OEM drivers 
I had one and could not even find out the name of the file the driver was in so I could use a wrapper with the driver and none of the drivers I found on line would work with the wrapper or not even the ones from linksys or broad con's web site windblowes the only windblows drivers that would work were the ones that came with it
so if you lose the original cd that came with it it is dead throw it in the trash


--------------------
There is more joy in heaven over one of us perfected,
  than over ninety-nine naturally evolved angels.

Edited by arainbow (02/01/10 10:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: arainbow]
    #11941945 -

legallyhomeless said:
I know all that silly :grin:

I mean as far as the actual streaming.



ahh got it. its choppy right now. unless i kill the torrent clients and dont really use the thinkpad too heavily.

it also depends on if the router feels like working.. its almost dead so im replacing it with a gigabit wireless N router. im upgrading the entire network. im just going to run cable to them instead of deal with the wifi nonsense. im getting the intel wireless N card and swapping it with the one in the thinkpad.

arainbow said:
tack that broad con based card back to the store you got it from and tell them it's a DOA
or at least warn people it's a windblows ONLY wifi card and only works with the original
(read on the cd that came with it) OEM drivers 
I had one and could not even find out the name of the file the driver was in so I could use a wrapper with the driver and none of the drivers I found on line would work with the wrapper or not even the ones from linksys or broad con's web site windblowes the only windblows drivers that would work were the ones that came with it
so if you lose the original cd that came with it it is dead throw it in the trash



i have only ever used these cards on linux. it took me about 10min to set up. you dont use ndiswrapper. you download the firmware for the chip you have and use fwcutter.

if you run Ubuntu then using the Restricted Driver Manager should do everything for you.

i use Arch and did it all manually.

to do it yourself you need to determine your chipset. just run lspci and it should say something like:
Code:

05:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)



that says i have the BCM43xx chip. what i did was use b43-firmware from the Arch User Repository and b43-fwcutter from the core repository.

i also see listed in the AUR a package called broadcom-wl which seems to be pretty popular. that might contain everything you need. ive never used it so i cant say.


either way, setting these up in linux is not difficult at all as long as you can use google and/or ask your question in a forum with semi competent people (LinuxQuestions.org, Ubuntu forums, etc).


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: frith]
    #11943155 -

been there done that nether of them worked
fw-cutter would not work on the driver files that came with it (the only drivers that would work with windblows ) not the vistool or xp versions
it was an n-type wireless usb adapter this was last august I spent 60 hours on it
I got no replies to my questions at linux questions ( I forget exactly what model )
I even posted the out put from lspci along with my kernel version and distro name and the specs of my computer so it wasn't because I gave them too little info
I called linksys help line all they told me was we do not support linux and refused to tell me the name of the driver file
I emailed broad con the first reply was go to linksys after broad con got bitched out about linksys's reply in my email the only solution would have been to down grade my O/S to 32 bit (atomant)
I even installed windblows to test the drivers and found that the only drivers that would work with windblowd were the ones that came with it

my new rule is bring the computer with me run lspci for what ever usb any thing then find an open source driver for it or don't buy it

this left such a bad taste in my mind that I now consider every thing broad con and linksys to be windblows only
I did get a net-gear usb n-type wifi adapter it works great even in n-mode and has a kernel driver


--------------------
There is more joy in heaven over one of us perfected,
  than over ninety-nine naturally evolved angels.

Edited by arainbow (02/01/10 04:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: arainbow]
    #11943628 -

it depends on the chipset version number. i dont believe the b43 module works with wireless n but i could be wrong.

there are downloads right on the broadcom site for wireless n linux drivers.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

the particular chipset you had may have been too new and a driver hadnt been developed/released yet. :shrug:

ive been using broadcom for years, both with standard black box systems and apple hardware. ive never had any problems with it.

like i said, these pci cards absolutely work with linux. i have it running right now. before i installed Arch on one of the machines i ran the Ubuntu live disc. it picked up the card automatically. that was version 9.04. i can only assume it still works in 9.10.. i dont really use Ubuntu.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: frith]
    #11947940 -

been there done that first thing I tried as fact of the matter
it did not work for me
problem solved I returned it to the store I got it from and told them it was DOA
after 40 hours fighting with it I installed vis-stool and started looking for a windoze driver that would first work with windoze before I even tried it with a linux wrapper 17 hours later I still had not found a driver to try with the wrapper
the one and only driver I found that would work with windoze was on the CD that came with it none of the files on the CD would do anything but seg fault fw-cutter most of the online drivers did work with
fw-cutter
as a test of my build of fw-cutter
but none of the online drivers would work with windoze so I didn't even try them with the wrappers

I hate with all my heart to admit failure when it comes to linux so I wasted 60 hours on the damned thing


--------------------
There is more joy in heaven over one of us perfected,
  than over ninety-nine naturally evolved angels.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: wifi cards [Re: arainbow]
    #11948020 -

whatever. you had issues but its not impossible to get running on linux, obviously, considering thats where it use it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* a warrning about broadcom wifi for linux users arainbow 684 12 09/02/09 09:39 AM
by tak
* Wifi question... Gumby 1,110 9 07/16/08 03:51 AM
by Seuss
* Windows 7 drivers & Dual Boot Jrsxt 639 6 01/24/09 09:48 PM
by Jrsxt
* Building a Bi-quad wifi dish ZippoZM 1,181 3 10/26/08 03:58 AM
by Seuss
* turn wifi antenna into router drSE 695 3 05/04/09 12:04 AM
by abetterlie
* Smart Card software Pinhead 981 4 01/29/04 05:09 PM
by ragadinks
* New ATI drivers include cool solar system simulations jdirty 6,981 3 06/02/07 02:46 PM
by HELLA_TIGHT
* Video card install problems - PLEASE HELP! WhiteBunny 929 4 06/05/06 10:06 PM
by iateshaggy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
654 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.