Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
a quick questions
    #1375697 - 03/14/03 11:23 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

my local supermarkey retailer would like to know in short, what the deal is with cold shocking, when it should be done, the conditions, how cold . . . etc. If anyone could help me help him, it would be most appreciated. thanks in advance.

oh and then, with pinnning, when should he expect it, after cold shocking, and will he be able to recognize it when it happens, he's new, been researching for awhile, but still has these little questions. thanks.

real men hang out in cow pasteures

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: a quick questions [Re: switchstants]
    #1375896 - 03/14/03 12:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I understand there is some uncertanty in your mind. As no matter how much you read, you still dont have that first experience.

Cold shocking isnt neccesary, sometimes it is done when a cake/casing is being stuborn and wont pin. If while your cakes are colonizing in an incubator, the temperature difference at birth should suffice enough without cold shocking to initiate pinning.

Pinning is just a matter of time. It happens when ever the mycelium thinks there are favorable conditions (cooler temp, fresh Oxygen, enough nutrients and water). A cooler temp and light usually signifies it has reached a surface and that it can grow out. As long as you keep these conditions, it's just a matter of time. Unfortunately, it varies sometimes, sometimes only days or even hours and other times weeks almost months.

You should see when pinning starts. You probably wont recognized it right off the bat, but you will be able to tell with a little looking. I'm sure one the search is working again you can find many pics of primordia(sp?) and pinning. It starts off as kind of a little collection of mycelium in a little tiny lump that grows out. It will turn darker and the head will form, with a deeper color. After that it just looks like a minature mushroom and just growing larger in dimensions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation