Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time * 1
    #1373322 - 03/13/03 03:04 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

When you think of dangerous groups in rock in roll, you usually think of hard, fast and loud groups. I don't think the most dangerous rock group in history is an aggressive group at all. In my opinion, The Grateful Dead is the most dangerous group in rock n roll history. Here's why.

The most dangerous thing a band could do is lead a movement that causes people to change their value system, think for themselves and question authority. Any band that leads a group of people who are known for taking certain chemicals that do just that, is a danger to the very structure that our society sits upon.

LSD, marijuana, psilocybin, ecstacy etc. etc. are a huge threat to every government on earth. What group has had more to do with the distribution of those drugs? The Grateful Dead have been the biggest carrier of the peace culture torch after the 1960's.

The jam bands who have followed in their footsteps, and have a similar scene, have also been intricle parts in spreading around mind expanding chemicals. These bands are dangerous as well, but they would not exist if it weren't for the band that even the US government is afraid of......The Grateful Dead.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (05/17/18 06:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

Loc: Atlanta
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: Learyfan]
    #1373341 - 03/13/03 03:15 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

I luv the Dead. The music has taught me so much; not neccisarily the kids who follow them around tho. For alot of them it is all about the $$.

To me one of the coolest things about the band as a whole is that they were so low key. You said that they helped people to think for themselves and question authority, which is true; But they never said to do so outright. I guess if they had,.. one wouldnt be thinking for themselves, right|? lol

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: joeshitragpicker]
    #1373395 - 03/13/03 03:35 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

It doesn't matter if anyone is in it for the money. The fact is that it's getting around because of them.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/17/18 06:37 AM)

InvisibleWebMycelium
Phish Phiend

Loc: Farmhouse
    #1373433 - 03/13/03 03:54 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Who would you blame the heroin and coke movement on?

--------------------
mycelium: (pl. mycelia, adj. mycelial)
Mass of hyphae constituting the body (thallus) of a fungus

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: WebMycelium]
    #1373611 - 03/13/03 05:11 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Whoever's bringing that shit over here I guess.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/17/18 06:37 AM)

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

#1374422 - 03/14/03 01:35 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I've heard theories saying the dead was on goverment pay roll, paid to keep the enlightend spinning around the country, high as shit, listening to music, in order to keep them from getting any real political activism done.

seems to me it worked.

--------------------
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." -Buddha
www.impeach-bush-now.org

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #1374446 - 03/14/03 01:48 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I've always considered Bob Marley and Peter Tosh the most dangerous musicians of all time.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: RadioActiveSlug] * 1
    #1374728 - 03/14/03 03:53 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

I've heard theories saying the dead was on goverment pay roll,  paid to keep the enlightend spinning around the country, high as shit, listening to music,  in order to keep them from getting any real political activism done.

seems to me it worked. 

That's the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while. I'm sure the goverment footed the bill for the Dead to travel around the country and turn on the youth of America. I wanted to be in the army until I went to my first Dead show, then my value system completely changed. I don't think the goverment would promote such things do you. Also in 90-95 the DEA spent million's and million's of dollars on there "Operation Dead End". This was started because they noticed that every time the band played a certain area it became flooded with LSD. After 8 years on Dead tour I have never seen any kind of goverment support for the Dead ,only harassment.
:cool: 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: chinacat72]
    #1375979 - 03/14/03 11:06 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

the dead used those alot too from what ive heard....

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: Vulture]
    #1376538 - 03/14/03 03:27 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Heroin and coke? was that really movement? i thought it was jsut an unfourtunet thing that happened.

--------------------
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." -Buddha
www.impeach-bush-now.org

OfflineschmutzenS
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: WebMycelium]
    #1376648 - 03/14/03 04:27 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

The CIA

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: schmutzen]
    #1376677 - 03/14/03 04:41 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Cheers

--------------------
www.impeach-bush-now.org

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #1376689 - 03/14/03 04:46 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

A very excellent post Learyfan  :grin: 

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

#1376694 - 03/14/03 04:50 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

The thing is, the Grateful Dead was jsut a band. Sure a great Band, but a band just the same. They may have taken psychedelics, but i'm sure they didn't deal, or make them. It was the heads who were responsable for that.

--------------------
www.impeach-bush-now.org

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: RadioActiveSlug] * 1
    #1376709 - 03/14/03 04:59 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

The Grateful Dead wasn't just a band. It is a culture. The deadhead's are just as much part of the Grateful Dead as the band. It's something you can't really explain and understand unless you witnessed it. :cool: 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: RadioActiveSlug]
    #1377269 - 03/15/03 01:12 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

They may have taken psychedelics, but i'm sure they didn't deal, or make them.

Actually,in the sixties they were well connected to the infamous Stanly Augustus Owsley,one of the biggest underground LSD manufacturers in history.Owsley bought a lot of their equipment when they were first starting out in San Francisco.Later on,they lived together with Owsley in LA.In the attic of the house,Owsley had an old German pill pressing machine that produced microdots of the famous Orange Sunshine acid from the pure crystal.Rumor has it that the machine spit out small amounts of crystal(or relatively huge amounts of LSD) that would end of being blown around the house. Supposedly,everybody in the house tripped for weeks and became basically inmune to the acid from being around it so much.

Dead circles have always been know to be large distributors of LSD.And at least early on,the band itself,was connected to the process.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: monoamine]
    #1377320 - 03/15/03 01:54 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

SO they made them? your jsut saying their friend made them, the band didn't make them, they were too busy tripping, and jamming.

What i'm saying is the scene created the dead, not the other way around.

--------------------
www.impeach-bush-now.org

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: RadioActiveSlug]
    #1377434 - 03/15/03 04:00 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Well,they didn't make the acid per say,as in they didn't do any of the chemistry,but they did help with the pill pressing machine.And from what I've heard,they helped Owsley make connections to sell the LSD.All this stuff with the Dead,Owsley,Ken Kesey and the Marry Pranksters,and Tim Leary all came together.

Quote:

What i'm saying is the scene created the dead, not the other way around

It was,more likely,a symbiosis.The Dead helped create the scene,but the scene also helped create the Dead.The Dead were a small,but important part.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: monoamine] * 1
    #1377490 - 03/15/03 04:47 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Don't take this personally :smile: but the book you got your information from "Living with the Dead" by Rock Sckully is trash. It's full of lie's including the bit about the pill press. Rock was kicked out of the scene for stealing money and wrote that book as a vendeta and a way to make money. It's a very interesting read ,but full of bullshit. Owsley,Phil Lesh, Hunter and the rest of the band are discusted by the book and say it's mostly ficticous. If you want to read the best and most truthful book on the Dead get Dennis McKnally's"long syrange Trip". Jerry hired Dennis(who is a doctor of history) to be the historian for the band back in the early 80's. It's a long book and a great read. It was written with the help and cooperation of the entire Dead family.
And yes Owsleys acid did by the band there equipment and support them. It tells it all and is exciting as Rocks book ,but the difference is it tells the truth.
If you really want the inside perspective of the life of the Dead read this book. You won't be sorry. I read Rocks book when it first came out and had a feeling it was crap. Then I heard what the band said about it and took it out into my back yard and burnt it. :grin:Rock Sckully isn't allowed to be anywhere near a Dead show or he will be beat senseless. His book portrayed the band as just another group of junkie's and doesn't even try to capture the magic of the Dead. 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Edited by chinacat72 (03/15/03 05:39 AM)

Offlinewecontrolsweetfreedom
mike

Loc: hardees
Re: Grateful Dead, the most dangerous band of all time [Re: chinacat72]
    #1378560 - 03/15/03 02:10 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

ya see, learyfan, the dead were trying to create a complete society... they kinda fell off the train halfway in the middle. If everyone were down with the greatfuldead, then we'd have no problem, because that way everyone would be on drugs and psycologically aware of everything and all be ideal people in their ideal world, if that's making any sense to you. It's kinda hard to explain, but i think if you think about it and apply yourself, you'll get it. Furthermore, i believe that everyone who isn't conforming to their styles is "dangerous", because they're fucking up the dead society, and setting a bad exanple... shame on the suits

--------------------
everyday's a saturday my friend

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies