Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon San Pedro, Shpongle

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Music
    #1365628 - 03/11/03 11:03 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I would like to share my thoughts about music. There is a lot of ground here to cover, I'm not going to be able to cover all of it, so I ask you guys for help.
Music has the power of carrying a lot more than the notes played; it carries with it the headspaces of the people that created the music, the emotions that they felt, the intent of the music they made, etc.
Music is a carrier of emotion and thought. Music can be made to be inspiring. Music can be made for people to have a good time, music can be made to sadden people, and music can be made to hypnotize millions of people to march for an evil dictator hellbent on domination.
A neat thing about music is that not one single piece of music has ever been played or recorded that was ever the same as any other piece. Even if it is the same band (same members, same equipment, etc.), it will never be exactly the same because of the moods the players are in, their intents, their feelings, etc. (although, the song will pretty damn close to the original).
Johnathan Davis from Korn isn't going to sing the same kind of things that David Lee Roth from Van Halen does, because they are different people with different experiences.
Music is the creative and original Earthly voice of the soul. Every musician has something different to say.
One of the things I love the most when I am stoned is putting in the music and cranking her up. I just let the music absorb into my mind. I learn from it. I enjoy it.
What I like most is how each different band has their own unique world. The best bands are the ones who realize this and use it to make their music.
Basically, it all comes down to soundscape.
Anyways, feel free to add your own thoughts on the subject. Thanks for listening to me.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Music [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1365686 - 03/11/03 11:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Organized sound really helps me "think different."

The more complex the composition, and the deeper 'into it' I feel at the moment, the more complex the thought-structure gets. Music without lyrics is usually what I prefer, so that there are no trains of thought or ideas CLEARLY SPELLED-OUT for me to follow - the more vague it is, the better.

heh just a couple random observations re: the Magic of Music..

Re: "What I like most is how each different band has their own unique world. The best bands are the ones who realize this and use it to make their music. Basically, it all comes down to soundscape."
You guys have heard enough Shpongle praise from me already, but I have to recommend it to you specifically, fireworks_god, because soundscapes and audio-environments ('textured sounds,' 'walls' with different reverbs in different locations, sounds choreographed in more detail than I've ever come across) are what Shpongle is all about.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (03/11/03 11:19 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1365694 - 03/11/03 11:17 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

One thing I'd like to add is that the musicians have to have talent and experience to be able to design their music to carry certain emotions and such. A guy that has only been playing guitar and singing for three months is only going to write songs that reflect a novice writing songs when there is no capablilies of writing good songs...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1365705 - 03/11/03 11:21 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

re: experience...

Mozart did pretty well without much experience, I recall..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1365713 - 03/11/03 11:22 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Another thing that is sort of weird about music.
Me and my band have helped a local singer songwriter, Tim Jamaica, record some of his songs. After practicing them a couple of times, we go to this professional studio and record a song. After sitting there and playing the music together with the head phones on (we are all in different recording areas of the studio), then sitting back while he records the singing parts, the finished product is listened to. The monitor system has crystal clear definition and power, and everything is properly equalized. It is just mindblowing to listen to it all be played back to you.
Everytime we have done this, listening to the finished songs puts me into this sort of stoned, aware mood.
I haven't really done a good job explaining everything, but it really is quite interesting to me (i can't wait until my band records OUR songs).
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1365729 - 03/11/03 11:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

re: last post - you mean making music gets you high? Me too.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Music [Re: Strumpling]
    #1365733 - 03/11/03 11:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Not exactly.
Mozart was, first off, a genius.
Second off, his parents were talented musicians.
Thirdly, a combination of the two. Basically, all he ever did since he was capable of moving was involved with music. Whether listening to it, or just hitting keys on a piano, music was all he was ever involved with.
So, it was a lot of experience in a little time.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1365754 - 03/11/03 11:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Not exactly making music, but the culmination of hearing his original musical ideas and his intentions for them, playing them together in my drummer's basement, then going to a professional studio (a different world entirely, time becomes irrelevant in there. not a good thing, when you pay for that time that you can't tell is passing), and finally hearing the finished song. It just sort of shakes me around a bit.
I am working on developing the power of putting full focus on whatever I'm doing. It'll be interesting listening to music with full focus (let alone playing bass).
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1365777 - 03/11/03 11:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:grin:Thanks for the Shpongle suggestion, man. Thanks to a good friend of mine who showed us the world of trance, I am already an avid fan of Shpongle and Infected Mushroom. I listen to metal and am pursuing a career in it; however, trance music is the most creative and structured music of all time. All hail trance, and, as the quote often goes, "Shpongle is god". 

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1365789 - 03/11/03 11:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Whats cool about trance is people get to use synthesizers to kind of invent their own instruments.

We've heard the wide variety of things guitars can do for a LONG TIME now, but we're just getting started with electronic equpiment

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (03/11/03 11:43 AM)

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1366167 - 03/11/03 02:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

trance music is the most creative and structured music of all time

awesome man

Noise maker (infected mushroom) (mescaline) - I was sitting there its like god talked to me through the music. (it probibly wasn't a voice but more like a thought) "can't you see its me?", I jumped back said "woohhh that was god dude!"

Astrology (power plant) (mescaline) - Devine revelations in to life and the future! (when i worry about the future, some how the trip will enlighten me, for not to worry) How god makes all music, he makes THE music. God is the rythem in to which will live to. (this is a great trance song guys)

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Invisibleadrug

Re: Music [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1366421 - 03/11/03 03:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Music is my refuge. I have virtually no musical talent aside from piano playing, but listening to music is one of the most uplifting and satisfying things you can do. I'm in college and am in class 40 hours a week. Most of that time, I'm sitting in front of my computer. If I didn't have my many gigs of mp3s and my headphones, I think I would go crazy. :grin:

Also, I'm one of those people who can't hold still for music. I'll either be tapping my feet, my fingers, a pencil, bouncing my knee, dancing around in circles, SOMETHING, I just have to be moving.

Edited by adrug (03/11/03 03:30 PM)

OfflineFunGuyFan
Stranger

Loc: Hack Hack Cough Cough
Re: Music [Re: adrug]
    #1369560 - 03/12/03 03:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I thrive on music I can definitely say that I would not be the person I am without music. I love all types and will not shut any out until I have given it a try. Trance is great, and yes Shpongle is wonderful. I am a huge drum n' bass fan too. Some of my favorites are LTJ Bukem especially with MC Conrad, they just fuckin flow and of course Kruder and Dorfmeister. I could name artist all day and night but unfortunately I don't have that much time. But music has and always will be one of my greatest inspirations in life. :cool:

--------------------

"Don't touch me while your laughing maniacally"

Anonymous

#1369674 - 03/12/03 04:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

One thing I've noticed about music is that it recharges my mental/emotional energy. If I go a couple days without listening to any, I feel really drained. Then as I'm listening I can actually feel my energy level increasing, until a point where I get tired of listening and I feel like my tank is full.  :grin:

So I guess you could say I "need" music, because I would be really depressed without it. 

OfflineeoPh
scruffy hippyboy

Loc: the magical land of canad...
    #1370738 - 03/12/03 09:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with you completely, man

I know nothing greater, nothing more truely accelerating, than jamming. We have a couple different projects we play with (some heavier electric stuff with everything turned up and me attacking the skins with a pair of big fat hickory sticks, some lighter stuff with an acoustic guitar and brushes, some strange rockabilly/cowpunk satire type thing, and a project dedicated to corny, a-typical loves songs), but we try to keep everything completely impromptu. The closest thing to a written out song is some lyrics scribbled in a notebook. Nothing ever comes out the same, because every time we jam is later on in life than the time before. People change as they experience more of life, and our music becomes an expression of our ever-changing souls. I've talked for hours with people on the phenomena of music, because for some reason, music never ceases to amaze me.

--------------------
[I do not, nor have I or will I ever grow mushrooms; the mushrooms grow themselves]

"You say nothing's right but natural things
Ah, you fool
Poison oak is a natural plant
Why don't you put some in your food"
(Jefferson Airplane, "Eat Starch Mom")

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #1371309 - 03/13/03 04:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

"One good thing about Music
Is it makes you feel okay"

You know what I wish?
I wish the average music-listener would appreciate the genius of great classical music.
And since the orchestra has been used for HUNDREDS of years, and the guitar has been used in the last 60 years more often and numerous than ever, I wish there would be a new brand of composer.
To compose something so complex and highly structured such as classical music (not necessarily from Classical Period) with something electronic.
I know it exists already, i've heard brilliance such as this in Chemical Brothers, Shpongle, etc. But, MORE. neeeed more...
I also hear it in rock--- TOOL. how brilliantly complex and innovative.

I just dream of a world not so jaded by fuckin pop music. I want complex like Strump, but not only in creating new sounds (even tho that is the new frontier, and is beautiful in its own sense).

Anyways, It is interesting that no piece of music is ever the same, even when played twice by the same band. Yet, everything is borrowed from something else. Even if it is just an influence heard in a band's tune, those are the good bands. I-IV-V has been used for a century, in billions of ways. Yet every version is different. with only 12 notes (albeit in different registers), you'd think music would run out eventually. But you're right, it is all about soundscape.

Sonic Art seems to come from the place inside where feelings and emotion is generated. This classifies music as a higher level of communication. Visual Art can be so as well, but it cannot portray such environments as music. You hear a bird chirp and you know you're in nature. It puts you there. You see a bird painted and you think, hey.. that's a bird.

I'm grateful this came up, because i love every chance to talk about my passion. I study music, and intend on making it my life. It is incredibly fun to study HOW a song puts you in such a mood. Why does Tchaikovksy's 6th symphony put one in a state of despair and feel they may never escape fate? Yet why does Beethoven's Third symphony make life seem like a parade? Or why does Zeppelin's Lemon Song make you wanna have sex?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

Re: Music [Re: Blastrid]
    #1372760 - 03/13/03 01:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:singing:

"Everything that ever was... is a song that is sung into existance..."

i like to breathe with the music...
it has guided me through more than one heroic dose.

in the entheogenic state Nothing can compare to the 5th Dimensional Technicolor Holo-Symphony that is YOU.

it's funny we use music to entertain ourselves, when we could be using it to build Monoliths, fly Hyperships, and power the Planet.

Edited by soundmind (03/13/03 01:44 PM)

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Music [Re: Middleman]
    #1373037 - 03/13/03 02:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

it's funny we use music to entertain ourselves, when we could be using it to build Monoliths, fly Hyperships, and power the Planet.

Or heal people, or create peace, or unite All as One.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

Re: Music [Re: Blastrid]
    #1373968 - 03/13/03 09:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

speaking of new ideas...

please have a listen to a new song i'm currently working on, Myth, and tell me what you think.

it contains spoken word by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers.

Edited by soundmind (03/14/03 09:21 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Music [Re: Middleman]
    #1375066 - 03/14/03 07:37 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

All I can say is that the world will be different forever when my band gets rolling full force. Awhile back I realized that I am the only person who can make my life what I want it to be, and that I DO have the power to make it whatever I want.
I will not rest until I change metal forever. Black Sabbath did it, Metallica did it, Guns N Roses did it, Nirvana did it (although I don't favor what THEY did), Korn did it. I will be the next to do it.
I don't know how many of you play guitar or bass on here (although I'd like to hear from you, PM me!), but I hope there are some on here to identify with I'm about to say.
I treat my ability and technique on bass guitar as something that I want to forever expand and improve. My playing of the instrument (my technique), actually, the instrument itself, too, I treat as part of me. So I am constantly expanding my abilities on my instrument because I treat my abilities as a part of me that the world sees, and I want the world to see the best that I am capable of (although I play guitar for myself and myself only).
What I like about playing when stoned (or tripping, I've only played bass once while tripping and it was before I concentrated on mastering) is the power of full focus. It seems I catch a glimpse of my talent somewhere down the road when I play stoned, and afterwards, I work sober on getting to that place. (I don't want to rely on a foreign substance to play guitar, only to give me a glimpse of my abilities in the future). I am always working on playing with full focus when I am sober, too. There is so much energy we waste for no reason from day to day, and I am trying to take that energy and put it to constructive use.
A couple of days ago I had some trouble warming up and I began to question why I was playing and that my life was headed nowhere (those damn negative thoughts, this time more powerful than ever). I about set down the guitar, but I decided that no matter what, I wasn't setting it down. I relaxed and just cleared my mind, and started playing. Then I smoked two bowls of marijuana with opium sprinkled on top (hehehe) and played my best ever. I'm now working on getting to that level on my own.
Anyways, sorry about rambling on. I just got caught up in the subject I love the most! LOL
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon San Pedro, Shpongle

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology