Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF?
    #13222881 -

Hey guys. So my 12 PF jars of Cambodian are all 80% or better. Some look ready, but I'm going to be extra safe and make sure everything is 100% before moving on.

I have a martha and an ultrasonic humidifier already setup, but most of the teks I see using Marthas are using casings instead of cakes. Since this is my first time I'd like to stick to cakes, but still use my equipment.

So... my plan was to get 3 plastic tubs and put 4 cakes in each, and put in the martha.

My questions are...

Should I put lids on the tubs? lids and drill holes with poly? If someone wants to just explain the best FC for cakes in a martha, thats all I need.

Do I need to close off the bottom of the martha with plastic?

Is it a necessity to pipe the humidified air to the top of the martha? or can I just place it on the bottom shelf and let it blow upward?

I'm planning on dunking the cakes in the fidge for 24 hrs and rolling in fine verm. is it possible to get them TOO cold?

Thanks for the help guys. I really really do appreciate it. Im gonna keep searching around and reading...


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Edited by BlazinBlizzard (09/20/10 04:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13223431 -

BlazinBlizzard said:
Hey guys. So my 12 PF jars of Cambodian are all 80% or better. Some look ready, but I'm going to be extra safe and make sure everything is 100% before moving on.

I have a martha and an ultrasonic humidifier already setup, but most of the teks I see using Marthas are using casings instead of cakes. Since this is my first time I'd like to stick to cakes, but still use my equipment.

So... my plan was to get 3 plastic tubs and put 4 cakes in each, and put in the martha.

My questions are...

Should I put lids on the tubs? lids and drill holes with poly? If someone wants to just explain the best FC for cakes in a martha, thats all I need.

Do I need to close off the bottom of the martha with plastic?

Is it a necessity to pipe the humidified air to the top of the martha? or can I just place it on the bottom shelf and let it blow upward?

I'm planning on dunking the cakes in the fidge for 24 hrs and rolling in fine verm. is it possible to get them TOO cold?

Thanks for the help guys. I really really do appreciate it. Im gonna keep searching around and reading...





You should drill a shit load of small holes all over the tubs.....

rather than explain follow my link its call a shotgun fruiting chamber. its what you want for cakes. Trust me.

RR's shotgun terrarium tek
-> http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

you really don't need the martha yet... not for the BRF cakes... you will when you start trays though. good luck!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: ProfessorPinHead]
    #13224662 -

I am really not trying to discourage you, just relaying what I went through very recently.

IMO...Cakes are no good in a martha. I went through hell with them. Cakes belong in a shotgun terrarium.

I had the best results putting my cakes on my huge tubs of pearlite. And still, disappointing.

I'm no expert. But here's what I think. Either make a shotgun style tub of some sorts to put in your martha. Or spawn the cakes to coir.

Here's my grow log and you may want to read over my martha thread just to see what I went through and how the many helpful people on shroomery pointed me in the right directions.

Your best bet IMO is to learn as much as you can about grains and trays and move on ASAP if your going to use a martha. Or take a step back, put using the martha on hold and build some SGFC.

Edited by Pandor (09/20/10 10:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Pandor]
    #13224842 -

Mini shotgun in the martha, it slips in like any other tub.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Doc_T]
    #13226955 -

Ok guys thanks alot for the help. Especially Pandor!!!

Im going to build 2 or 3 small shotguns for this first grow and put them in the martha. Im going to put the ultrasonic on the bottom self and have it simply blast humdi-air up, on a timer on for 30 mins. off for 3 hours.

I will fill the shotguns with damp perlite, drill a good number of smaller holes, and possibly a few big ones stuffed with polyfil for good FAE. I might cut a few windows in the martha for better FAE but it is in a closet afterall so....?

Does all this sound right on track? After all this good colon id hate to fuck up now.

After this grow I guess ill bite the bullet and start looking into grains and trays. Im going for bulk anyway so the plan was always to eventually stop using cakes...

Also maybe if it was a little easyer I could start off spawning cakes to a sub to trays. instead of jumping right into grain?

I guess Ill worry about that later.

Anymore help on my shotgun questions or ideas would be great. Im basically at 100% col. Im about to start that extra week or 10 days I keep hearing about b4 birthing...


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13226989 -

.....Or I could just build one huge tub. Put ALL of the cakes in it. and pump the ultrasonic directly into it.. maybe cut a few big holes w/ poly for FEA?

god damn it, decisions decisions....


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13227011 -

heres a picture just so you guys can see how hopeful I am :ooo:





I love this hobby


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13228873 -

okay. well I decided to build one small shotgun and go ahead and dunk two cakes that I had  left in my incubator at a little too high temp (90-93). Leaving my other 12 alone.  Just to get the feel for all the building and birthing and dunking processes.

The cakes are being dunked now (16hrs total) and in the morning will be rolled in verm baked at 350 and placed into this chamber.




Full Set-up. Martha with a shotgun. ultrasonic on bottom shelf (on 30 mins off 2 hrs) I plan to turn on that small 12in flor for a few hours a day. maybe get a timer? That should be enough light right?



It seems to be maintaining 75degrees and 94% rH.



If I have any luck with this small one Im going to scale up to this bigger one when my 12 real cakes are ready in another week...



--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13229014 -

You can click on the pictures tab to upload pics to your account then they don't take up so much space and people can just click on them to enlarge them.

Your cakes will need plenty of fresh air, so be sure to open that up and fan them often. A closet is not the best place for a FC. You may even need to cut slits in your plastic, but I would do that last since that is permanent. I think more holes in the tub would probably be a good idea. Also, inside the SG style tub, you need to keep the humidity at 99. It may stay up there once there is more evaporation from the pearlite.

Once your cakes reach full colonization, you should wait a week because that gives them a little extra time to make sure the insides are completely colonized.

May want to consider more light as well. I mounted lights to the wall around my greenhouse. The best place for a light is not always the top.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Pandor]
    #13230818 -

okay so I dunked (16hrs) and rolled(sterilized verm) and placed the 2 cakes into my minishotgun inside my martha. Then misted the outside of the dry verm (just this one time)

The rH is now reading 99% and my temp is staying 68 - 74.

I had the ultrasonic going for 30 mins every 2 hrs but woke up this morning to condensation on the walls and floor of the martha.

I set it at 30 mins every 4 hours, and will see how that works.

Im going to get a timer today for the small florescent, and buy a few more lights when I birth the other 12 cakes.

Any suggestions? I dont really plan to mist at all, just fan once a day.. When should I start hopefully seeing pins? anything I forgot or will need to do?






Thanks shroomers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13230828 -

Did anybody mention about how that's not a shotgun fc?


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Doc_T]
    #13230975 -

You need to put way more holes in that spaced every 2 inches on all sides if your trying to make a SGFC you should follow the teks to have better results with your grow. The teks have been test and we know they work theres nothing wrong with experimenting but for your first grow you should just use a method that has been proven to work.


--------------------

Check out my
My Trade List  :opensign:

Check out my
wanted Strain List  :opensign:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Doc_T]
    #13231235 -

Doc_T said:
Did anybody mention about how that's not a shotgun fc?




So more holes all around it...

What else did I do wrong? I looked at the tek....?

The holes are for FAE and to keep rH at 99% correct? If Im fanning everyday and maintaining 99% rH with the holes the way they are is it really necessary to drill more?

Note that I have 9 on the bottom and 15 on the top and then a line all the way across... plus the two huge holes with polyfill...

Will what ive done really effect performance as long as FAE and Rh are satisfied? Id prefer not to mess with them unless I really fucked up....


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Edited by BlazinBlizzard (09/22/10 12:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13235296 -

It could work if you fan the hell out of it. Often. But why not just use the tek. Notice I said could not will.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Pandor]
    #13236622 -

Ya I acually just read so many teks I must have mixed and matched on accident.

This is just my test chamber. I did end up drilling a ton more holes tho. And on
My big chamber I'll do them more like the tek.

So fan alot and no mist is the best plan?


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13238479 -

looks like Im gonna have to fan 2-4 times a day and a mist as needed....


What are the first signs of fruit growth? pins or small amounts of white fuzz?


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13238551 -

BlazinBlizzard said:
looks like Im gonna have to fan 2-4 times a day and a mist as needed....


What are the first signs of fruit growth? pins or small amounts of white fuzz?



Bro,

You did not notice it, but the best answer that you got
came from Doc_T. (Doc is terse....read some of my rambles
and you'll like his approach)

Look up SGFC in this forum.  You drill 1/4" holes on all
six (but does he need a cover?) sides of the tub, put 4"
of soaked and drained perlite in the bottom, and place
the cake on small foil squares on the perlite.

When you read about Shotgun Fruiting Chambers, you will
see that there is an interesting physics happening.

Upshot: you need the holes.

Good luck!

JD


--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: Javadog]
    #13238723 -

Javadog said:
BlazinBlizzard said:
looks like Im gonna have to fan 2-4 times a day and a mist as needed....


What are the first signs of fruit growth? pins or small amounts of white fuzz?



Bro,

You did not notice it, but the best answer that you got
came from Doc_T. (Doc is terse....read some of my rambles
and you'll like his approach)

Look up SGFC in this forum.  You drill 1/4" holes on all
six (but does he need a cover?) sides of the tub, put 4"
of soaked and drained perlite in the bottom, and place
the cake on small foil squares on the perlite.

When you read about Shotgun Fruiting Chambers, you will
see that there is an interesting physics happening.

Upshot: you need the holes.

Good luck!

JD




Thanks man. Im pretty hopeful, for a first timer everything seems to be going pretty well so far.

I dont have any pictures up after I put more holes in but I do have several rows of holes on all 6 sides now plus the 2 large holes with polyfill plus fanning I should have plentyyy of FAE. And my rH has stayed at 99% for the last few days. I have a new larger blue spectrum light on a 12/12 timer... no signs of contams.

As far as fruiting conditions go I  think Im getting there


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: BlazinBlizzard]
    #13238867 -

no no no, don't even call your construction a Shotgun FC. Because if your abortion there fails, you go walking around telling people that shotgun FC's don't work.
99% is not even necessary if you build the chamber like you're supposed to. That's one 1/4" hole ever 2" measured from the diagonal. This will work within a range of RH%'s encountered in most households (open indoor environment, 30% - 75% RH). What you're doing there is breaking the physics that allows air exchange to happen, as well as evaporation from the cakes at a proper speed.

Good luck to you, live and learn. If your chamber doesn't work i suggest you try a properly built one before you tell people they don't work.


--------------------

we all breathe the same air, drink the same water, and draw our strength from the same giant fireball.


:pm:Help me with my collection (trades only)



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Almost Ready to Fruit. Martha + PF? [Re: rave420]
    #13239006 -

rave420 said:
no no no, don't even call your construction a Shotgun FC. Because if your abortion there fails, you go walking around telling people that shotgun FC's don't work.
99% is not even necessary if you build the chamber like you're supposed to. That's one 1/4" hole ever 2" measured from the diagonal. This will work within a range of RH%'s encountered in most households (open indoor environment, 30% - 75% RH). What you're doing there is breaking the physics that allows air exchange to happen, as well as evaporation from the cakes at a proper speed.

Good luck to you, live and learn. If your chamber doesn't work i suggest you try a properly built one before you tell people they don't work.



Like I said this was just a test chamber for these 2 cakes to hold me over till my 12 real cakes are ready. On my large chamber I will make sure to drill nothing but  holes 2in apart.

If I fail the first thing I would do is blame myself, not the sgfc, because I'm a noob


--------------------
:mushroom2: You get used to seeing things like your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one, should be asked to handle this trip. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* when to fruit my PF cakes? feared 2,119 10 07/02/02 01:18 PM
by Anno
* Perlite AND Ultrasonic Humidifier? patzee 1,539 1 05/26/01 11:06 AM
by shroomeatindude
* Re: PF Strain - Problem fruiting! cRoc 1,764 6 03/17/01 07:57 AM
by emetheus
* Humidity - PF Tek - Pins vs Fruits Bilge 3,466 1 10/01/02 10:06 AM
by mickey_rourke
* Rye cake fruiting Sillycybin 1,774 3 04/24/02 01:13 PM
by WakingUpLate
* should i lower humidy on pf cakes for fruiting? new945 2,060 1 05/05/01 01:20 PM
by DanDanTheShroomMan
* Does anyone out there use a ultrasonic humidifier? MycoFunGuy 3,371 7 09/11/02 12:10 AM
by DreaMaTrix
* Ultrasonic Air Exchange strain 896 1 03/14/02 12:25 AM
by bluhoney

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,415 topic views. 17 members, 333 guests and 135 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.041 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.